Beginners and Beyond

Military Spouse Appreciation Day Saturday Penguins (Read 16 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

Scotty, I thought you'd like that holiday. Big grin

Happy Saturday. I'm doing W6D3 today, followed by brisk walking to bring me up to 6 miles total. It's a little chilly yet but gorgeous. Rain is coming, but I'm up early enough that I think the sun will cooperate for my run. Yippee!

PADRunner

Morning, Happy Military Spouse App. day and Mothers Day eve. My mom would have been both.

4 done this morning and now off to vote and the Gym.

GinnyinPA

Heading out shortly for my long run.  Warm and humid here, with a 50% chance of thunderstorms all day.  Should be interesting.

Obiebyke - good job on the six this morning.  I'm glad you had some cool weather.

PAD - run and gym today?  Have fun.

hog4life

Obie,  nice work on the 6

Pad,  what type gym workout you doing?

Ginny, hopefully you didn't get wet.

I just got off work and was able to run with my friends. Me and two of the ladies did 12, one guy turned around for 8, and another guy and lady stopped at 11. It was about 70 degrees, and very muggy by the time we finished. Coffee, eggs, and bagel consumed, now trying to figure out what DW and I are doing, hopefully I can stay awake.

Zelanie

Morning!  Got just over 7 done last night in a downpour.  I ran it on the track while waiting to pick up DD, and I actually wonder if there's something to the hypnotic repetition of running the track that is actually helpful for me.  Sometimes when I'm out and feel like I'm so far away from home, that can get depressing.  At the track, I don't have to make decisions or navigate cars, and can just zone except for the occasional lacrosse ball hazard.

RD for me today.  We are going to to celebrate Mothers' Day at DH's mom's house today, because she is going to the opera tomorrow.

Obie- Sounds like a great way to start your day.  How's the kitty?

PAD- Thanks for reminding me, I have a ballot to fill out too.  Hope the gym goes well!

Ginny- Have a great LR!

Mitch- Great run!  Hope you and DW enjoy your weekend!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Obie and Pengs.

2 mile Recovery after yesterday's 4 mile "LR".  Thought it was a little chilly so I put on a long sleeve shirt.  Wasn't so chilly after-all.

Doing M Day dinner tonight in the City with DDs and SIL.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Just finished 2 on the TM. I can tell my cold is still lingering but I'm tired of waiting for it to clear up. Hopefully I can get at least 5 tomorrow to be in double digits for the week...

Running for TJ because he can't.

obiebyke

Yeah, the 6 was gorgeous. I saw a male blue jay!

The kitty is a trooper, thanks. He got his fentanyl patch off yesterday and is doing well.

Obie- Sounds like a great way to start your day.  How's the kitty?

PADRunner

Pad,  what type gym workout you doing?

It's a boot camp type class i go to 3 times a week. Today was just stretching.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Afternoon all.  This morning I ran the NYRR UAE Kidney Health 10K.  Since I have the Brooklyn half next week I treated it like a supported training run.  Completed it at an 11:07 pace which is just about where I wanted to be.  I walked Harlem Hill (hills + my herniated disk are not friends) but overall felt pretty strong.  It was super muggy outside - something over 90% humidity.  I can't wait for the thunderstorms to clear the humidity out of the air. Smile

Tomorrow I'm volunteering at the NYRR Japan Run.  It should be fun.  Since my train isn't running in the morning I am considering walking the ~5 miles to the race.  This depends when I wake up I suppose - I have to be there by 7am.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

Mitch - naps are nice.  Good job on the early 12.

Z - you have a lot of willpower, running track in the rain.  The temptation is always there to just bag the run, rather than continue in the downpour.  Were there others running with you?

Jerry - enjoy your family dinner.  How's the knee?

Robert - I'm glad your cold is better.  Best to take it easy until you can breathe.  Good luck with tomorrow's run.

Obie - I'm glad your run went well.

sapf - I'm glad your non-race was a good one.  Walking 5 miles before the race sounds like a good way to start the day, but that's awfully early, since you'll need to eat before you go.  How long is the Japan Run?

My run was pretty awful.  I don't know if it was the humidity (temperature of 79 with DPs in the 60's) or allergies or what, but I was wiped out by mile 5.  The rain (a light sprinkle) felt really good but much too short.  When I stopped to wait for a light at mile 7, and again a mile later, I almost passed out.  By mile 9 I felt like I was having a heart attack.  I managed one more mile, then walked 3/4 mile to the car.  Once I stopped running, and drank a quart of water, I was fine.  I had 20 oz water and a gel but it wasn't enough.  Some days I wonder why I do this.  Long runs when it's hot rarely are good.  I really want to be a long distance runner, but my body doesn't seem to agree.

Zelanie

Chin up, Ginny, I think you are doing awesome!

I think there are a couple of things that are still working against you.  First, you've only had your mileage back up since the start of the year, right?  So I'm sure that in a lot of ways your body isn't used to that kind of mileage just yet.  Also, I know for me, I can't do long runs that are a large percentage of my weekly mileage.  25% is about ideal for me, and 33% is pushing it.  I know some people who do go out and nail super long runs despite lower mileage during the week, but I just can't do it.  I need my LRs to be not that much farther, mentally, than my regular run.

The other thing that happens to me a lot is that I get to a point where a certain distance isn't new enough to me to be exciting, but it still long enough to be physically challenging.  That is, the first couple of times I run a certain distance, it's exciting.  I'm thrilled that I'm able to do it.  But then after that, it's no big deal.  I'm able to run the distance, I know that.  So I don't have that excitement to push me through any more, and it's still far enough to be tough.

And of course the heat and humidity were probably a big factor there too, since you haven't trained much in it, if I recall.

Glad you made it in OK!  I bet the next run will be better.

Oh, and as far as my run, I was running by myself, except for the lacrosse team that was there for practice.  But I was there to pick up DD at a certain time, so stopping early really wasn't an option if I didn't want to sit in the car and freeze.  Like I said, there is a certain about of mind-clearing meditation that I think you can get from something like the track or TM that seems to agree with me.

hog4life

My run was pretty awful.  I don't know if it was the humidity (temperature of 79 with DPs in the 60's) or allergies or what, but I was wiped out by mile 5.  The rain (a light sprinkle) felt really good but much too short.  When I stopped to wait for a light at mile 7, and again a mile later, I almost passed out.  By mile 9 I felt like I was having a heart attack.  I managed one more mile, then walked 3/4 mile to the car.  Once I stopped running, and drank a quart of water, I was fine.  I had 20 oz water and a gel but it wasn't enough.  Some days I wonder why I do this.  Long runs when it's hot rarely are good.  I really want to be a long distance runner, but my body doesn't seem to agree.

Ginny, please, please be careful when you get to that point. It sounds you were on the verge of heat exhaustion, and if you keep pushing beyond that, it will be heat stroke, and that is critical. I'm very glad to hear that you started feeling better after you made it back to your car. Now don't do that again, okay? (((hugs)))

Amazonian Princess

Hi, Penguins!

5.5 miles today; still on round two of antibiotics for a disgusting sinus infection. Technically, round two and a half because I didn't finish the first prescription which was stoopid and it really only made the infection angrier, greener, and bigger. Hmmm, maybe my nose was channeling the Hulk 

Haven't been posting because I've been sick, but my doctor cleared me and since today is the anniversary of my mom's passing I needed some time in my head. It was a beautiful day and it felt awesome to be out there. Now for a few fresh strawberries and a nap!

I can. I will. I am.