Beginners and Beyond

The Thrill Of The Thursday Penguins! (Read 22 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

At work running late . Caught in a thunderstorm duringu run last night- got pelted with pea sized hail'

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Philliefan33

Good morning Gus!  I thought about you when the storms hit us last night and wondered if you got them.  Too bad you got caught -- we didn't have any hail but the lightning was intense.

I got my 5 miles in before the thunderstorms.  They were slow, but it was 85º so I cut myself some slack.  It should be nice for this afternoon's run -- sunny and mid-60's.  Last night's rain made everything "green up" -- the allergies kicked in but it sure is pretty.

I forgot to thank you guys  (Mel, Mitch, Ginny) for the feedback / advice on my taper.  I guess I"m just getting nervous.  I vacillate between fretting about my pace (how much faster than training pace should I target?) and thinking that I should take advantage of the automatic PR and just run nice and slow.  Then I do the math and realize I'll either finish in about 2:30 if I run my typical training pace, or 2:20 if I push hard....and either time is slow so it just doesn't matter.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  7 recovery miles tonight.

Gustav, don't run late.  Hope the thunderstorms go away.

Philliefan, nice 5.  Remember to always adjust for weather.  I adjust 30sec per mile for 80F so it is OK to slow down.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hi Penguins!

I took a personal day from work today, so I will probably get my run in later this morning.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

hog4life

8.8 last night, tonight is supposed to be the NOBO class, but looks like the storms for N Alabama will be rolling through here shortly, so class will most likely get cancelled. The last 2 miles last night was with my pup, I should get a pic of her posted so yall can see how preety she has gotten.

Margo, the heat kicked my butt yesterday too, I much prefer winter anyways, and it's so much better for running. I had the same worries with pace back before my Feb half. You will do great!

Gustav, hail? Ouchy!

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

URD yesterday, but no biggie since I'm supposed to be tapering anyway.  Did 5 easy miles this morning.  My mindset with this half is so different than the Shamrock, it's kind of funny.  I spent all winter obsessing about the Shamrock and there was this huge buildup to it.  But now with the Swamp Stomp, I'm like, oh I have another race, cool.  lol

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Good morning Gus!  I thought about you when the storms hit us last night and wondered if you got them.  Too bad you got caught -- we didn't have any hail but the lightning was intense.

I got my 5 miles in before the thunderstorms.  They were slow, but it was 85º so I cut myself some slack.  It should be nice for this afternoon's run -- sunny and mid-60's.  Last night's rain made everything "green up" -- the allergies kicked in but it sure is pretty.

I forgot to thank you guys  (Mel, Mitch, Ginny) for the feedback / advice on my taper.  I guess I"m just getting nervous.  I vacillate between fretting about my pace (how much faster than training pace should I target?) and thinking that I should take advantage of the automatic PR and just run nice and slow.  Then I do the math and realize I'll either finish in about 2:30 if I run my typical training pace, or 2:20 if I push hard....and either time is slow so it just doesn't matter.

I am NO expert and have never run a half (yet!! 6 months from tomorrow!) but I hear a lot of advice about running based on effort not pace, especially for longer races. Go out "comfortably hard" and check in every few miles and see how you feel. "Comfortably hard" too hard? Dial it back a little. Feels perfect? Keep it up. Still have a lot of gas in the tank? Pick up the pace. It's your first and will be a learning experience, and hopefully a good one (this is all based on me reading RRs and reading the forum, once again, not my experience). Good luck you will do great and I can't wait to read your RR after you finish!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Man, you guys need to watch out for the rain! There is not a cloud in the sky where I am. I hope to do a seven mile tempo run at some point today.

Phillie: there is no such thing as "slow."

Dad on the run.

Hello everyone! Sitting here at work waiting for the storms to roll this way. I looked yesterday and it suppose to die down around 7pm with a 36% chance of rain at 8pm. Hopefully it won't rain and we can run week 5 day 3 with our friends. They are coming over tonight regardless, we are going to make a pizza with a cauliflower crust, low fat cheese, turkey bacon, onion and bell pepper. YUMM! or at least I hope so. It will be the first time making the cauliflower crust.

Going to get back into a more structured workout routine next week. I have a 5k coming up on the 27th and then two more next month. I don't know if I will be setting any PRs on any of them. I haven't trained any for the one this month and next month will be our friend's first 5k so I may pace Bobby if he wants me to and then the second race is a 10k so I guess that will be a automatic PR, so I guess I will get a PR after all.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Zelanie

Morning!  I had a great run last night!  So back to feeling hopeful about my race. Smile  No running for me today since I have school and then conferences until late, but I do have tomorrow off!

Gustav- Hail, yikes!  That's one kind of weather I hope to never run in.  Glad you made it home in one piece.

Margo- We're all slow compared to somebody else, that's not the point.  I think what you're saying is that you want to enjoy the race since it's your first time at the distance, but you've worked hard and want to feel like you've given it your best too, yes?  What about starting at your LR pace (or maybe 10 seconds better) for the first 7, then picking it up from there depending upon how you feel?  I know for myself, I don't want anything to feel even remotely "hard" in the first few miles.  Even running way faster than I do in training, in the early miles of a race it feels like I'm barely shuffling along.

Damaris- Enjoy the recovery miles!

kristin- Days off from work are the best ones to get a daytime run in! Smile

Mitch- Looking forward to puppy pictures!

Dave- Good luck this weekend!

Jack- Enjoy the tempo, and the weather!

Jimmy- I have heard great things about the cauliflower pizza crust although I haven't tried it myself.  DH is our pizza chef and he likes to throw the dough, and I don't know if that would work.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I forgot to mention that yesterday when I saw DW at the track meet, she told me she signed us up for a mud run. Though I have never heard of it, it the "world famous" Camp Pendleton Mud Run. Has anyone heard of it? It's a 10k, has a bunch of obtacles, and we are doing it with three other people in a team of five. At the very least, it should be interesting. I also signed us up for a 10k on Memorial Day and we are thinking about signing up for a marathon in October.  We shall see...

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

2 miles today!

Holy thunderstorms all afternoon/last night!!! It's supposed to start raining again here shortly!!

Day of doing laundry...fun fun fun times!!! :-)

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Dad on the run.

Hey Docket, you eat Vegan right? How much do you spend bi-weekly on food and what's your main source of protein?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

GinnyinPA

The thunderstorms never materialized last night, we just had a few minutes of light rain while we walked Ben before bed.  I'm hoping today's storm will produce some rain, cause we really need it.  Since the storm missed us, so did  the projected cool down.  Maybe tomorrow?  If I run this afternoon, it will probably be on the TM.  I don't do well in heat and humidity.

Gustav - ouch. I've hiked in hail, never run in it.  And when we were backpacking, we usually took refuge under some trees.

Mitch - definitely give puppy pix.  I hope you get to do your class today.  If not, will they postpone it or skip it?

Margo - you'll do well, and you should enjoy the race too.  It looks like one with a lot of enthusiastic support.

Damaris - enjoy your recovery miles.  Seven seems long for a recovery run.

Kristin - enjoy your day off work.

Jack - hope the tempo run goes well.  So now you're doing two 10ks only four days apart?  Yikes.

Jimmy - you're thinking of becoming vegan?  I could never do that.  I like meat and cheese too much.

Dave - I wonder if going in relaxed will mean better time, or if you just won't try as hard.

Zel - glad your run went well.  Those good runs are what keep us going.

Tori - at least you got your run in before the chores start.