Beginners and Beyond

How do you choose between 2 races, or do you choose both? (Read 92 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I have a dilemma, this October there are NOW two races I am considering but I think it would be a good idea to choose one and not both. I have been planning on registering for the Evansville Half marathon this year (registrations aren't open yet), but now my heart is pulling towards the Annual Indianapolis Half Marathon on October 19. Honestly I want to register for both but as I think the Evansville will be either on the 6th or 13th, that would be a week or 2 weeks before the Indianapolis race. And then of course I go back to Indy for the Monumental Half on November 2nd. I figure I should ask for other runners' opinions Undecided

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Make a list of pros and cons then choose: flat course, swag, chance to PR, age group placing, convenience, popularity etc.  If all that is equal, choose the one you want to do most, or, do one as a long run and race the other.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

There are 3 HM's in 2 weekends that interested me.  None are on the same day.  Saturday one weekend, Saturday the following weekend, and Sunday.  I registered for the first one to open registration.  I figured they had a better handle on organizing races.  Yet, I still find myself contemplating the possibility of signing up for one of the other two as well.  I don't think it's the best idea, but it could make for a great story.  I don't know.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

1: The Annual Indy Half is through a huge park and apparently during the peak of fall foliage. I've done the Evansville Half twice now, though it is fun I am very much swaying towards the Indy.

2: It must be a sign from the Running Gods & Goddesses, I can register for the Annual Indy now, but won't be able to register for the Evansville Half until May.

3: I could register for the Indy Half now, and depending on how things go this year heck I might be able to register and run both without any problems. I could either choose to make the Evansville Half a fun, enjoyable run or use the Indy Half to enjoy the scenery. Smile

I made my decision!! 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Just because of the time it takes me to recover from a race effort now, even a 5K, I've limited myself to at least two weeks between races. When I was younger and in better shape I would race 35-45 times a year, sometimes on 3 or 4 consecutive weekends, sometimes twice the same weekend. Probably my most extreme was 7 races in 6 weeks (7 weekends) starting with a HM and finishing with a marathon with 5 races ranging from 3.25M to 8.4M in between. My basic criterion is whether I can recover sufficiently to race both.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

As a result of race schedule changes this year, I found myself with June and July mostly open, then races on top of races in Aug through mid Sept. Sooo, decisions, decisions, decisions. I'm also starting to get toward end of list of Alaskan races that sounded neat to do - the ones I saw in my first AK runners calender about 12 yr ago. Some died before I got to them, some new ones are starting up. I'll also be 66 for most of the summer. How many more years? (I'm already about 10 yr older than next oldest female in many of my races, while a couple races may have 5 or so in my AG.)

What I looked at was how badly (or not) I wanted to do each race? Have I done it before and liked the course and organization - or not? Is it on some trails I'd like to do? How does not just the duration of the race, but the travel time, fit into rest of my schedule? Would I want to consider doing a multi-day drive and run trails along the way vs long-haul driving? Which would I be disappointed if I didn't do it this year? Which can be put off to next year? Would I be better off running the race course at some other time (like early July where there's less going on)?

Do I want to run it well, maybe get revenge on the course, now that I've run it once? Do I have time to train appropriately for it? Or is it just for scenery or experience (time footprint will be smaller for these)?

Right now, it's looking like the travel time may be the deciding factor. And the races that don't make the cut this year, do next year, maybe.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              MrNamtor

I think you should just do one.

Edit: Just want to add that it doesn't matter what i think FreeSoul. But since you're asking, you know...Smile

I had 2 marathons I was looking at a week apart. (No, I am not doing both.) All other things being equal, I picked the first one, to keep the other as emergency backup in case of training glitch, weather, etc. Have not actually registered for either, assuming (hoping) they do not fill up.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think you should just do one.

Edit: Just want to add that it doesn't matter what i think FreeSoul. But since you're asking, you know...Smile

I registered for the Annual Indy Half, and depending on how I feel around July I might register for the one here in Eville too. Smile

PRs

RSX

I scheduled a 10 mile race the week before a half. I was planning on using the 10 as a little more than a training run, and be good for the race. Instead the 10 was canceled today because of snow, and that happened on a tm. As far as 2 halfs in consecutive weeks only you know how your recovery would be. If it was me I know that one of the 2 would be a half effort, but I would be afraid (in my case) that both would end up being less than 100%.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I scheduled a 10 mile race the week before a half. I was planning on using the 10 as a little more than a training run, and be good for the race. Instead the 10 was canceled today because of snow, and that happened on a tm. As far as 2 halfs in consecutive weeks only you know how your recovery would be. If it was me I know that one of the 2 would be a half effort, but I would be afraid (in my case) that both would end up being less than 100%.

Hopefully, if I choose to do both then I can make sure one is just a fun long run. But who knows, I think both are relatively flat so it won't be too grueling and I will have been running my LRs at 10-11 miles regularly by then. Eh, we will just have to see.

PRs

Love the Half

Just because of the time it takes me to recover from a race effort now, even a 5K, I've limited myself to at least two weeks between races. When I was younger and in better shape I would race 35-45 times a year, sometimes on 3 or 4 consecutive weekends, sometimes twice the same weekend. Probably my most extreme was 7 races in 6 weeks (7 weekends) starting with a HM and finishing with a marathon with 5 races ranging from 3.25M to 8.4M in between. My basic criterion is whether I can recover sufficiently to race both.

I love to argue with George but sometimes I can't and this is one of those times.  I have to think about how long it's going to take me to recover from a race if I really want to race both of them.  Of course, I may be running two half marathons on back to back weekends this spring.  If I do that, I'll run the first one as my normal week before a half marathon progression run and race the second.  That requires the discipline to keep yourself at your planned progression run paces in the first.  (I typically do a progression run 6-7 days before a half marathon with 3 miles @ recovery jog, 3 miles @ easy pace, 3 miles @ marathon pace and 3 miles @ half marathon pace.  This would be 13.1 miles so I'd do the last 4.1 at half marathon pace.  Still not too hard to negatively affect the race a week later).

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

flarunner

1: The Annual Indy Half is through a huge park and apparently during the peak of fall foliage...

I did the marathon back in 2003, and I'm sure they've changed the route since then, but it's pretty flat and yes, the colors were out. I used to work at Ft. Harrison back when it was an actual Fort and not a park.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Halves 2 weeks apart  = no question can race both

A week apart is harder to generalise, but I'd be happy to try to race both.

3 over the course of two weekends I would find intriguing, and would likely do just for kicks, knowing none would be an all out effort.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, sadly the Evansville HM won't say what date until May but the last 3 years it has been right around the 9th. October 2010 (didn't run) it was on the 10th. October 2011 it was on the 9th and 2012 was on the 7th.

The first 2 years I listed, it was on the 2nd Sunday of October, but last year it was on the 1st Sunday of October so I really don't know what day it's going to be on this year Angry. If it is on the 6th then I will definitely think about doing both but if it is on the 13th then I won't since that would barely give me a week between.

PRs