Beginners and Beyond

Bullying (Read 129 times)

I have a bit of a mixed take on this based on my military background.  Basic training in the military is based significantly on bullying and intimidation.  However, it is a "break them down and then build them up" process.  We are training people to do things that will put their lives at risk and they need to learn how to obey orders immediately.  The key though is that the only bullying that is tolerated is deliberately conducted by those in charge.

DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED?!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
    Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The locker room is a different place, and in high school and college we did inflict and endure some "hazing".  It was usually directed toward the new guys, and during the initial weeks.  Most new it was coming from day one.  This case is different than anything I've experienced though.  Incognito was on the leadership committee.  He brought race into it, threats toward family and threats to kill.  This wasn't stuffing someone in an ice bath or locking them in a bathroom stall or holding him down and slapping his stomach until its red (pink belly).  He left threats on his phone.  He wasn't even a rookie.  Nothing about this is hazing or initiation. This is a guy leading teamates to perpetuate some sort of personal grudge.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

I have a bit of a mixed take on this based on my military background.  Basic training in the military is based significantly on bullying and intimidation.  However, it is a "break them down and then build them up" process.  We are training people to do things that will put their lives at risk and they need to learn how to obey orders immediately.  The key though is that the only bullying that is tolerated is deliberately conducted by those in charge.  The soldiers being bullied are expected to pull together as a team in no small part to help them cope with the stress and intimidation being directed at them.

I spent 10 years in the military and never encountered anything in my training that I would classify as bullying, though maybe that's a matter of semantics. Intimidation? Sure. Being put into extremely stressful situations, sleep deprivation, etc? Absolutely. But even as an 18 year old punk in basic training I could see the need to weed out the people who couldn't learn to handle stress and lack of sleep and still function and make life and death decisions.

To me if the intent is to train and ultimately help someone survive combat I could never call that bullying. As opposed to the bully just being an a-hole and masking their own insecurities and lack of character. Though I admit I have seen some drill instructors and officers who were walking a very fine line between training people and just being an a-hole on a power trip.

LRB

YOU'RE G--DAMN RIGHT HE I DID!!

Love the Half

YOU WANT ANSWERS?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

One of the greatest scenes in movie history.

MothAudio

What I find interesting is how the rest of the league [players, coaches] have expresssed their opinions [or lack of] on this subject and especially this particular case. My guess is the majority secretly [or not] side more with "the jerk" than "the snitch" and that however disturbing the actions of the other guy were Martin violated an unwritten code by exposing the sanctity of the locker room.

Considering the fact his father is an attorney I imagine Martin will come out of this the winner, head's will roll and the practice of rookie hazing will be outlawed in player's handbooks. CYA. And if not for the fear of public perception Incognito would be more welcomed in the locker room than Martin. I know the Dolphin organization, the league and the commissioner wished he'd just punched him in the mouth rather than deal with the microscope of the media.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Gator eye

I spent 10 years in the military and never encountered anything in my training that I would classify as bullying, though maybe that's a matter of semantics. Intimidation? Sure. Being put into extremely stressful situations, sleep deprivation, etc? Absolutely. But even as an 18 year old punk in basic training I could see the need to weed out the people who couldn't learn to handle stress and lack of sleep and still function and make life and death decisions.

To me if the intent is to train and ultimately help someone survive combat I could never call that bullying. As opposed to the bully just being an a-hole and masking their own insecurities and lack of character. Though I admit I have seen some drill instructors and officers who were walking a very fine line between training people and just being an a-hole on a power trip.

You must of been in the kinder and gentler military. When I went through the USMC basic training I was amazed that all of my drill instructors had personal relations with everyone in my family including the dog and my pet gold fish in some sort of twisted three way action.

Really, a 300 pound football players bullying another 300 pound football player? Sounds like someone needs to grow the heck up and man up. Your making millions I'm sure you can stand to be called a couple of bad names and if it pisses you off take it to the field.

Crap like this is going to ruin football.