Beginners and Beyond

Report With Photos: Family Visit and Running in Wenatchee, Washington (Read 36 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

For the Thanksgiving Holiday, my wife and I traveled to Wenatchee WA (where she grew up) to stay with my Mother-in-Law and Father-in-Law and to celebrate the 90th birthday of my Father-in-Law, a member of the 'Greatest Generation", who served in WWII.   Not too many of these folks left these days!

Of course, coming from San Antonio, the weather was QUITE different in Washington State.  When we left San Antonio on November 24, it was in the upper 60s.  We arrived in Seattle to rain, wind, and a temp of around 39 degrees.  When we arrived in Wenatchee - which is in Eastern Washington - the temp was around 26 degrees...BRRR!    Thankfully, for my first run/walk in Wenatchee on Tuesday, Nov 25, the temp actually rose a bit.  It was around 8 a.m. when I went out and the temp was a pleasant (sort of) 45 degrees, so I actually wore just shorts and a long-sleeved top, doing an easy 3-miles.

My next run/walk was Wednesday evening, the 26th, which also was my FIL's birthday.  There was a big 'family affair" lunch for him, which was really nice.  I ate way too much and then about 3 hours later 'waddled" on down to the packet pickup area for the Wenatchee Turkey Trot I had signed up for on Thanksgiving Day.  The place was right along the Wenatchee River Trail - a very nice paved hike-and-bike trail that goes along the river (I think it's the Columbia River, but I may be wrong).  This trail loops around the river - with bridges to cross to the other side of the river. The trail is used as part of the course for the Wenatchee Marathon and Half Marathon held here.  Makes for a very scenic run - when you can see it.  Unfortunately, I was running near dusk and it got dark pretty quick and my camera is not the best for night shots, as you can tell:

Looking across the river where I started from

photo DSCF6996_zps2769f09b.jpg

Climbed this bridge to go across the river

photo DSCF6999_zpseac95d86.jpg

photo DSCF7001_zps3e4358e8.jpg

photo DSCF7004_zps183bc042.jpg

Looking down the river and into the night from the bridge

photo DSCF7002_zpsa3433323.jpg

Back on the trail and you come across some very odd sculptures along the way....and when these suddenly "appear from the dark" as you round a bend, it's kinda creepy...

photo DSCF7018_zpsa2f49b30.jpg

Followed that Wednesday evening run with my Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving put on by Run Wenatchee.  Very fun event.  My report and photos of that event are here at this link:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/b6fd245ca8d04cc999bb9ffa98826d34/resume#focus

Saturday was my next run/walk.  In the 40s for my Turkey Trot but by Saturday the temp had dropped dramatically.  I went down to the other side of the river trail, to a park called Walla Walla Park.   The temp was 26 degrees with a 'feels like" temp of 18 and the wind was blowing like crazy from the river. BRRR!!! It even snowed on me, how RUDE of Mother Nature! 

I started out by the river near where I parked.  These geese and ducks did not seem to mind the cold at all.

photo 003_zpsf0352353.jpg

The wind off the river was REALLY blowing. I'd been to this park before - on a summer trip, thank goodness, when I could really explore it - and knew there were some trails through the woods a bit ahead, so I went there as quick as I could to get a bit of a windbreak from the trees, and made a loop on the trails.

When I got to that area, the trail was not too wet-and-white yet

photo 005_zpsb0069249.jpg

There were some river inlets to my right, along with some 'bird-watching' stations

photo 004_zps41169654.jpg

Snow began to fall as I took this photo and my flash caught them as little white dots... photo 007_zps94c79fb7.jpg

photo 006_zps1b963400.jpg

by the time I got to this part of the trail the snow was 'flurrying" down pretty good, starting to cover the trails

photo 008_zps863df8e0.jpg

photo 009_zpsff66eab3.jpg

photo 010_zps10453824.jpg

Yeah, this Texas doggie started to feel like this clump of grass....BRRR!

photo 011_zps10770129.jpg

photo 012_zps959d103d.jpg

Heading back to the car and the river was now on my left...so now the other side of my face was getting the wind blasts.

photo 013_zps211170d9.jpg

Like my evening run on Wednesday, there were some odd sculptures along the way for my Saturday run....this one struck me as funny....what the heck is this wolf doing with all these fish?

photo 014_zpsbbab8bc8.jpg

photo 015_zps6605f767.jpg

The swimming area at the park...a bit too cold for humans this time of year, but the birds seemed not to mind...

photo 016_zps9cef1fdd.jpg

Trail back was much more slippery now than when I started out...had to watch my footing in spots...nice trail, though...

photo 017_zps1f1cacc0.jpg

photo 021_zps29a08776.jpg

If you read my Turkey Trot report, you may remember this lady.  She was at the event with one of her Irish Wolfhounds and I got a photo of her.  I encountered her again on my Saturday run and she and her companion were with THREE Irish Wolfhounds

photo 018_zps9584d761.jpg

photo 019_zps0fafb385.jpg

She kindly took a photo of me post-run/walk out in this weather.  Runners...we're all nuts, right?

photo 020_zps3b614b57.jpg

Then I got back to my car....it was DRY around the car when I started my run/walk!

photo 022_zps82e1946d.jpg

When I got back to the house, a couple of my wife's nephews were out trimming a tree in the yard.  And my MIL was supervising...in short sleeves.   Really?  In this weather?  I guess I really am a cold-weather wimp, lol.

photo 023_zps6eaddfee.jpg

photo 024_zps1f98456d.jpg

Bob (on the far left) my buddy and 'brother from another mother".......my wife Gail's brother, actually...with his

photo 025_zps7976d85b.jpg

Bob and his lady, the lovely Ann, from New Zealand.   Fun lady, great sense of humor, enjoyed meeting and talking with her

photo 026_zps5e2dc5d6.jpg

A nice hot shower after I got back to the house and then I was lazy the rest of the day, watching football...and staying warm!

Sunday I was out again. At least it had stopped snowing and was nice and sunny.  Didn't seem to help with the temp though....19 degrees with a 'feels like" temp of 12.  TWELVE!  That is dang cold for a  lovin'-warm-weather Texas doggie!   Just ran around the local residential areas near my in-laws' house.  They live quite close to a range of hills, etc.  The clear day provided some nice views for my run/walk.

This was the view I had from the front door as I went out...

photo 027_zps548e5387.jpg

photo 028_zpsc59c27fe.jpg

photo 029_zps92b36121.jpg

Going up this road, had a head-on view of the range...

photo 030_zps90c25362.jpg

photo 031_zps473c4224.jpg

photo 032_zpsc3e7f154.jpg

On this road, saw the sun just starting to peek out from behind this area on my right..

photo 034_zps60791d8f.jpg

photo 035_zps4425934d.jpg

These hills were to my left

photo 037_zpsd770a4e9.jpg

...and then in front of me as I turned onto various streets to head back towards the house..

photo 039_zpsb365fbc4.jpg

photo 040_zpse1c5749b.jpg

photo 041_zps1a7dbf84.jpg

The newspaper delivery lady kindly took this photo of me in my Triumph Over Winter, lol.  3.7 miles done.

photo 042_zpsefdfa8f9.jpg

All-in-all a very nice trip in spite of the cold. I survived the cold and got in some good running in spite of it.  And got to spend time with "my" family, with lots of smiles and laughter and good times.  I say "my family" because I do consider my in-laws my family.  My parents are both gone now, and I don't really feel close with many members of my own family - maybe because during my military years I was traveling quite a bit around the world and just became sort of a 'loner" along the way, since I always seemed to be so far from home;  just a few of my living family now are very special to me, such as my daughter, my granddaughters, my son, a couple of my cousins, and so forth, for example.  So when people ask me about my family, it's my in-laws that I immediately think of.   Gail has a brother and 3 sisters.  Her brother, Bob and I - my "brother from another mother"  -  when we get together, it gets kinda crazy with the one-liners and jokes flying, lol, I love this guy to death, always a fun time with him.  Her sisters and their families have welcomed me into the family, into their homes, into their lives and have been very good to me, and I love them for it.  And as for my MIL and FIL, they have always been good to me since I first met them way back when.  My MIL has always "spoiled" me, lol...sending me cookies and stuff when I was serving in Somalia and other places, going out of her way to cook things I like when Gail and I come visit - I think I'm her 'favorite' but shhhh...don't tell her kids   (j/k, of course!) - and I love her to death for it.  My FIL, for him I have the greatest respect, not only as a WWII veteran and a member of the 'Greatest Generation", but also because of the man he is, an honorable, decent, righteous family man, true to his word. He also tells some pretty good stories!    Love this guy!    No way I was going to not be there for his 90th!  I got very lucky in my parents-in-law and my brother-in-law, and my sisters-in-law.  They always make me feel welcome, and always just let me be who I am, even if we have opposing viewpoints at times - and what family doesn't?  We may not agree all the time, but I think we have a mutual respect for everyone being entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, and over the years as I've gotten to know them somewhat, I feel very comfortable with Gail's family, talking with them, being with them.

And, of course, I owe the most to  my MIL and FIL who gave me the greatest gift of my life for which I shall be ever thankful:  their daughter, Gail, who became and always will be the Love Of My Life.   I will always owe them for that!  30 years married this coming February!  I think we've done all right.

So thank you, "my family" for a very nice visit with y'all (that's Texas talk I try to keep teaching them but they're not buying into it ) , always making me feel at home and always letting me 'be myself" when I visit.  Hope to see 'y'all' again soon.  But...in WARMER weather next time, okay? 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Little Blue

Awww, Scottie, that's sweet.  What a nice trip, even with the cold.  Looks like a beautiful place to run.  And the cherry on top is your relationship with Gail's family.  (I feel the same way about my ILs.  Married almost 28 years, love them to pieces.)

Docket_Rocket

Very nice report, Scotty.  And thanks for sharing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Very nice, Scotty.  Smile  Enough mushiness there to make ya sick.  

<3

GinnyinPA

Sounds like a very good trip.  Family, friends, good food, and time to run some new routes.

Zelanie

Brr, sounds cold, even though I'm not used to Texas weather! Glad you got a little bit of snow while you were up here. Smile

I feel the same way about my inlaws. Sounds like a great visit!

B-Plus

Great report and wonderful photos! You're a lucky dog.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty, the only thing I can say is "Man that looks cold!" Well, I can also say it looks and sounds like you and Gail had a nice trip.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Very nice, Scotty.  Smile  Enough mushiness there to make ya sick.  

lol.  I clown around quite a lot, but Gail says I am just a big softie at heart, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

So are you a cold wimp? lol

I need to get out there one of these days.

tracilynn

Great RR. I feel the love 

~~~~~~~

Traci

Tar Heel Mom

kween

What a beautiful area that is. Your pictures are great. Glad you survived the cold.

I went from NC to Boise for Thanksgiving, but luckily it wasn't very cold there at the time.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.