Beginners and Beyond

2014 Banished Words (Read 133 times)

Note the tagline under my avatar.

<---------------------

A few months ago I realized I was growing weary of the overuse of the word "journey". People use this as if whatever they are planning to accomplish, no matter how common or un-special it is, is going to be so epic that it just has to be an arduous "journey". This will no doubt offend some people but losing 10 pounds or running a 5K is not some epic "journey".

There are a few cases where I will not roll my eyes - terminal illness...fighting cancer...you know, truly life altering things. Oh, and one from my friend Catty:

I think of a journey as saving Middle Earth from Sauron. If you didn't travel miles and miles to drop a ring in the fiery pits of Mount Doom, then it's not a journey.

MTA:  After re-reading this, I do not mean to diminish anyone's accomplishments or the reaching of goals. I just ask for perspective.

happylily

Hearing it is bad enough, but even more than that...I don't want to SEE it!!!

LOL...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

<---------------------

A few months ago I realized I was growing weary of the overuse of the word "journey". People use this as if whatever they are planning to accomplish, no matter how common or un-special it is, is going to be so epic that it just has to be an arduous "journey". This will no doubt offend some people but losing 10 pounds or running a 5K is not some epic "journey".

There are a few cases where I will not roll my eyes - terminal illness...fighting cancer...you know, truly life altering things. Oh, and one from my friend Catty:

I think of a journey as saving Middle Earth from Sauron. If you didn't travel miles and miles to drop a ring in the fiery pits of Mount Doom, then it's not a journey.

MTA:  After re-reading this, I do not mean to diminish anyone's accomplishments or the reaching of goals. I just ask for perspective.

I have to remember to stop using the word "journey" in my marathon RRs... 

happylily

Well I have no idea why they picked T-Bone.

But if you do not understand the other one, you don't watch enough sports. Because they are always overdramatizing everything, like it is life or death. Not just "adversity", but football is always reported like they are on a battlefield - words like bravery, courage, heroism, warriors, etc. are liberally thrown around.

But I thought that all your sports stars were American heroes?

<---------------------

I always thought it was about the band.

Dave

Hip Redux

I always thought it was about the band.

There's a stop sign in my neighborhood that says this:

There's also a STOP: Hammertime one in around the corner.

They could go on & on with this gag...STOP: In the name of love; STOP: Hey, what's that sound; It is time for you to STOP all of your sobbing, etc....

Dave

There's a stop sign in my neighborhood that says this:

At that last wintry race I did a few weeks ago, there was one with a STOP: (global warming) sticker.  Had I not needed dry gloves, I would have crafted a "NO" rebuttal on it in snow.

RSX

I wish paparazzi was banished. Until Princess Di perished I only heard them called press or media. That 1 song by Lady Gaga, I can't turn fast enough.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sigh. OK if it is too much trouble, I will cut & paste for you.

SPORTS: ADVERSITY Heard often in the world of football.

"Facing adversity is working 50 hours a week and still struggling to feed your kids. Facing third and fifteen without your best receiver with tens of millions in the bank, is not."

Maybe this is a simple confusion of similar sounding words. Football teams face an adversary, not adversity, or in other words an opponent, the other team, or "the enemy".

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

workinprogress11

And marathon!  Everything is a marathon...a Duck Dynasty marathon, a Toyota sale marathon, knitting marathon, a 5K marathon...just stop it!

I wonder if they start knitting too fast if they hit the wall and their fingers won't move right.

Hip Redux

I wonder if they start knitting too fast if they hit the wall and their fingers won't move right.

Or if they didn't carbo load before!  Crash and burn knitting.  Dangerous stuff with those needles.

Singer who runs a smidge

I will admit to having issues with my knitting pacing in the past.  The Knit March Of Death is not pretty.  Just ... one ... more ... row!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Will run for scenery.

Thead bump.

How about phrases.  Like, say,  "Twerking Teen Flash Mob" ?

What kind of flash mob was it ?  Ah, yes, a teen flash mob.  And they were twerking.  Not to be confused with a more mature flash mob.  Doing, for example, the Hustle.

I can't say why I read CNN (That was one of their headline stories today), but I do.

Carry on......

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The only one that seriously irritates me is the overuse of "warrior."  You are not a warrior because you completed some bullshit contest.   

That, hero, and a number of other terms (victim comes to mind) have been so watered down by overuse in inappropriate contexts that they've lost the impact they should have. This quotation from Through the Looking Glass comes to mind:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

Then we wonder why there's a communication breakdown.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.