Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Santa Antonio 5K (Read 12 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 63rd race of 2015.  Held on Nov 29, 2015, the B.I.S.H. Foundation Santa Antonio 5K is the original Santa 5K in San Antonio and raises funds for cancer research at University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, a premier cancer treatment and research facility in Houston, and a sister university of the university I work for, UT-San Antonio, as both are part of University of Texas System.  B.I.S.H. Foundation (http://www.bishfoundation.net/ ) is operated by two great people I consider good friends, Adrian and Darlene Gonzalez, so I try to do this event whenever I can, in addition to the fact that this event is for such a great cause too - who of us aren't acquainted with someone we know personally or  a friend of someone we know who has been lost to this insidious disease known as cancer.   The entry fee included a Santa suit which participants get to keep.   It actually kind of makes my skin itch like crazy - yes, I'm such a delicate flower - so I ordered a size Small and then gave it to Adrian and Darlene and asked them to donate it to one of the kids or someone else at the center.  Since I donated my suite, Adrian kindly gave me a shirt instead...pretty nice

photo 115_zpsluechz4j.jpg

The race was held in the downtown area of San Antonio, starting and finishing at Sunset Station near the Alamodome where the NBA San Antonio Spurs play.   I usually do a 5K in about 32 - 34 minutes but this is such good 'photo-op" event, I made more stops on the course than I usually do and took more photos - so ended up with a chip time of 35:15, and finished 6th in my 60 - 69 age group...the first 4 guys in my age group finished in the 20s...there are some speedy old farts in my age group, lol.

BEFORE THE START

Got some pretty good rain on Saturday and Saturday night and still a bit of drizzle on Sunday morning, with temps in the lower 40s.  Roads were slick and parking in downtown San Antonio area is crazy, even on a Sunday morning at times. 9 a.m. start time, so I left the house at a time that would put me on site with a little under an hour to go before start time.   I think the weather may have deterred a few registrants from showing up, as I was able to find a nice parking spot in a lot pretty close to Sunset Station.  Had picked up my bib the day before, so got my timing chip on race day and then I went around taking some pre-start photos.

Sunset Station is an area of shoppes and hotels  that is very coral in color on several buildings and has a nice view of Tower of the Americas.  Used to be an active train station and now has a tourist train.

photo 003_zps3ylaozoc.jpg

photo 113_zpsm027mkuy.jpg

The pavilion where all the pre-and-post race activities took place

photo 005_zpspbxqnqjh.jpg

photo 006_zpsnr31fiq5.jpg

Santa Claus and me and Santa.  I told Santa with all these other Santas around I'd dress in my green shirt and 'Christmas Lights" socks, lol, and be the Elf

photo 028_zpsz6ulrwxi.jpg

photo 029_zpsqrz60lbt.jpg

Some of the volunteers, participants, etc....

photo 004_zpszifibn3e.jpg

photo 007_zpsdgzpecad.jpg

photo 008_zpsmbibbuyb.jpg

Darlene aka "Mrs. Claus" of B.I.S.H. Foundation on the left

photo 009_zpsj2kca7nb.jpg

Apologies to these folks for this bit of out-of-focus photo.....my camera is like me at times..old and slow and doesn't always do things right...

photo 010_zpsi7hbl7cy.jpg

photo 011_zpsryuzh768.jpg

photo 012_zpse4uud8pn.jpg

photo 013_zpszkwfkgyv.jpg

My pals, Catherine and Emma, who own a good local running store Run Wild Sports.  Emma always greets me when I arrive, she knows I have doggie treats for her, lol.

photo 014_zps48azxtrt.jpg

photo 015_zpssp3jtzna.jpg

My friend, Sandra, and her husband.  Sandra has overcome many "challenges" and is now out-and-about on the running scene again. Her hubby is a high school football coach who took over a team this year that had no wins last year - and got his team to the playoffs this year.  Way to go, Coach!

photo 018_zpsfzihquhh.jpg

photo 019_zpsfhazwylg.jpg

photo 020_zpsrpvdycer.jpg

photo 021_zpsxf1bcoqq.jpg

photo 023_zpsoao5lftd.jpg

photo 024_zpseu3sj2fu.jpg

photo 025_zpsdxoh5uhc.jpg

photo 026_zpstkfadqts.jpg

photo 027_zps90dq990b.jpg

photo 030_zpssguxaxfq.jpg

photo 031_zpsdhlgwvaj.jpg

At the start area.....

photo 035_zpsnuh6jkai.jpg

photo 032_zpsaks9rafh.jpg

photo 033_zpshcmigor4.jpg

photo 034_zps0yceaia9.jpg

photo 038_zpshmtn7sox.jpg

Ahead of me and behind me

photo 036_zpsabinlqve.jpg

photo 037_zpsmsswvnfx.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We started at Sunset Station, then made a loop around some of the downtown area roads, which included crossing over historic Hays Street bridge.  There was also a fairly good-sized uphill on the course and while going up that, I heard a lot of comments - including mine, lol - about how we must all be on Santa's "Naughty List" , lol, since he had us on hills for this course. Even so, it was a very nicely laid out course - and not an out-and-back one which I am not fond of, I much prefer loop courses - well thought out, with room to accommodate a crowd of people for the whole way.  The weather cooperated with us and we did not get rained on; I guess Mother Nature did not want to be on Santa's Naughty List either.    Lots of people were quite wrapped up - it was a bit chilly before we all started - but apparently got quite warm out there after they started running.  I saw several people stripping off their Santa coats or other attire they were wearing and just tying them around their waist, etc. I felt comfortable the whole way, in my regular running shorts, a base layer shirt and one of my short-sleeved running shirts over the top of that.

First walk break and first hill

photo 039_zpsyrmxb3ts.jpg

photo 040_zps2yjazw95.jpg

photo 041_zpslexcybce.jpg

photo 042_zpsyvsrrxvf.jpg

photo 043_zpsrmdkqr4g.jpg

photo 045_zpseeqmbtmg.jpg

After that smaller hill, we then went up a very long hill...not so steep but long...and I stopped when I got to the top and took a photo looking back...

photo 046_zpsl24vpjs4.jpg

Onto the historic Hays Street Bridge...

photo 047_zpsfcw6woxn.jpg

photo 048_zpslusm39z4.jpg

Looking back the way I'd just come

photo 049_zpsup81ldwp.jpg

On the bridge

photo 050_zpsgazz3mdq.jpg

Down the other side....

photo 051_zpsmbcbvwvu.jpg

photo 052_zpsasxs7btv.jpg

photo 053_zpsdqgdxnij.jpg

photo 054_zpsvzxnuu3w.jpg

photo 055_zpszidg5l0z.jpg

photo 056_zpsfhaffc6n.jpg

Volunteer at the bottom cheering us on

photo 057_zps2pdelfaz.jpg

After that, it was nonstop running all the way back to the finish.

AFTER THE FINISH

Post-race party in Sunset Station pavilion - which was very nice as it did start raining a bit after the finish and the wind picked up a bit, but we had the protection of the covered pavilion.  I had brought a cap with me to put on post-race in case of  "chill" and was glad to have that, kept me nice and comfortable post-run.

In the finish area....

photo 058_zpsig2dzgjf.jpg

photo 059_zpsykuljceq.jpg

photo 060_zpse5hnodsg.jpg

photo 061_zpscsxo0l4s.jpg

photo 063_zps71oa6me1.jpg

photo 064_zpsigc4sxfs.jpg

photo 065_zpsfblztklv.jpg

After those photos, I started back out on the course to go run/walk in with my friend, Sandra...but she was already finishing as I started out.....she has come a long way in her recuperation from some medical problems...and getting speedy again! She really is a Never Give Up type of person.

photo 062_zpseeudlc7g.jpg

At the pavilion area....full of Santas!

photo 076_zpstlej02w5.jpg

photo 077_zpsbf6fbdks.jpg

Live music

photo 074_zps6h14lwft.jpg

Dancers...

photo 075_zps6smyka4k.jpg

photo 105_zps2atw4b3x.jpg

Well...the Halo Light belongs to at least two of the people in this photo...and I know you can guess which two, lol.

photo 106_zpsqgxmwd4o.jpg

OK..that's more honest...at least for me, anyway...  ...these were lovely people who provided entertainment and many smiles.  I enjoyed meeting them and chatting with them.

photo 108_zpsol0kr7wp.jpg

Went to find out what the post race goodies were.....

Tamales;  the first time I ever had tamales I didn't know how to eat them..so I ate the whole thing, inside and outside...the outside, as I recall, was very....chewy.; much to the amusement of my more 'eating experienced"  friends, lol, who didn't say anything and just watched.  Hey, what did I know?  At that time I was an 18-year old know-nothing kid who grew up in the Washington DC area and didn't know Mexican food from squat; and was now in the Air Force and it was my first time in Mexico. 

photo 087_zpsg5fxpirw.jpg

Bagles and the "angels' serving them..you can tell they are angels from their Halo Light behind them. 

photo 088_zpsnlmspfqh.jpg

photo 022_zpspnkipjw3.jpg

...and also found the beer.  There are lots of microbreweries now all over our local area and they all have good products...but Alamo Beer is still my favorite, as I love their stuff and also they support so many of the local races I choose to do each year.  Good stuff!

photo 080_zpsh2yavbzv.jpg

photo 081_zpsapx7x3rz.jpg

Oh yeah!

photo 082_zpsdocbphxa.jpg

Pulled Pork sandwiches...

photo 091_zpshttbesvm.jpg

photo 089_zps900cbo15.jpg

photo 090_zpsbwkvdwwe.jpg

This poor doggie was, with those hypnotizing eyes,  trying to mind-meld people eating into giving him some food...."You will give me food..."   lol.

photo 079_zpsw5ydoqx6.jpg

And, of course, lots of fun and smiles interacting with many many many of  the "Happy Finishers", volunteers, supporters, etc.

photo 066_zpsuvn9xggj.jpg

photo 068_zpspwho20vi.jpg

photo 070_zpsccrurooc.jpg

photo 071_zpss7hs5qtb.jpg

photo 072_zpszvtx9p7o.jpg

photo 073_zpspa3qwpzc.jpg

photo 078_zpsgjjh9xct.jpg

"Little Santa" got to ride on the route

photo 084_zpsmjnsrhzq.jpg

photo 086_zpszedyj1xz.jpg

The nose of "Rudolph" was blinking on and off throwing a red glow onto the face of her friend; didn't detract though....3 beautiful ladies.

photo 094_zpsk4yazwaj.jpg

photo 095_zpsly71zdik.jpg

photo 097_zpszsmq46lg.jpg

My good friend, Cecy (left) and her friends with their halo light

photo 098_zpsaglndcfd.jpg

photo 099_zpsbxl38bru.jpg

photo 100_zpszsen8ujg.jpg

photo 101_zpsynfrdpjx.jpg

Yes, this little lady left me in the dust on the course...and got 3rd in her age group.

photo 102_zps1el8gxf9.jpg

photo 109_zpstpizk6i9.jpg

Sandra and her husband...and HER halo light....she and her husband are two of the nicest people you could ever meet.

photo 110_zpslbmk8fqa.jpg

The iaapweb.com crew; a very good local race company of fantastic people that do timing, results, course set-up, etc.

photo 111_zpsj49sgjtm.jpg

photo 112_zpsvnw2ohgx.jpg

EPILOGUE

Super event!  If you ever get a chance to do this one take it, you will not regret it.  Santa Suit, nice course, great after-party at a great location.  Most definitely will do this one again - and again and again - in the future.  Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, vendors, entertainers, law enforcement, medical staff, etc....ALL the people that made this one happen for we participants.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I've never seen so many Santas in one place.  Looks like a fun event.