Beginners and Beyond

Dude!!.....My joints are killin me!! Is it the old wive's tale about cold weather??? (Read 87 times)

Love the Half

My goal is to spell slightly better than a French speaking person.

Another reason to have Google Chrome as your browser of choice.  If you misspell a word it underlines it for you just like Microsoft Word.  It's not perfect because it doesn't recognize proper names and such but it is a nice feature.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

TJoseph

Another reason to have Google Chrome as your browser of choice.  If you misspell a word it underlines it for you just like Microsoft Word.  It's not perfect because it doesn't recognize proper names and such but it is a nice feature.

Some of the applications I use for work require IE and I don't like switching back and forth.  I suppose I am cured of misspelling definitely, but I make a lot of typos and I am not good at editing my own writing.  When I write for work I use a spell checker and have co-workers edit it, but I am not going to spend a lot of time worrying about it for posts on the Internet.

RabbitChaser

It says 49 right now.  Sounds about right.  (Brrrrrrrr......well, for So Cal, anyway)

Weights went ok last night.  It only really hurts on "lateral" movements.  Squats, extensions and leg curls all went well, with maybe a little pain on the last set of leg extensions.

First 5 minutes this morning were good, then when I went to get off the couch I felt the "twinge" again. (ouch).  Hoping to be able to get in even just a trot tonight.  Oh, I also iced it a couple times yesterday & gonna choke down some ibuprofen today too.

I think you just set yourself up for a case of the runner's trots tonight!

I hope your knee issue gets resolved quickly.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I think you just set yourself up for a case of the runner's trots tonight!

I hope your knee issue gets resolved quickly.

Nooooooo!  Not that kind of trot!! Joking Shocked Wink

As fate would have it, I had to run after the trash truck this morning. (facepalm).  It wasn't until I was running into the backyard to get the cans that I realized, "Hey, buddy!  You're running!"  It didn't hurt so I felt good for a sec.

It appears to be lateral moves that do it.  When I got out of the car at work, I felt it and similar getting out of my chair at work.  If I'm in a straight line and vertical, all's well.  So I'm gonna try that tonight & do the treadmill to help w/ impact.  Hopefully I can get in a few miles.

(sigh)

Randy

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Just an update (I put in the dailies & penguins) that I was able to do 4 on the hamster wheel last night.  Kept things nice & fluid.  Tried not to get too crazy.

Did a 1 mile warmup, then hopped off & walked & lightly stretched a little.

Then did 2 more at HM pace and 1 more at 10K pace which was inspiring.

Yesterday would have normally been at least 5 and was planning on 8 but 4 is better than nothing.  Also would be normally doing 5 or so tonight with track work first thing in the morning but not sure if I should just rest completely & do track work tomorrow, or do light work tonight and lighter work (even track work) again tomorrow.

Too much Dr. Google will make a person go NUTSO!!!!  Dead Clown

Randy

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

How are things looking for the 10k? Perhaps you just needed a good strecthing from a Tito Santana figure four leg lock?

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Well, I think I'd rather Tito's than Ric Flair's.  Ric's were always a little more devastating to opponents. Cool

A little stylin' & profilin'!!!

I don't think it'll interfere with the 10K unless things get any worse.  I'm just gonna have to take it easy for a bit & I don't really want to.  I was even gonna press for another PR, but I don't think it's meant for this race unless the stars align.

So far, so good today.  Best it's been so far, so I think I'll take an SRD unless the legs just can't sit still.

Randy

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Welp, label me an idiot!!  I should have done 1 of 2 things tonight.

#1.)  Not run at all

#2.)  Not run outside (i.e. on the treadmill)

Last mile of my run I hopped off a curb & had to one-hop it on one leg as I felt my left knee twinge. AngryAngryAngry  I was able to finish running it out as I feel I'm ok if I run straight & don't cut or hop.

Anyway, then I decided to "test" it again by stepping off another curb..........IDIOT!!!    Damn that hurt!!!

I'm not gonna ice it, stretch it, massage it.....nothin'.  I'm just sitting here being pissed!!  That'll have to do for tonight.

Randy

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I know I should probably have put all this in the "disabled" thread, but I'm a whiner & a vet here on the boards so I'm gonna eat up some real estate & bitch & complain to my heart's content!!  Evil

If I had to guess what's wrong, I'd say LCL.  Looking down at my left foot, the pain comes on the outside, though more like 10 o'clock than the 9 o'clock that I assume the LCL to be positioned in.

I can walk around fine, then there are just those moments if I do just the right lateral move (or kinda' torsional move) that it just barks at me.

I couldn't run this morning, so I pumice stoned my master toilet.  That puppy looks brand new!!  BRAND NEW!!  If you have hard water stains in your toilet......grab yourself a pumice stone & go to town.  It really works!!

Off to walk an amusement park.  (probably not recommended either but WTH, right?)

Randy

sirdizzy

In the mornings it takes me 10 minutes to feel my toes after my bike ride, I need to get those little booties you can put over your bike shoes.  I need to also dig out the warm clothes my wife bought me last year because she thought I was going to freeze to death.  I love this time of the year the bike paths are all mine because of all the wussies who think they will freeze to death Smile Just like at 5pm at night during the summer the bike paths are mine because they think they will melt.  Gotta be careful though saw the roads getting clogged with snowbirds already yesterday.

But yea my joints feel a little stiffer when it rains or is cold.  I had tendinitis in my shoulder a few years back and the rain and cold makes my shoulder ache.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Randy,

Have you checked to see if it is an IT issue?

Secondly, tighten your abs when you run, it will keep your hips from rocking, more efficient and less stress on the IT and lateral movements.

Timely article from today's Wall Street Journal.

Slight caveat: I have read neither any of the posts in this thread, nor the linked article.

And I have a subscription, not sure if you can read the article without one.

You're welcome.

Dave

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Sly - I don't think it's an IT issue as it's definitely under my knee.  (Again, just toward the outside of the left knee at about 9:30 looking down at your foot).  I really wish I knew what I did.  It totally sucks.  Finish a great run & 10 minutes later, feel like somebody took a sledge to your knee.

Things are slowly getting better but it still "barks" at me every once in a while.

Wanna hear something reeeeally weird???????????????????????  This gal asked me if I had any pork in the last couple days prior to the incident.  Not only did I have some..........I had some identically time-wise to the weird feeling in my right hip the week before..  Apparently some Mexican wive's tale that says pork causes joints to hurt.  (Again, I think mine's more injury than soreness, but I get the gist).

But I simply told her I'd jacked my knee & her first question to me before ANYTHING else was......'Did you eat any pork recently?"

How about that for some controversy??  Wink

Randy

TJoseph

I just upgraded to IE 10 on my personal laptop and it has the spell checking feature.  My work laptop is still IE 8.  All my apps seem to be working okay with the new version.