Beginners and Beyond

The Detroit Free Press Marathon Race Report (Read 99 times)

LRB

Just popping in to say congratulations!

Thank you!  Keep it positive, 'cuz that's how we roll!

Big congratulations, Rick.

I like that you always take responsibility for your races, whether you perceive them as a good, bad or just so-so effort.  And you are incredibly modest about your achievements.

You buckled down, trained well, managed to keep injuries at bay, and ran a very strong race.  It may not be the race you know you have in you, and the long distance may not jive with your speed-demon proclivities.  It's still something to be proud of.  Great job!

B-Plus

Okay, after making many silly and useless comments, here is my official response to your RR. Not that it is helpful or anything.

First of all, you need to change your sig line  Second, and related to the first, congrats on getting through training!

I don't really know what to tell you. You trained your ass off, but you didn't get the result you were going for. That's what I don't like about marathons. Everything can go perfectly from training all the way to race day conditions, but things might not go our way and it's not like you can pop another one off next week.

Forget about 6:51 pace for a moment. So now you know you can carry low 7s for 20-21 miles. Was that the fastest your were trained for? If not, then it might not have been your day. If yes, then what do you need to do to carry that for another 5 miles?

I know you're going to get back to the shorter stuff for a while (something I agree with and like to think that it helped contribute to my marathon success last year), but I hope you won't rule this stupid beast out yet. Remind me to try to convince you to run something flat, fast, and festive next year 

No more marathons

Congrats LRB.

Marathons are hard.  You just never know which "you" will be there that particular day.

Have you considered making good use of your training and finding another race in the eight to ten week time frame?

In the "for what it's worth" column that worked for me.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LRB

Have you considered making good use of your training and finding another race in the eight to ten week time frame?

Coming up?  Absofuckinlutely!  I have two penciled in and am salivating at the possibilities!

BP, when it is all said and done I believe I will be better for the race experience, which includes the training cycle.  This event may prove to be a launching point to bigger and better things....or a fall off the plank into the deep blue.  lol

Thanks Jay!  We have all shared our triumphs and disappointments (I remember Cleveland 2012) so this is just a continuation of that.  Being honest and open helps us learn and move on, I firmly believe that.

From the Internet.

Congrats on the PR and thanks for sharing! All of the recent marathon reports here (and a few I've read elsewhere recently too) are just driving home for me what a beast of a race it is and the value in just working with what you've got on race day. You still ran a damn good race even if you missed all your letter goals.

I'm still wading through all six fricken pages of this thing and contemplating how this whole MRT thing will pan out for me next year. Simultaneously excited and terrified!

Docket_Rocket

Coming up?  Absofuckinlutely!  I have two penciled in and am salivating at the possibilities!

BP, when it is all said and done I believe I will be better for the race experience, which includes the training cycle.  This event may prove to be a launching point to bigger and better things....or a fall off the plank into the deep blue.  lol

Thanks Jay!  We have all shared our triumphs and disappointments (I remember Cleveland 2012) so this is just a continuation of that.  Being honest and open helps us learn and move on, I firmly believe that.

WHICH ONES????

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MothAudio

I hear you, the comments in my log after my last long run were short, direct and to the point; "An unconscionable mind fuck".  And that was after only 18 miles, imagine when I run 20...shoot me dead!!

Sounds like exactly like me towards the end of many a marathon schedule... until I trimmed them down to 10-12 weeks. That left me rested mentally and physically. Admittedly, I was front-loading that with a bunch of high mileage weeks * and speedwork. How long was your schedule? I set my GM PB on only 4 weeks of specific training.

* I was also averaging 3500 mpy.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Hey I would kill for your time.  Not really, but I would very much want it.  I think it's very, very respectable.  Congrats!

LRB

I'm still wading through all six fricken pages of this thing...

You will never get that time back so don't do it!  lol

Planning and training for the big one should be all excitement, enjoy it.  There is nothing to be afraid of, nothing at all.  I promise!

D, hell no.  lol

Mike, I did a 12 week gig with a 2 week taper.  This started with 3 quality sessions per week (2 speed, 1 long) for three weeks, then 2 quality sessions per week (1 speed, 1 long) for three weeks, then 1 quality session a week.  There was a half marathon in there that screwed that up a bit but basically that was the deal.

I like the higher mileage idea as opposed to longer long runs, thanks for planting that seed.

Thanks TO, you are not chopped liver yourself you know!

LRB

^ Nice!! They're up?

Dave

happylily

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

^ Nice!! They're up?

These are unofficial from the runmichigan gallery, the official pics have not been released yet.  I am wondering how many millions of dollars they will be!

B-Plus

I like the higher mileage idea as opposed to longer long runs, thanks for planting that seed.

I approve  I think it was my Boston 2010 build where I only went 20 or beyond once, but I did lots of 18s and a lot more midweek MLRs. It worked out pretty good.