Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Too Hot To Handle 15K and 5K (Read 10 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

Held on July 12, 2015 at Boerne City Lake Park.  This was my 34th race of 2015 and my 2nd race of the weekend, after having done a 5K on July 11.  For this event there was a 5K (244 participants) and a 15K (201 participants) and a 1K kids run.  There was also a new course for this event.  Both the 5K and the 15K started at 7:30 a.m., so a nice early start.  I ended up with a 35:04 chip time finish, placing 6th in my age group.  I might have finished a bit faster except that the course change was nice and I enjoyed some views along the way so stopped a bit more than I usually do during an event to take a few extra photos.  It's all good, I enjoyed myself and there were some very speedy guys in my age group for this event so at my normal pace I really didn't expect to place anyway.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Umm, ok, I really like this race, so I may have gotten a bit carried away as I took over 100 photos for this one.  So sit back and enjoy the ride! 

Before the Start

Boerne City Lake is just outside the city of Boerne (pronounced "burny") and is a very popular recreation area with the lake, picnic tables, some trails going around the lake, swimming, boating, etc.   It's about a 40 minute drive from where I live, so with the 7:30 start time, I left about 5:45 a.m. to arrive with some time remaining before the start to wander around and get a few photos.

photo 001_zpspxmhl8hx.jpg

photo 002_zpsancmvy63.jpg

photo 004_zpsiecdflmq.jpg

photo 005_zpsojrxrmtr.jpg

Runner warming up..with the sunlight coming in behind her in the east

photo 006_zpsub8sjuqz.jpg

The lonely start line before all the activity begins

photo 007_zpsyfimhwkw.jpg

You could get a massage pre-start and post-race

photo 010_zpsyiucxm50.jpg

A few of the participants, supporters, etc.  The ladies in the first photo give a nice view of the tech singlet that all participants got

Yours truly with my speedy pal, Bernadette, who also did the same 5K on Saturday that I did.  Now, the only problem I had with my bib number was that everyone kept asking me for information. 

photo 020_zpsdticbqz7.jpg

photo 011_zpsm8njlovi.jpg

photo 008_zpsw1clnd6d.jpg

photo 009_zpsguef8c8h.jpg

photo 012_zpsnpyphipl.jpg

Small world! This is Patrick,  a friend of my wife and I - and also the minister who renewed our vows for us on our 20th wedding anniversary.  Super nice guy.  He was here this morning "dog-sitting" for a friend of his who was a participant in the race.

photo 013_zpscva0x4zw.jpg

photo 015_zpsrfx19db7.jpg

The official photographer and the race MC

photo 016_zpskku25wd0.jpg

photo 017_zps3dyq1gkz.jpg

photo 018_zpsftil6ni8.jpg

photo 019_zpsguz6gf5s.jpg

photo 023_zps6yhxxcqv.jpg

photo 024_zpsubgakpfp.jpg

Me with Mitch - co-owner of iRun Texas, the local specialty running store that puts on this event - and one of his lovely staff...and my apologies for not remembering her name...because I'm OLD and have brain dumps at times. 

photo 025_zps9sgerohu.jpg

photo 026_zpsqmbnjwxk.jpg

photo 027_zpsi0mhb7ig.jpg

photo 028_zpsheavkcxg.jpg

photo 029_zpsg3phnquw.jpg

photo 030_zpswq3wmsh3.jpg

photo 031_zpslhx1jxvs.jpg

photo 032_zpsfgvcbq7w.jpg

My running pals Gene and Loyce

photo 034_zpsyrllq1sb.jpg

Getting ready to start

photo 033_zpsjupxzenz.jpg

On the Course

We started near the picnic grounds and across from the event pavilion of the park.  The past course for this event took us left out of the start area, but this time we turned right, then climbed a hill to a trail up above the lake, making our way along this trail with the lake to our right.  We hit some pavement for a bit, and for the 5K folks we then turned onto one of the local country roads and did a little out-and-back on this.  After we did the turn-around, it was back to the finish the way we had come out.   For we 5K folks we had a couple of small hills too deal with; they were a bit steep but fairly short.  The trails were rocky in places but since I live near a park in San Antonio that has similar trails to this, this type of running was 'old hat' for me so I had no problems with it at all.  I did see one lady a bit ahead of me catch her foot on a rock and down she went. I did stop to help, but she had a few friends with her and they began to take care of her and told me to go on ahead.  I heard later she had really banged both knees up a bit - ouch! - and was taken back to the start/finish area.  Hope she is okay and heals quickly!   The 15K folks, of course, had a much longer "out" than we 5K folks did and after talking with a few of them I knew after they got back, they said their course was BRUTALLY hilly, especially along miles 4 to 6.   Made me glad I can't do distance running anymore, lol, with this arthritis I have.   Kudos and respect to all those folks that took on that  hilly 15K!

I'm on the bottom here..and am heading up to that top ridge...

photo 036_zpsuyxwhjkc.jpg

photo 037_zpsa0tz6cfn.jpg

Once we got on the top ridge...nice views of the lake!

photo 038_zpsnoeroc2n.jpg

photo 039_zpsbujrg7eu.jpg

On the top ridge trail...

photo 040_zpsibdnrumw.jpg

photo 041_zpsjludhkui.jpg

photo 042_zpse7bvj23v.jpg

photo 043_zps8vt6h6ct.jpg

photo 044_zps8mryoiuj.jpg

photo 045_zpsmtk3lgtg.jpg

photo 046_zpswwpfhb7o.jpg

On the road where the 5K folks did a turn-around and the 15K folks kept on going straight..

photo 047_zpsqmcvpse5.jpg

photo 048_zpsvqgnizq0.jpg

photo 049_zpsqbs4vfni.jpg

photo 050_zpsniyfjzpz.jpg

photo 051_zpsi9qd8mzf.jpg

photo 052_zpsfkdh18kl.jpg

Back on the trail, heading toward the finish and for the 5K folks this was about our only 'steep' hill, so not bad at all.

photo 053_zpshuwkvnfl.jpg

Looking at the course behind me from the hill

photo 054_zpspplmay6x.jpg

After that I took myself nonstop back to the finish.

After the Finish

Shiner Beer was there post-race and that's where I went first.  But I'd forgotten it was Sunday so no alcohol could be served up until 10 a.m. by county law, darn the luck.  So I enjoyed some water and a banana and there were also breakfast tacos of various flavors and I munched on those and wandered around taking some post-race photos, first of the 5K folks who, of course, finished long before the 15K folks and then the 15K folks began coming in and got some photos of some of them too.

iRun folks ready for the awards ceremony.  Now, you can tell the young lady is an angel since she's got that sunlight 'halo' atop her head.

photo 055_zps12ts2d9o.jpg

photo 056_zpsdaz7bfzx.jpg

photo 057_zpsxqaysfy0.jpg

photo 058_zpsqdbu1pot.jpg

photo 059_zpsyrwyr5bn.jpg

photo 060_zpstnexpp2a.jpg

photo 061_zpsthq6hvsx.jpg

photo 062_zpsog4oskgl.jpg

photo 063_zpsts34dkty.jpg

photo 064_zpsexixksza.jpg

photo 065_zpshsx593i7.jpg

photo 067_zpslko7n7eg.jpg

photo 068_zpsl8wbbm1n.jpg

photo 069_zpsa8t0yyue.jpg

Two of the early 15K finishers...Gary, on the left finished in 59 minutes and the guy with him finished right behind him in 3rd place.

photo 070_zpsbbme0dt0.jpg

photo 071_zpsou8wjuuo.jpg

photo 072_zpscke3erdn.jpg

photo 073_zps7varumm2.jpg

iRun food volunteers

photo 074_zpsoaaiphla.jpg

..and some of the goodies...

photo 075_zpsq9xi3g7t.jpg

photo 076_zpsw0tf9cf2.jpg

photo 077_zpsy7eb5gvq.jpg

photo 078_zpspjxzpn9c.jpg

photo 079_zps1ihatqxy.jpg

A lot of folks like this guy on the left - especially the 15K folks who were out there a while - had these 'iced down' towels on their heads post-race that iRun had available right after the finish, a very nice touch for this warm July event.

photo 080_zps6yppedn3.jpg

One of the food trucks out there for us

photo 081_zpszayfdxws.jpg

photo 082_zpst7lj9zzf.jpg

photo 083_zpsdib3witm.jpg

One of my 'running crushes", Ceci, on the far left, with two lovely lady friends.    She is co-owner of iaapweb.com, another very good local race company so is usually quite busy and does not usually have time to do a race as she is often organizing and overseeing them; so it was nice seeing her at this one that she actually got to run.  She did the 15K.

photo 084_zpsfdlg0pyo.jpg

photo 085_zpsbc9qzplo.jpg

photo 086_zpsydqwhzdk.jpg

photo 087_zpssuzzqxew.jpg

photo 088_zpsif0neszq.jpg

photo 089_zpsfgkokejk.jpg

photo 090_zpsxkluascp.jpg

photo 091_zpsygkp2xql.jpg

photo 092_zpszz2hl2fd.jpg

photo 093_zpsr6nnojid.jpg

photo 094_zpsk3jjwj0r.jpg

photo 095_zpszergwpdu.jpg

photo 096_zpswghlgstu.jpg

photo 098_zpsg8itpuna.jpg

photo 099_zpsw6lb5gnx.jpg

photo 100_zpsiuemd3ak.jpg

photo 101_zpskgb4hvuj.jpg

photo 102_zps4rqluoph.jpg

photo 103_zpspkay31cw.jpg

photo 106_zpslsl4jpgb.jpg

photo 107_zpsbfkbocsf.jpg

photo 108_zpsnpat1m6m.jpg

photo 109_zpsmfxjzbhg.jpg

photo 110_zpsubqey2mr.jpg

photo 111_zps3ggxdlgw.jpg

photo 112_zpsirzwkgzc.jpg

photo 113_zpssr5vj9lt.jpg

photo 114_zps7u2pxqu6.jpg

Yeah, finally got my beer!

photo 104_zpspvm1h0js.jpg

EPILOG

This event is organized by iRun Texas, a very good local running specialty store.  They have some really great people on their staff and always put on great events.   Mitch Allen, co-owner of iRun and all-around great guy, did a great job with the awards ceremony and making sure everything was going okay; and Mark Purnell, our MC who does MC duties for quite a few local events during the year, did his usual great job.  Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement folks that were out there for us...all the people that made this one happen for we participants.  This is one of their events I especially like and I've done it quite a few times in the past. And, as for the new course this year, personally I like this one much better than the old course of past years.  This one is much more 'scenic" as you get a nice view of the lake - and when you are on the top ridge, a nice breeze from the lake going out and coming back, which is really appreciated - and not so much a straight 'out-and-back' on country roads like the other course is.  After I finished I kind of took an 'impromptu survey' of participants.  I asked - and I know how many cuz I counted them lol - 15 participants if they liked this course better or the old one better - and 14 of the 15 said they liked the newer one better; so I hope this year's course is the one iRun keeps for this event.

Next up for me:  No race to do next weekend, so I will be a volunteer at the July 18 San Antonio Roadrunners Women's 5K, of which my friend Sally is RD.  So many Great Legs in one place and I can't chase any of them!      But it's okay...I will be one of the course marshals, so will bring my camera and at least get a few race photos for Sally, so it's all good.  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

photo 020_zpsdticbqz7.jpg

Love what you did to the singlet there.

I do not know who to come see first in Texas, you or Bernadette!

Docket_Rocket

I swear I posted here after I read it but it looks like I didn't.  Great RR, Scotty.  It's nice to see you out of your comfort awesome Tee.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page