Beginners and Beyond

Negril Reggae Marathon, an RR, plus some philosophical crap and many running-unrelated pictures (Read 127 times)

Nevrgivup

Thank you so much Julie for sharing. I loved reading the entire RR and love how humble you have become. I'm very happy for you. Your sister is in my thoughts and congrats on becoming a grandmother soon.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

delicate flower

Sounds like pretty tough conditions.  I've done one HM in 90 degree heat and it was 25 minutes slower than my current PR.  You can't underestimate what the warm air does to your body.  Sounds you've got some good perspective on things though, Lily.  And 3rd place female masters and cash and a trophy!?  SCORE!!

I might have tried the magic mushrooms....

<3

LRB

I suffered from hallucinations during a 20 mile run in 90 degree + temps and seriously contemplated giving up my goal of attaining a black belt...hey, I said I hallucinated!

Seriously, I would not have even attempted a marathon in those temps so kudos for that!  Did you at least buy some of those mushrooms you know, as a cool trinket for visitors to your home?

SheCan

Beautiful report, Julie.   I always love the photographs from everyone's destination races, though i can't imagine having to run a full marathon in the heat and humidity of the Jamaica.  Congratulations@ winning 3rd woman overall!  That's awesome, I hope you realize how how fast, once you adjust for heat, that run really was.  Very happy for you, and I think it's super cool that a woman won first overall!  Yippee!!!!  Also congratulations on the coming grandchild!  You're so lucky!

Lastly, your sister is beautiful, just like you, and I'm sure she's also a unusual, and kind person like her big sister.  I'm sorry that she has to battle this awful disease.  Regardless of the outcome, I know this is not going to be easy for your family, and hope she can successful overcome this cancer.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

PADRunner

Thanks for the RR enjoyed it.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Love your RR's Julie. Hope you have many more.

Great report, Lily.  Thank you for sharing your adventures with us, it's the next best thing to actually traveling.

The shoes got there, and your washing machine didn't break... I am relieved.  Smile

It sounds like the trip more than made up for the difficult racing conditions.  The analogy of plunging into competition like a cold pool was really good, and congratulations on the AG cash as a result!

You are far too youthful and fit to be termed a "grandmother".  Perhaps you'll have to go by "mom of a mom" for several years yet.  Big grin

Prayers and thoughts sent your sister's way.

Bin Running

Beautiful place and beautiful report.. Congrats on the bling and ca$h.. Now, your hubby will agreed to destination race as it's an source of income.. Smile

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Wonderful RR and congratulations on the race.  Wonderful that you, DH and DS got to spend a week together and enhance your life experiences.  One thing I found from working in the Carribean years ago is that alot of what we see as poverty and slum like conditions are perfectly normal to the locals.  They often choose not to work hard, and thus have less money.  But money is not the be all to them so they live in less than ideal conditions, but live happylilly (happilly, lol) and accept what God has given them without disdain.

BTW, first time I have ever seen the word "fatidic".  Had to look it up.  Impressive vocabulary along with your race times.

Cheers.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

And they give you granddaughters. (not from the trip, but this picture was taken a week before that. I thought I'd slip that one in.  February 10th is the big day.)    Good day!  Feb 10 is my birthday....but MANY MANY years ago, lol, when I was born on that day.

Great report, and great photos!  I don't think you look old and tired at all, you look great in all of them.  Wow, your finish time is about my half marathon time, lol.   Congrats on your marathon and your determination and perseverance!

Our hotel was the cutest place ever, with some of the warmest staff we've ever encountered.

In warm Jamaica, I would guess so!  Are you trying to be funny?

Very sorry to hear about your sister's thyroid cancer!  I wish her all the best and all the luck, good thoughts, vibes, prayers, etc., all for her!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

MothAudio

How you approached this race [due to the weather] is how I used to race my early marathons - bank time. That strategy has never worked for me in a marathon [though it's been successful in the half marathon]. My only warm weather marathon experience was in my 2nd, so even though it was a huge PB it was MUCH tougher than my debut. Given the conditions you were dealing with I would have thrown out my original plan and made it a glorified long run. Congrats on the $$$ - looks like you had a good time!

I read your ultra comment. I'm not sure at what point I stopped looking at others runners as just my competition, realizing we share the same [or similar] goals and suffering the same [or similar] discomfort. It's a weird relationship - one moment fighting for position and the next appreciating their effort and our struggle toward a common distination. I don't see this as an "ultra thing", it's just, it seems, more a question of emphasis - standing in the middle of a forrest not knowing which direction to turn forces you to reach out. If you stick with our sport long enough you'll realize, usually in a difficult situation, like you discovered, the race is as much about sharing a common goal, to will ourselves to something gearter than we could do alone, as it is about winning. Once the crowd of skinny runners were seen as my competition but now I understand they are ATST my witness.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

hog4life

Julie, first I want to say how sorry I am that your baby sister has cancer. I know all too well the effects of this awful disease that affects so many of us. I am sending prayers and some healing vibes for her.

You are such a remarkable writer with these RR's of yours. I envy you for this. My races are never like this, well, or maybe they are, but I can't put in on the screen the way you can. You are such an amazing runner, I only dream of being able to run the way you do. Congratulations on another great destination race! Congrats on the masters award too. I can't see the pics at work, so I'll look at them later.

RabbitChaser

Congratulations on battling through the tough spots and winning the $100! You may not have met your goal, but it still sounds like a successful race to me. Because of the heat, it's one race that I doubt I will ever run as I am a very crappy runner in the heat. I enjoyed reading about your journey, thanks for sharing the RR and pics.

tracilynn

What a great read!  Loved it. I always enjoy reading your RRs. You see the beauty in everything and I need to be more like that. Sorry about your sister and I will say a little prayer for her. Your son is growing up And A baby coming soon. So awesome! Congrats on your finish and your trophy. Great job.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Strict WTF adherent

Well done and great report. Congrats.

But this particular race has been on my list for quite some time. Now, maybe not so much.