Beginners and Beyond

Woman sues because frozen pizza has trans fats....which is on the nutrition label (Read 173 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I live in NYC where our mayor has decided to be the health police and has outlawed smoking almost everywhere, outlawed trans fats, put a restriction on sodium content, put calorie counts on the menus of all chain and fast food restaurants, and recently banned 32oz soda. A lot of people are really up in arms

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I live in NYC where our mayor has decided to be the health police and has outlawed smoking almost everywhere, outlawed trans fats, put a restriction on sodium content, put calorie counts on the menus of all chain and fast food restaurants, and recently banned 32oz soda. A lot of people are really up in arms

I don't smoke, drink 32oz sodas, add extra salt to my food, or generally eat a lot of trans fats, but if I lived in New York I'd be sitting on a street corner eating pie, smoking a cigarette, drinking a 32 oz soda, pouring salt into my mouth.  My defense?  Freedom of speech.  I'm making a statement.  Then, I'd challenge that mayor to a race, and even see if he'd like to compare bloodwork and physical results.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ha!

I don't smoke, drink 32oz sodas, add extra salt to my food, or generally eat a lot of trans fats, but if I lived in New York I'd be sitting on a street corner eating pie, smoking a cigarette, drinking a 32 oz soda, pouring salt into my mouth.  My defense?  Freedom of speech.  I'm making a statement.  Then, I'd challenge that mayor to a race, and even see if he'd like to compare bloodwork and physical results.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

MrNamtor

lol you people are crazy.

@runjerseygirl

I just want to point out one slight difference in the parallels you're drawing here.  Your food and drink choices do not have any adverse health effects on me.  But as a non-smoker, a smoker's choice to light up does.  Americans for Non-smokers Rights is an activist group that advocates for those people who choose a healthy lifestyle, but have been either forced to stay away from or forced to deal with the smoke of establishments, parks, and other venues that allow smokers to light up.  The smoking laws aren't there to infringe upon people's rights.  They are there to protect them.  Smokers can still smoke.  Just not where their smoke will infringe upon any non-smoker's right to healthy breathing.

Do you even run?

meaghansketch

The soda ban includes everything over 16 ounces, and includes gatorade.  I realize that the law may have public health benefits but I'm not personally a fan of the fact that I wouldn't be able to buy a 20-oz gatorade at a deli while I'm doing a 15+ mile long run in the summer.  Neither am I a fan of the fact that the law, I think, really stands to benefit big businesses like drugstores, supermarkets, and 7-11s, which are exempt, at the expense of small family-run businesses like delis.  (Yes, you still buy a 40+ oz soda, as long as it's from a 7-11)

I am a fan of the smoking ban and the transfats ban, but I am not a smoker, and am personally much happier ordering food at restaurants knowing that there are no transfats in them.