Beginners and Beyond

Shoes mileage (Read 104 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Will a light, slow runner get more mileage out of shoe than a heavy, fast runner?

MI_Tim

Wait a minute.  You guys wear shoes?

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I had to retire my Nike Lunarglides at less than 200 miles. They were worn down badly in the outer heel area. I now rotate between 3 pairs of shoes ... 2 Mizuno Wave Inspire 9s and one Elixir 8. I have no idea how many miles are on each... I haven't really thought of keeping track....do you all have special logs for each shoe?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Philliefan33

I had to replace my first pair of running shoes after about 500 miles.  I now rotate through four pairs -- two pairs get the most frequent use, one pair is nearing the end of life and gets used occasionally on shorter runs, and the last pair only has about 100 miles on it but just doesn't feel right.  I give it a try every once in a while but I don't think I like the shoe (it's a different brand than the others -- it might not be the correct kind of shoe for me).

Will a light, slow runner get more mileage out of shoe than a heavy, fast runner?

I don't know if speed has anything to do with it, but the heavier the runner the more stress put on the midsole with every step.  It's physics -- a 240 lb runner will compress the midsole more than a 130 lb runner.  The more compression, the harder it is for the midsole to recover.

Philliefan33

I had to retire my Nike Lunarglides at less than 200 miles. They were worn down badly in the outer heel area. I now rotate between 3 pairs of shoes ... 2 Mizuno Wave Inspire 9s and one Elixir 8. I have no idea how many miles are on each... I haven't really thought of keeping track....do you all have special logs for each shoe?

Kristin, you can keep track on the RA log that you are already using.  Add each pair of shoes in the "Equipment" tab.  Then when you log your run, select the shoes you wore.

nolamama

CQTM

Kristin, you can keep track on the RA log that you are already using.  Add each pair of shoes in the "Equipment" tab.  Then when you log your run, select the shoes you wore.

This is very helpful. Thanks Smile

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

If it wasn't for the RA Equipment function, I'd never have any idea of how many miles I truly put on my shoes since I have 6 in the rotation.

Roclites @ 77.3

Wave Universe 4's @ 57.6

NB890v2's @ 585

North Face Hayasas @ 407

Red Kinvara 3's @ 363

Green Kinvara 3's @ 555

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

B-Plus

It varies. My last 3 retired pairs:

Asics Bandito - 349

Mizuno Precision - 609

Mizuno Elixir - 487

Docket_Rocket

Me either! I was using a spreadsheet prior to that but sometimes I forgot to add the miles for a couple of days.  So the log is the best for that.

If it wasn't for the RA Equipment function, I'd never have any idea of how many miles I truly put on my shoes since I have 6 in the rotation.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

It has taken me three years to find a rotation that does not give me any problems, so the verdict is still out on when I should retire them.  Ideally though, it will be before any problems occur, as minor problems can sometimes become major ones.

My easy runs shoes (Kayano 19's) has 450 miles on them, and my racing/speed work ones (DST 18's) around 190.  Judging by the wear on both, I would think I will be replacing the former within 100 miles, and the latter within 200.

By the way, + 1 on the mileage tracker here.  I used to write miles down on a calendar, which was extremely tedious and very unreliable.  I have a love affair with the log on this site, and cannot see myself using any other for any reason.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Myself as well.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

B-Plus

Myself as well.

I would probably resort to running barefoot.