Beginners and Beyond

Mobile Monday Penguins (Read 22 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

It's Monday, and I'm hoping for a very productive day.

Less than 2 weeks until the Oak Barrel Half, and I will need to figure out my pace soon.  My weight has been going in the right direction, and my legs feel good.  I don't see any reason to be too aggressive on my taper.  I feel like dropping my easy pace last week made a huge difference.  During my long run, I took a 10 minute pace and threw in 3 x 12 minutes at an 8 minute pace.  It felt great, and I never felt like I was struggling.  Even though it was a treadmill workout, my hill workout last week included over 700 feet of elevation gain.  I've also gotten in more outdoor miles in the last couple of week.  All of this is really helping my confidence, and I feel like I may have been over training a bit in previous weeks.  My mileage wasn't too high, but I was averaging 8:30-8:45 for my easy pace.  I never really thought about it when I was doing it, but that's probably a bit way too fast for someone with a 23:36 5K and a 1:46 HM.  I think this tweak may pay off big on April 5th.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Back from Puerto Rico where I paced hubby on his third half marathon as my first post surgery race.  We had tons of fun.  RR sometime this week.

Today, I go to the surgeon for the final follow up and then work.  6 miles or a bike ride tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dad on the run.

Hello everyone. 23 miles last week. It should have been 30 but yesterday was a lot busier than expected so I took another RD. 7 planned tonight and 27 for the week. This will be my first ever 100 mile month.

Also got Lucas' room painted. Now we are just waiting for his baby bed to come in so we can get it decorated! It's star wars themed and it's going to look awesome.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

From the Internet.

5.25 miles with some baby hills in the freezing cold and dark. I didn't even want to know how cold it was so I didn't check the temperature, all I know is that my thighs were still red half an hour after I finished running even with thermal tights on. I'm finally thawed out a little, so time to get off my butt and go to work! Have a good Monday, everyone!

Awood - glad you're feeling confident, can't wait to see how you do!

D - ooh fun! Waiting patiently for the RR Smile

Jimmy - you must post pictures of the room when it's done!! Big grin Early congrats on the first 100 mile month! I'm not going to hit 100 this month but I will be closer than I've ever been - already over last month's mileage with a week to go, I should break 90 if all goes well.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!! My Roll Recovery thingy is on a UPS truck out for delivery, so I'll be able to try it out tonight and see how it goes. I am pinning high hopes for better MOBILITY on this thing! But my knee has been feeling better lately, possibly because I restarted some of the PT exercises, so that's all good. I have competition in less than three weeks, and my only goal is to be able to ignore my knee on stage when I'm singing and dancing in heels. Ok, so it's kind of a lofty goal, but it's all good. Too cold for a walk today, and it's supposed to snow again tomorrow. Blech!

Awood -- sounds like you're shaping up for a great race!!

Docket -- good luck at the doc, and have a good whatever tonight!!

jblack -- Star Wars, sounds awesome!!

Lauren -- yep, way frigid and windy!! Glad you got thawed out!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bin Running

Hi guys. Back from hongkong and had fun. Went Disneyland with the kids and some sight seeing with my folks. Did a10k and got a PR. Running abt 8deg below my usual temp seem to have some helps. Only ran on Monday and was walking everyday there. Spent the whole day at Disneyland before the run.

Sad news, they have confirmed the plane ended its journey in Indian Ocean. Major debris has been spotted and recovery of them is in progress.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Awood, I think you will do well in the Oak Barrel, looks like your training is going fairly well for all that you deal with.

Docket, enjoy the bike ride. Still can't believe you did a half so soon after surgery.

Jimmy, congrats on hitting the 100 mile month, that is a big milestone! I can't wait to see/meet the little one.

Lauren, I think Bama had some of that cold air too, it was 37 for my morning hill run with friends.

Hope, I would consider dancing in heels as cross training. I hope your roll thingy helps with the knee issues.

AFM, just finished a 5.5 mile hill run with 6 friends that are also doing the Oak Barrel. I'll be taking a nap here shortly for night shift this week. I also will run a few easy miles with our new NOBO group later this evening.

For those that did see it yesterday, here's what I posted in Sunday's thread.

Saturday morning, my employer(Nucor), put on it's inaugural 5K Hero Dash. To sum things up, it was a huge success! Here's a link to an article in Sunday's paper. If you watch the video(it's real short), I'm in the green shirt with the gray fuzzy stuff on my chin at the start line. I didn't run because I was kind of in charge of the timing. There were 5-6 of us on the "board" in getting this set up. I will have to say, that aside from racing, then to volunteer, being a co-race director and on the board to plan an event like this, takes a whole lot of work! We had a 7 month timeline in getting all this done, but we crammed it all into a little less than 3 months. Here's just a few things that you have to get done, and in no particular order; city permits, police, ordering t-shirts, getting sponsors, getting door prizes, recruiting volunteers, ordering finisher medals, bananas, water, Gatorade, post race planning, cleanup, setup, timing company, building the race in computer, assigning all the chips, packet stuffing, etc.

Some of the ladies that don't run, that are on our Relay For Life committee, had big doubts about this event, but me and Kelly(runner friend and coworker), showed them how us runners can make it work.

http://www.decaturdaily.com/news/article_2ff9fa16-b210-11e3-9fd3-0017a43b2370.html

hog4life

Hi guys. Back from hongkong and had fun. Went Disneyland with the kids and some sight seeing with my folks. Did a10k and got a PR. Running abt 8deg below my usual temp seem to have some helps. Only ran on Monday and was walking everyday there. Spent the whole day at Disneyland before the run.

Sad news, they have confirmed the plane ended its journey in Indian Ocean. Major debris has been spotted and recovery of them is in progress.

Congrats Bin!

Zelanie

Hey pens.  Waiting around to try to get in to the Blerch race before I head out for 9 this AM.  Then it's a busy day trying to tackle the list of things I want to get done over spring break.

Awood- I'll be rooting for you. Smile

D- You are doing awesome!  So glad to see you able to get right back into things!

jimmy- Congrats on the 100-mile month!

Lauren- Nice job getting out there into the cold!

HsM- I hope the massager works wonders, especially when combined with the PT exercises.

Bin- Congrats on the PR and on the fantastic vacation!

Mitch- That's a great article and video. Congrats!  Hope night shift goes OK this week.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats, Bin!

Add core work and pushups to tonight's workout because I HAVE BEEN CLEARED!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Woohoo, Damaris!

Philliefan33

That's good news, DR.  No more slacking for you!

I'll run something tonight -- probably 4-5 miles.  I think it's cold out (I don't see the outside at all when I'm at work )

Docket_Rocket

In my defense, I tried writing an RR but the pictures won't show and the links with Garmin won't work because of the stupid browser here at the office.  So, you'll have to wait until tonight to see if I can write it all at once.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me today.  Was off Friday and had a lot of catch-up work to do today!

Saturday, I did a 5K that had a GIANT hill (200-ft vertical climb).  I did walk in this 5K a bit more than I usually do in a 5K and that flippin' hill did take a toll on me.

Report and photos:   https://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/Post/b2253a8598de4a6e8e03e62ddeb392a4#focus

Sunday I went to Lackland Air Force Base and did a run/walk for 50:03 minutes - which turned out to be 4.4 miles for me at my slow, easy pace.  The weather was crazy.  Overnight Saturday, the temp dropped into the low 50s, by Sunday morning when I ran it was about 49 degrees and the wind was blowing in gusts of 25 - 30 mph, dang!   I made the mistake of going up-over-and-across one of the pedestrian ramp overpasses to get from one side to the other and, oh my gosh, the wind at the top of that ramp!  Thank goodness for the safety fences, I felt like I was going to be blown right off of there!   Was so glad to get down on the other side!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt