Beginners and Beyond

Well this was an interesting race day! (Read 118 times)

Love the Half

I'll have to talk with the guy who coordinated our efforts for the Corporate Cup to see if the YMCA kept official times or whether they just kept places.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Mmmmm...beer

Great job Brad!

I haven't done a 100 yet, 400 is the shortest I've raced and that was as part of a relay team last year after a mile race.  I thought I was going to puke at the end, I can imagine a 100 would be even worse.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Love the Half

Great job Brad!

I haven't done a 100 yet, 400 is the shortest I've raced and that was as part of a relay team last year after a mile race.  I thought I was going to puke at the end, I can imagine a 100 would be even worse.

Nah.  I ran a 400 for the Corporate Cup a couple of years ago and nothing on the planet is worse than a 400.  I'd rather run a marathon than a 400.  I was surprised at how long my breathing was heavy after the race.  Hell, everything about this surprised me.  I have new found respect for sprinters.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

skygazer

Sounds fun actually.

Earlier this year I took a detour to train for sprint events. Was thinking about running the 400 and got myself a coach who's in his early 70s while still running 13.6s 2-3 years back. My coach was kinda honest with me, telling me I should only run 50m or 100m events as I could only hold a full sprint to ~80m (200m was already very awful, hard to imagine how 400m would be). "But coach", I said, "the shortest distances are 100 and 200m in the meet I am going to run". It turned out the meet was cancelled. I didn't get to run any of the races.  But the training definitely was fun. AND don't use block start if you have not practiced with it. You'll stumble and lose some time coming out of the block.