Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Morning Penguins (Read 25 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Holy crap, I am tired. 13 miles done in 1:56 at over 8000'. The uphills were tough. I ran with the "B" boys team and we were a tight pack the whole way. They even put me in front the last mile so I could finish "first." Too cool and what a great group of kids. Now we are off to the Nike Outpost in town and the kids get custom shirts with personalized silk screening. Home tomorrow.

Amazonian Princess

G'morning! Well, on the West Coast it's morning for about another hour Smile

Just thirty minutes of pool running last night. My brother's wedding is this weekend and somehow I have a ton of stuff to do to get both DH and I ready. Took today off work just to get started on the list - after sleeping in, coffee, and browsing RA!

Booked a kayak lesson/tour for this weekend. We're going to be right next to a lake for the wedding and I think it'd be fun to try, especially since a few people have mentioned it here! Any tips?

There's a short but steep trail from the hotel to the lake that I saw last time we were there, and since we'll be there for a few days I keep thinking I want to try and run it. It'll probably take my lunch money and send me home with a wedgie, but I really want to give it a go. I've never tried exercise at high altitude, so should I start with something easier instead like the elliptical in the hotel fitness room?

I can. I will. I am. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Posted by Baconista:  Booked a kayak lesson/tour for this weekend. We're going to be right next to a lake for the wedding and I think it'd be fun to try, especially since a few people have mentioned it here!Any tips?

Don't drown!  Have fun at your brother's wedding.

Sounds like you had a fun run, Jack, even if you did get tired from it!

80s sounds SO wonderful, Cherie!  Which 10K are you planning to do?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Yay!  It heated back up, and I got to run my intervals in full sun.  I've avoided that, and run them in the morning so far this summer.  Guess what I learned today.  You can hit your paces on intervals when it's 80, humid and sunny.  Recovering is not as easy.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

SheCan

Booked a kayak lesson/tour for this weekend. We're going to be right next to a lake for the wedding and I think it'd be fun to try, especially since a few people have mentioned it here! Any tips?

There's a short but steep trail from the hotel to the lake that I saw last time we were there, and since we'll be there for a few days I keep thinking I want to try and run it. It'll probably take my lunch money and send me home with a wedgie, but I really want to give it a go. I've never tried exercise at high altitude, so should I start with something easier instead like the elliptical in the hotel fitness room?

The kayak lesson sounds sooooooo fun!  No tips, never done it, but I'd love to.  I've always loved canoeing.  

LOL@ the trail taking your lunch money and sending you home with a wedgie!   Hahaha!   Well, if you have time, try it out.  Even if you don't fly up it, it's a new adventure.  If you don't have time, or end up too tired, then do the the elliptical  but don't skip the trail because you're scared you can't do it.  Nobody will be judging you on it.

Great job, Jack and Awood.  Jack, you did your 13 miler faster then I've ever done a 1/2 race.     

Scotty-- my 10k is in Tombstone, AZ.  They're having Vigillante's Days this weekend.  It's a really hilly, fun little race.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Still painting the first floor instead of running.  Sprucing up for DD wedding in 4 weeks.   Maybe we will run tomorrow.

Welcome home Mel !!!!

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Just a quick check-in, crazy day.  8 miles done early this morning, good run, it was only 63* out, felt great!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

Well I learned a valuable lesson today- bring water when it's warm!  I don't usually bring water and honestly I don't get thirsty when I run because I'm not used to drinking.  But today, I was running 1.5 miles farther than I'm used to, in  full sun, and in temps about 20 degrees warmer than what I've been running in lately.

I started off feeling great.  I mean great.  By about mile 4, I realized that I was starting to get thirsty.  No problem, I changed up my course to go by a picnic shelter than I thought had water.  I got there, no water fountain.  There was a sink, but some people were there setting up for an event.  I grabbed a couple of handfuls of water and kept on going.  About a mile later, I realized that I wasn't sweating anymore.  Yikes!  OK, there's a water fountain up ahead, I think I can make it.

I walked the last bit to the water fountain, got some water and sat down.  There was a guy there setting up for a BBQ, and he even gave me a bottle of water to take along.  Awesome!

I took the water and made it home, where I downed some Powerade.  I was very happy to be sweating again by the time I sat down!

Baconista- I think your plan is a sound one.  From what I've heard, we adjust (and de-adjust) to altitude fairly quickly, within a couple of days.  So if you exercise more lightly at first, that might be all it takes to be ready to hit the trail after a day or so!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

4.25 easy miles. First miles in a full week! Knee felt great!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Mitch, great job on the 3 with rain.. Is your PF still bothering you? If not or little of it, Nov HM seem reasonable.

Damaris, good luck with the 8x400.. A question: for MM like yourself, how does short interval like the 200/400 fit in?

Traci, I tried to control my urge to sign up more races.. Tongue With scotty, around, I think my syptom is pretty mild..

Scotty, man... I missed A&W.. they have pulled out of Singapore.. Sad I did get to sleep at abt 2am+.. woke up at 8+ for the run.. So, not too bad..

Lauren, 4 days week is a major step..

Mel, holiday again?!! **Envy** Hope you get the trail run in.. Will go check out roadID.. Not sure if they ship to my place..

Hopesmom, in my culture, we believe it is good luck when you find some $$.. Good karma coming your way..

Cherie, worked in a bank.. yday was exception due to some serious database issues.. Else, my hrs are quite ok. Enjoy that 10K..

Jack, that's like my HM race speed at 8000?! Are you kenyans?

Bacon, no tips.. enjoy yourself and don't fall into the lake.. hee.. Maybe a few swam will make it perfect..

Jerry, that's good X-training..

Dave, good job on the 8. 63 is like runner envy temp.

Kristin, welcome back to running..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Cherie, the marathon is in early December.

Bin, the PF is steadily getting better but not good enough for my "normal" paces. The November half will be a LR with some pace miles I hope.

Docket_Rocket

I have no idea, but my coach has them scheduled, so I must obey!  Haha.

No matter how short they are, they do help with the speed and form.  I start with 800ms next week.

Mitch, great job on the 3 with rain.. Is your PF still bothering you? If not or little of it, Nov HM seem reasonable.

Damaris, good luck with the 8x400.. A question: for MM like yourself, how does short interval like the 200/400 fit in?

Traci, I tried to control my urge to sign up more races.. Tongue With scotty, around, I think my syptom is pretty mild..

Scotty, man... I missed A&W.. they have pulled out of Singapore.. Sad I did get to sleep at abt 2am+.. woke up at 8+ for the run.. So, not too bad..

Lauren, 4 days week is a major step..

Mel, holiday again?!! **Envy** Hope you get the trail run in.. Will go check out roadID.. Not sure if they ship to my place..

Hopesmom, in my culture, we believe it is good luck when you find some $$.. Good karma coming your way..

Cherie, worked in a bank.. yday was exception due to some serious database issues.. Else, my hrs are quite ok. Enjoy that 10K..

Jack, that's like my HM race speed at 8000?! Are you kenyans?

Bacon, no tips.. enjoy yourself and don't fall into the lake.. hee.. Maybe a few swam will make it perfect..

Jerry, that's good X-training..

Dave, good job on the 8. 63 is like runner envy temp.

Kristin, welcome back to running..

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page