Beginners and Beyond

Let's get rolling Sunday Penguins! (Read 22 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

I actually looked around to see if someone had started the thread this morning - I didn't see it.  Smile

I will be running later today. I woke up to more rain/snow mix.  Even if I hit the treadmill.    What does everyone else have on the agenda today?

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Ran 5 easy this morning  - that makes 32.05 for the week! Woohoo!

Congrats to all our racers -still reading the RR's.

Scotty - I just noticed your race shirts and headbands always match! Quite the racing fashionista!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Zelanie

Rolling is right!  Today will be all rolling, no running for me.  There is definitely something that clicks in the side of my hip when I walk.  Let's hope that extended rest takes care of things.

Vance- Winter has got to be over for you soon, right?

Gustav- Nice mileage!

hog4life

Zel, I am so sorry your hip is nagging you. With the HM coming up, don't fret it, even if you don't run at all this week. I don't remember seeing that you did something, what do you think happened?

Gustav, your mileage is coming around nicely.

Vance, more snow? That pic you posted of your running trail looked very nice.

I've started putting together my RR from yesterday, hopefully I'll get it posted later, I got some cool pics so be looking for it. I took some advice from Bin and Zel, doing it on Word, so it dont get lost. I just got a call to come into work, I really don't want to, but I said yes because I'm up for a promotion, and don't need any little red marks against me. So I was going to run a few recovery miles after church, but now will have to do them after work, at least it's not night shift.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did the advanced trail at Oleta park and tried my trail Hokas.  Not sure if I like them though.  More running and weights tonight.

Have a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Mitch- I think I was just slacking on my myrtls and rolling and it finally caught up with me.  I'm thinking it's the top of my IT band, right where it connects to the hip.  I'm 85% sure I could run through it if I have to come race day, but I'm sure prefer not to!  Good luck at work today!

D- Nice job on the trail!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens. I am off to do an easy 40 minutes. I put up a RR for my 5k yesterday. If you have insomnia, click here.

Zel: get well and take some rest. It won't hurt you this far into your HM training.

N-bug: does winter ever end?

Gus: good job on the mpw.

Hog: sorry about work. You are a good soldier.

Docket: Hokas? is that a shoe brand?

Docket_Rocket

Yes, made for ultras.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Covenant Knoxville Half Marathon short, short RR.  2:24:11.  1542/2431 OA, 26/45 AG.  Age graded 902/2430. Same time for DW, 14/46 AG, age graded 553/2430.  The hills really killed us.  Perfect weather and very pretty course.   I'll do a RR when I get back home.

Zelanie

Congrats to Jerry and DW!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Way to go Jerry and DW!!!  Soon, you will be signing up for your next one! Smile

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Gustav  -  32 miles on the week - nice!

Zelanie - not soon enough! LOL  Most of our area has lost 90% of the snow.  There are some areas that still have quite a bit, like my yard and trails near by.  SOOOON I hope.

Mitch - bummer about having to go into work.  Looking for to the RR.

Damaris - what are trail Hokas?

Jack - have a great run

Jerry - way to go for yourself and DW!

AFM - just got back from a nice 10 miler.  Damp which made it feel colder than it was.  35 deg at the start of the run.  The sun was SO close to peeking through...  then again, it is Michigan.  LOL

Sloooow.

Congratulation, Jerry! I do love that you and your wife ran it together. Great job Smile

2 miles on the treadmill this morning. I'm aiming to do 2 miles later on this evening outside. I signed up for the A Run Through History 5K last night. It's next Sunday, supposed to be the biggest cemetery run in the US. I doubt I will be able to run it all, I'm not looking to PR, but it looks like such a cool race.

GinnyinPA

Damaris - what is the advanced trail like?  Hilly?  Hard to imagine in southern Florida.

Our running club newsletter had an article on Hoka One Ones.  Those are the ones that are a much thicker sole, right?  Must take some time to get used to.  See p. 7 http://www.chambersburgrrc.org/Newsletter/2013_crrc_april.pdf

Jerry - congratulations to you and your wife.  Hope you had fun.

Vance - I hope you get spring soon.  We're just starting, only a month late.

Gustav - nice weekly mileage.

Zelanie - I've had clicking knees, never clicking hip joint, but I was able to move without pain.  I hope that's the case for you as well.  You just get to sound like a flamenco dancer as you move - or a bowl of rice crispies (Snap, crackle and pop.)

Mitch - sorry about losing your Sunday to work.  I hope you get your run in later.

Jack - enjoy your easy run.

Coralie - good job doing two runs today.  Glad you signed up for the Cemetery run.  You had said you wanted to do that.

AFM:  Beautiful day today, though windy, so I'm planning 4 outside.  I'm considering registering for a local "Run, Ride, Ramble" 15k on a railtrail in two weeks.  After getting killed by yesterday's hills, the idea of a completely flat race appeals.  OTOH, 9 miles is on the edge of my current long run, and the trail is gravel, which can be a pain, I hear.  I like running dirt roads though, so how different is this likely to be?  One thing I like about this event is it is one of the few local runs that has a lot of people (it has a 5k, a bike event, a hiking event as well as the 15k), so there is a big barbeque and some excitement, unlike yesterday's low key effort with only 100 people, only coffee and water afterwards, and everybody dispersed as soon as they were done.  (They had prizes, but it was cold, so those of us who were not up for awards either left immediately, or hung around waiting for a while, and then left.)