Beginners and Beyond

Improving Very Slow 5K Time (Read 92 times)

Sloooow.

Resident newbie here, bringing the dose of "Beginner" in this forum Smile

My 5K PR is 33:24 from May 5th. According to my weight chart I was 214lbs, and I was running about 10-12 miles a week.

My next 5K is in November, but I might sign up for one in September. I really want to get sub-30. Is that possible at my weight? I'm currently 204 and hoping to get into the 190's by September. I've been working on increasing my miles, but I have no idea what I am doing.

Should I just keep increasing weekly mileage? What should my goal mileage be? I have an ultimate goal of running a half-marathon next Spring, but I'm planning on training over the winter for it.

As I said, completely clueless.

No more marathons

You are doing the two things that will most quickly improve your 5K time.

1.  Losing weight - Jack Daniels charts predict a 30 minute 5k with no other changes other than to drop your weight to 188.

2.  Maintaining or increasing your mileage.

A commonly accepted (but not really proven) principle is to increase your weekly mileage by no more than 10%.  While there is no established basis behind this, by using this conservative approach you are less likley to become injured.

So, keep doing what you're doing and a sub 30 5K should be yours this September.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Sloooow.

You are doing the two things that will most quickly improve your 5K time.

1.  Losing weight - Jack Daniels charts predict a 30 minute 5k with no other changes other than to drop your weight to 188.

2.  Maintaining or increasing your mileage.

A commonly accepted (but not really proven) principle is to increase your weekly mileage by no more than 10%.  While there is no established basis behind this, by using this conservative approach you are less likley to become injured.

So, keep doing what you're doing and a sub 30 5K should be yours this September.

I'm definitely planning on losing more weight. I've been slowly increasing my mileage, this week should be my first 20 mile week. I'm just not sure how long I should keep increasing.

Antipodean

If you're at 20 mile weeks I would introduce some form of speedwork. Fartleks are a good place to start. That is informal speedwork where you pick a few points on your run to speed up for a few lampposts or a block or so, then slow down again, recover and repeat. You can also go at different speeds, superslow, slow, medium, mediumfast, fast, superfast. Mix it up and enjoy!

Progression runs are also fun and not too overwelming for beginning speedwork. That's when you get faster gradually in your run, after a warm up and finish with a warm down.

How many days are you running each week? If you're doing 4 or 5 you may think about introducing another day, starting off short and slow.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Sloooow.

If you're at 20 mile weeks I would introduce some form of speedwork. Fartleks are a good place to start. That is informal speedwork where you pick a few points on your run to speed up for a few lampposts or a block or so, then slow down again, recover and repeat. You can also go at different speeds, superslow, slow, medium, mediumfast, fast, superfast. Mix it up and enjoy!

Progression runs are also fun and not too overwelming for beginning speedwork. That's when you get faster gradually in your run, after a warm up and finish with a warm down.

How many days are you running each week? If you're doing 4 or 5 you may think about introducing another day, starting off short and slow.

I can definitely add in a bit of speedwork!

Right now I run 5 days a week. I nearly always take Sunday off, and usually a day during the week when I have a lot to do (kids appointments, classes, etc)

meaghansketch

I'm definitely planning on losing more weight. I've been slowly increasing my mileage, this week should be my first 20 mile week. I'm just not sure how long I should keep increasing.

That is great!  I agree with Kiwi Runner on starting fartlek workouts.  With about 8-12 weeks to go to a September 5K, I would target around 25-30 mpw.

I would break your training up as follows:
              July- increase mileage, introduce fartlek workouts/strides

August- increase mileage slightly if at all, introduce some short 5K-specific speedwork.  This means doing some running at 5K pace once a week.

September- keep mileage steady, step up your 5K specific speedwork

Your weekly progression of speedwork (Aug/September) might be something like:

2x200m (1/8 mile, or half a standard track lap) at 5K pace

4x200m at 5K pace

2x400m at 5K pace

4x400m at 5K pace

2x600m at 5K pace

These 'is it possible' posts are always tough because people are different.  It is possible for some people to take 3 minutes off their 5K in 4 months, but it is not possible for everyone.  Train smart, don't get injured, and do your best, and whether or not you go under 30:00, you'll most likely be faster than you are today.

meaghansketch

And if all that's a bit much for you right now, you can definitely improve a lot through just fartleks/progression runs/other informal speedwork. You don't need to jump in to formal speedwork if it is overwhelming.  IMO doing at least one session where you can measure yourself running sections at 5K pace (whether it is track, treadmill, or GPS) does a lot for your confidence, so you know what 5K pace feels like and you can hold it for some distance, even if it is only 600m or so.

Trail Monster

20 miles in 5 days per week is only 4 miles each running day. I would drop to 4 days per week and add the speed work and a longer run day too (maybe 5 miles to start but working up). Then add the 5th day back when that becomes comfortable. Building your endurance is just as important as building your speed. I dropped my 5k time from 29:59 to 24:27 just by increasing my mileage.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I got my first sub-30 simply by increasing mileage, and losing weight.  I would have never guessed that I could have run a 5K that fast at the time.  I have added speed work since, but you can see the difference between my first and second 5K in my signature.

Hell, it also has something to do with total mileage over your running history.  Experience will help a lot as well.

As for whether it's possible to do a particular weight, I think it's definitely possible.  I weighed about 225 at my last 5K, and ran a 24:11.

By the way, you're doing great.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hip Redux

~33 minutes was my 5k time for my first "season" of running (PW of 37!!).  And I was carrying about ~25 extra pounds.  I really didn't "do" anything special other than lose weight and run more.   In fact, my first sub-30 was a total surprise since I'd done nothing really in particular for it.

Given where you are now, I think you'll have no problems cracking sub-30!  Just keep at it.  Smile  20 mpw sounds about right, to me.

Hip Redux

By the way, you're doing great.

+1

My suggestion is to add some more miles. Easy miles are good. When I was doing 5 days a week I was taking off Monday's and Friday's. My mileage was split pretty much in half between the 3 days and the 2 days. That meant the weekend runs were longer.

Try the speed work once a week, If you like it, do it. Make the next workout a lil slower than normal so you can recover. I wouldn't do more than one day of speed work if I was you, but you need to find out what's fun/enjoyable.

Speed work sucks while doing it and I hate it if others are around -- I am not fast -- but after the fact its like that wasn't too bad.

Finally, don't get caught up in the 30 number. Goals are good, but race day there are variables that can help or hurt your time. These things might not be in your control, so you can't worry about it.

I guess my point is. Just keep running. Run some fast if you like it. Run longer some days (slow down to do this). Magic or tragic can happen on race day. Just have fun and you will get better.

Keep up the good work and make each day count towards your goal.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

LRB

Speed work sucks while doing it and I hate it if others are around -- I am not fast -- but after the fact its like that wasn't too bad.

There is a feeling of euphoria after any type of accelerations, why do you think I do it so faithfully.  I'm getting high.  8- P

There is a feeling of euphoria after any type of accelerations, why do you think I do it so faithfully.  I'm getting high.  8- P

Maybe I need to do more speed work Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

No more marathons

One other thing I forgot to ask.  When you ran your 33:24, did your lungs feel like they were on fire and did your legs keep screaming at you to STOP -- STOP -- STOP THE MADNESS?  If not, you wern't trying hard enough.  Big grin  Willingness to endure a little pain can go a long way to improving race time.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!