Beginners and Beyond

Ibruprofen & Running: How Far Will You Go? (Read 159 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

When I had ITBS really bad, that walking up and down stairs took forever with lots of limping, the doctor told me to take Ibuprofen every 4 hours whether I was in pain or not to reduce inflammation to start healing. Which I did for the 3 weeks I was off running completely. I have not taken it to run though because I want to be attuned to any pain so I can STOP and not make it worse. coming back from ITBS has been a delicate dance for me that has involved cutting runs short if I feel pain and taking extra rest days if I feel it after a run, and that is probably the only reason (well, plus all the strengthening, stretching, rolling, PT, ect I've been doing) that I have not aggervated it to the point of having to take any more time off running than an extra rest day here and there since I first got it. If I was masking the pain and not noticing the nuances of the injury I may not be running today.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Rungry!

Okay, I'll admit it. I used to be one of the people that popped advil like candy, including before my long runs...could be why I used to have so much digestive distress, but I digress. I stopped once I got virtually scolded by y'all on the RW beginner's forum and now give much more thought before taking pain medication.

Jen