Beginners and Beyond

Taking "Prude" to a New Level (Read 236 times)

Love the Half

A tennis star who posed nude for ESPN The Magazine's body issue has been dropped by a Catholic youth group in her native Poland.  I have seen the ESPN pics and none of them are explicit.  All celebrate athletic bodies.

Tennis Star Dropped

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

By acting in such a way, the Catholic Church as a whole is only hurting itself. They are losing people in the Western world. Time for them to adapt to a new society. There is nothing pervert about the human body, fat or thin, healthy or not. Nakedness is not necessarily about sexuality. I don't much like prudes. It's false humility in my opinion.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

Beating a dead horse.
        LRB

I always get a kick out of the comments that follow the story, like this one:

"Haha, maybe they had a problem with her holding 2 balls..."

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Beating a dead horse

#artbydmcbride

By acting in such a way, the Catholic Church as a whole is only hurting itself. They are losing people in the Western world. Time for them to adapt to a new society. There is nothing pervert about the human body, fat or thin, healthy or not. Nakedness is not necessarily about sexuality. I don't much like prudes. It's false humility in my opinion.

One Catholic youth group in Poland isn't the Catholic Church as a whole.

Lots of statues at the Vatican are completely nude!  Surprised

Runners run

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Lots of statues at the Vatican are completely nudeSurprised

Better the statues than the Pope, thank goodness....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

Lots of statues at the Vatican are completely nude!  Surprised

Maybe so. But I highly doubt that many Catholic groups, here or in Europe, would approve anyway... I could be wrong, I haven't been to church in many years...

happylily

Plus, I wonder if they would have dropped a Polish male athlete for the same "offence"...

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Such prudes, and yes the comments are a bit hilarious. And yes Lily it is double standard, you don't hear them complaining about the men in the mag but they're all over the women who are tastefully posed. The human body is a magnificent machine, and nothing shows that better than athletes - professional or not.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Actually the women are getting the better "deal" as they can gawk at the male nudies while us men have to endure the sausage fest.

Such a double standard against men.

You people have issues 

happylily

Actually the women are getting the better "deal" as they can gawk at the male nudies while us men have to endure the sausage fest.

Such a double standard against men.

As if there were no female nudity on TV and other medium. :-) Of course, the depraved females will end up in hell, while the men who gawk will be sitting in heaven...

To me this thread could have been titled of "In the least surprising news of the day".

Dave

happylily

To me this thread could have been titled of "In the least surprising news of the day".

+1

Not sure why I even commented...

Will run for scenery.

Maybe if she squeezed harder on those balls she could get picked up by a Polish feminist group.

I always get a kick out of the comments that follow the story, like this one:

"Haha, maybe they had a problem with her holding 2 balls..."

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!