Beginners and Beyond

It's been asked before, what to expect? (Read 98 times)

Sloooow.

I should be having surgery this Thursday, provided they don't reschedule. I'll probably be taking 10-14 days off from running.

How will this effect me?

My mileage is not high at all, my longest run so far is only 5 miles and I try to maintain 10-12 miles a week.

Should I pretty much start back at C25K level?

I should be having a titanium ossicular prosthesis fixed in also, and I have no idea how I should go about running after that. Google comes up with nothing. Shot in the dark, anyone else have one? Lol.

Thanks in advance Smile

Mmmmm...beer

I have no advice to give, but just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Love the Half

How long have you been running?  If you have been running for several years, a couple of weeks off will have very little impact.  If you have only been running a few months, it will have more of an impact but it's certainly not going to set you back to zero.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Sloooow.

Thanks Dave!

LtH- I've only been running since July 2012, so 8 months.

Love the Half

Meh, two weeks then won't do much in that case.  Take a week at 50% mileage, a second week at 75% mileage, and then get back where you left off.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Mostly harmless

Meh, two weeks then won't do much in that case.  Take a week at 50% mileage, a second week at 75% mileage, and then get back where you left off.

+1 to this.  All I will add is listen to your body.  I tried to come back too quickly after foot surgery in 2010 and it cost me an additional 4 months.  Best of luck with your surgery!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Luke79

I'd second this.  I've always heard you don't lose fitness with up to 2 weeks off, then it goes downhill after that.

I would agree that how long you've been running is relevant in that theory.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Good luck!!!!

I have been running almost the same amount of time as you, summer of 2012 I started as well. I just took an entire month off more or less because of injury. I did a few test runs the first week back for a total of 5 miles,and then went to 8 miles per week and built back from there slowly. But my primary concern was reaggarvating the injury, not loss of fitness. Without considering the injury I think I could have built back faster. I would say do what you can and listen to your body. Head out for a run when you're recovered, see how it goes. Stop for walk breaks if you need them, or stop all together and walk home.

again good luck!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

After a seven week stint on the bench, I found when I returned that running easy was well, easy.  Marathon pace and faster however was a different story!

It took about 4-6 weeks running easy before I built my endurance up to where the faster paces were sustainable, but the beauty of returning to running from injury is that you are running!

Sloooow.

OK, thank you so much everyone, feel a lot better about it now. I'm pretty sure I'll be including the 3 days leading up to surgery so I can go mope in my worry cave, haha.

Thanks again Smile