Beginners and Beyond

2014 Indianapolis Monumental Marathon RR (My Debut) (Read 109 times)

happylily

I'm so happy for you, Andrea. It wasn't easy, but you did it. Congratulations! Your son will one day understand just how badass his mom really is.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks guys, the wind wasn't as awful as I expected it to be, but it definitely made the top of my head feel like I was having a brain freeze  but I just wore my headband to cover my ears because I figured the hat would be blown off lol.

I will be more than happy if I don't deal with any stomach issues during my next marathon lol, any other pain can be easily dealt with during a run but for some reason stomach issues just kick my ass lol.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm so happy for you, Andrea. It wasn't easy, but you did it. Congratulations! Your son will one day understand just how badass his mom really is.

Thanks Lily! How did you do this morning?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

happylily

Thanks Lily! How did you do this morning?

I did fine for me, in my mind, considering I ran another marathon 2 weeks ago and it was super windy today. But I don't really want to talk about my race, because I will be admonished regarding the way I went about it. But it's ok. The most important thing is to be happy with what we do. It doesn't matter what other people say.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I did fine for me, in my mind, considering I ran another marathon 2 weeks ago and it was super windy today. But I don't really want to talk about my race, because I will be admonished regarding the way I went about it. But it's ok. The most important thing is to be happy with what we do. It doesn't matter what other people say.

True but one thing I forgot to mention in my RR was how much I focused on the conversations we had in this group, our talks about finish times around 4:15:00, and even finish times around 4 hours and it just pissed me off even more knowing that I couldn't give my all thanks to some stupid ass stomach issue that is still bugging me now, I can feel it in my stomach  I tried my hardest not to think about those goals, but couldn't help it at times and kept pushing myself even when I wanted to walk the rest of the way at mile 21... I felt beaten and even though I told myself to be happy with just finishing, deep down I was severely disappointed in myself for not coming close to my goal of 4:15:00 .. part of me wonders if things would have been easier had I never mentioned my goals  I knew some were keeping track of my 10k, half marathon and 30k mat times and notice me slowing down or not finishing in the predicted time and think "she's crashing and burning, she went out too fast, she hit the wall", and there was no way I could tell anybody that I was seriously hurting in my stomach 

But I try to ignore that and just be thankful that I finished, and am now a marathoner even if things didn't go as planned or smoothly, maybe, just maybe this means I am stronger than I thought...

PRs

Ric-G

ok to be pissed but congrats anyway...marathons are their own beast and you have already learned something about  yourself and determination when things go wrong....i think you will kill it next time when you get good and ready to do the next one, whenever that is...for now, rest up and enjoy the recovery, you deserve it.

marathon pr - 3:16

Zelanie

FreeSoul, you just ran a freakin marathon, those things are hard!  Yes, we'd have been happy to see you cruise in in 4:14:59, but I for one am happy for you that you got it done!  What happens between the start and the finish line is no joke, and there are about 233548654206409 variables at play.  Now you've done it, and that's worth a lot.

I also made the mistake in recovery of thinking that my legs might recover faster because I didn't run my best race during the marathon, and it wasn't really my legs that were taxed.  Then I tried to race a 5K and OMG I felt every mile of that marathon all over again, and came out of THAT feeling like I was dragging little lead weights with me on every step.  Don't make the same mistake I did- you owe yourself a rest.

PS- You beat me in two different ways this weekend- your finishing time is a tad faster than mine AND your positive split was smaller than mine! 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol Smile thanks you two. I am definitely going to rest, with no plans of a race anytime soon. Even if I do the Turkey Dash 5k on Thanksgiving, I won't race it but that is only if. Right now I just want to let my body rest, make sure there isn't an injury waiting to say hello, and maybe go for some hiking later this week with my little boy Smile

I've got plenty of time to think about the next marathon where I'll take a crack at bettering my time Smile

PRs

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

You came, you saw, you struggled a bit...you conquered!  The female Julius Caesar of the forum!

Sorry about the problems you experienced but I think you did great overall.  You stayed determined and persevered and you got it done!  Congratulations!  Now enjoy those well-earned rest days

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You came, you saw, you struggled a bit...you conquered!  The female Julius Caesar of the forum!

Sorry about the problems you experienced but I think you did great overall.  You stayed determined and persevered and you got it done!  Congratulations!  Now enjoy those well-earned rest days

Lol  Thank you Scotty 

PRs

Congratulations on your first marathon FS. Sorry about the stomach bug but now you have this under your belt and the best part is that it sounds like you are ready to do this again. Again, nice job!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Congratulations on your first marathon FS. Sorry about the stomach bug but now you have this under your belt and the best part is that it sounds like you are ready to do this again. Again, nice job!

Thanks Fuzzy, I am definitely ready to try again, just not anytime soon lol 

PRs

Love the Half

BTW, it's OK to be pissed even though this was a situation beyond your control.  In my first marathon, I was hoping to finish between 3:10 and 3:15 and was fortunate enough to do so.  If I had finished in 3:40, I would have been seriously angry and upset.  It won't make you feel any better now but in a couple of weeks, you'll be able to put it in perspective and realize that you did everything you could to ensure a good race but there are just days that aren't your days.  I think every runner can think of at least one race where they went in with high expectations only to have those expectations dashed.  Give your body time to recover and then get back out there.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

BTW, it's OK to be pissed even though this was a situation beyond your control.  In my first marathon, I was hoping to finish between 3:10 and 3:15 and was fortunate enough to do so.  If I had finished in 3:40, I would have been seriously angry and upset.  It won't make you feel any better now but in a couple of weeks, you'll be able to put it in perspective and realize that you did everything you could to ensure a good race but there are just days that aren't your days.  I think every runner can think of at least one race where they went in with high expectations only to have those expectations dashed.  Give your body time to recover and then get back out there.

Thank you, I know which is why I made sure not to say anything negative about the race, the distance or my training, all those things had gone as they should have, and I honestly feel that my training was the biggest helping hand in getting me to the finish - all those nasty, hot & humid mornings, runs before the crack of dawn, and all of them by myself. Smile the training itself is a huge part of the experience, and the race itself was amazing, the course, the volunteers, everything 

PRs