Beginners and Beyond

Thursday's Penguin Parade (Read 24 times)

Docket_Rocket

Hey penguins. Got My car back last night.

Been reading comments about all the Yankees making fun of us. I find it pretty distasteful to be honest. For the record I never panicked. I had no issue driving my car all the way home but after sitting in my car for 2 hours and not moving after taking 4 hours to even get to that point I was ready to be home. I figured I could get home quicker on foot.

Also it takes about 2 hours to drive from here to Atlanta and it took a friend of mine 28hrs to get home. That's not his fault nor make him an idiot. It's all the other drivers, mainly the 18 wheelers that think they can drive 70 on ice that has caused most of the major traffic delays...

Sorry to rant but you will never hear me poke fun of people who are having to deal with things they are not accustomed to or prepared for. Let the northerners have a 105 degree day with 75+ humidity and see how they can handle that.

It's all about what you are accustomed to and this kind of weather is very very rare for us.

Exactly!  Anyway, remember, they don't know what to do when a hurricane comes around.  Same thing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Crazy morning at work, just now getting to read the forum stuff.  Thankfully, I am getting off work early, leaving in about another 20 minutes or so, yay!  Will be going out to Lackland Air Force base for an appointment, followed by an easy run, probably around 3 miles, let the legs relax a little after my last night's outing of 3.5 miles of hills, hills, and more hills, at Fort Sam Houston.  Weather was nice after work, sunny and about 46 degrees, but a bit of a chill in the air with a stiff wind of 15 - 20 mph blowing.  Today, it is cloudy but warmer - 51 degrees right now - and very light wind, nice.

Congrats on your 8, Zelanie.

Good luck with the recovery miles, Damaris.  Did you run yesterday too?

Happy tempo miles later, Mitch.  Are you still on nights?  You have a tattooed ring, Mitch?  I wonder where you put that one....

Hope you can find something on the track to help you enjoy the run there, Jack.

Stay safe out there, HsM!

Hope you feel better, Kristin.  Keep the kleenex close at hand.

You are getting in some good quality running, Awood!

Jimmy, unfortunately, the internet can't show "tone".  I bet if  you could actually hear the folks making those comments, you would find that - altho there are a few a-holes around of course who are serious about it - probably the majority are done in a gently teasing manner. I know I'm guilty of that myself in the summer when - as you said - we have to deal with those high temps -  and I poke fun at some of my northern neighbors who don't have to deal with it. Just like they poke fun at me for my "cold" temps here in San Antonio.   Don't let it get to you.

Ginny, glad you and your DH found the ring.  Though I'm sure even without the ring, he'd still consider himself married to you.    Glad you found that special symbol of your special union.

getting documents in order for kindergarten apps/income taxes.  Wow, Lauren, kindergarten kids have to pay income taxes too?  That darn IRS really is getting tough!     Awww, poor kitty...how it she going to eat with no teeth?  Lots of soft food, I suppose. I can relate, I'll probably be there in a few years myself, as old as I'm getting.  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jblack -We get the 100+ temps with 100% humidity too.  I've only seen a couple of memes about situation down there now, but I've seen just as much concern.  I don't think anybody expected the road crews down there to keep the roads passable, or for people to be able to drive on ice.  We are used to it, and still issued a travel ban for several days recently (salt doesn't work at -15).  The joke up here is that some companies try to stay open.  I had a friend post a picture of another friend's car sitting on top of a 15 ft snow bank.  She probably should have been home.  We made jokes.  Around here, if you don't get hurt people are going to joke about you getting stuck.  It's like hitting a dear.  The boss gets it.  It's not your fault.  It's just your turn.  I'm glad you're okay, but just know that most people aren't trying to be dicks.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Jblack -We get the 100+ temps with 100% humidity too.  I've only seen a couple of memes about situation down there now, but I've seen just as much concern.  I don't think anybody expected the road crews down there to keep the roads passable, or for people to be able to drive on ice.  We are used to it, and still issued a travel ban for several days recently (salt doesn't work at -15).  The joke up here is that some companies try to stay open.  I had a friend post a picture of another friend's car sitting on top of a 15 ft snow bank.  She probably should have been home.  We made jokes.  Around here, if you don't get hurt people are going to joke about you getting stuck.  It's like hitting a dear.  The boss gets it.  It's not your fault.  It's just your turn.  I'm glad you're okay, but just know that most people aren't trying to be dicks.

But not for 7 months! 

I was surprised how in tune Chicago was.  Within 2 hours of snowing, they had cleared all the roads while I was there.  Like magic.  I went into the theater to watch a movie and came out to clear roads.  That's the way to do it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Glad you and car are okay, Jimmy.  That was a huge mess.  Hope you never have to go through that again.

Weekend started with SRD.  On our way to see Her with Joaquin Phoenix.  I wonder if it's ok to talk to Siri  during the movie???

Have a great weekend !!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Oh yeah.  We can clear snow up here all day long.  Our only problem is heavy snow mixed with sub-zero temps.  The we are just clearing snow and exposing ice or snow-pack.  I used to drive a plow/salt truck.  Ice is the great equilizer.  If you can't melt it, stay home or plan on a long, slow, danger drive.

But not for 7 months! 

I was surprised how in tune Chicago was.  Within 2 hours of snowing, they had cleared all the roads while I was there.  Like magic.  I went into the theater to watch a movie and came out to clear roads.  That's the way to do it.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

SheCan

kristin-- hope you get well soon!

Jimmy-- I must live in a vacuum; I hadn't heard any one making fun of what y'all went through.  Personally, I thought it sounded quite awful.

Ginny-- what fortunate news!  So glad y'all found it.  Its so easy to lose things like that and never see them again.

Jerry-- I haven't seen Her yet, but my daughter did, and she said it was quite explicit/ raunchy at the beginning of the movie.

I'm excited.  I finished my 20 m LR today with no problems, so I went ahead and signed up for the marathon for Feb 16.  I won't be racing it, but at least I should be able to finish it.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Cherie - good news.  I hope you'll do a race report on Lost Dutchman.  It's one I want to do someday.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

She Can - You're doing awesome.

Mitch - I've been looking at getting my wedding band tattooed on.  Same situation.  I have to take it off for work a lot.

Jblack - I'm just curious.  Do you refer to people from the North as yankees because you think we're still fighting the civil war, or are you just talking about the people who said insensitive things?  Maybe you were just referring to Jeter, and A-Rod...lol  Again, glad you're safe.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

hog4life

kristin-- hope you get well soon!

Jimmy-- I must live in a vacuum; I hadn't heard any one making fun of what y'all went through.  Personally, I thought it sounded quite awful.

Ginny-- what fortunate news!  So glad y'all found it.  Its so easy to lose things like that and never see them again.

Jerry-- I haven't seen Her yet, but my daughter did, and she said it was quite explicit/ raunchy at the beginning of the movie.

I'm excited.  I finished my 20 m LR today with no problems, so I went ahead and signed up for the marathon for Feb 16.  I won't be racing it, but at least I should be able to finish it.

You are a running machine!

hog4life

She Can - You're doing awesome.

Mitch - I've been looking at getting my wedding band tattooed on.  Same situation.  I have to take it off for work a lot.

Jblack - I'm just curious.  Do you refer to people from the North as yankees because you think we're still fighting the civil war, or are you just talking about the people who said insensitive things?  Maybe you were just referring to Jeter, and A-Rod...lol  Again, glad you're safe.

I'm a yankee redneck! And proud of both of them, LOL.

on my way to badass

Hey penguins!

jblack- glad you got your car back.  Winter driving is a skill that is greatly assisted by snow tires.  No practice and no snow tires makes for a tough drive. That was a perfect storm of weather and government ineptitude.

DR- I do not handle heat or humidity well so I will avoid South Florida;-)

SheCan- Congrats on the Marathon registration!

AFM- It got up to 20 here today and I went out when it was 15F.  It was GREAT.  1 hill that I have been struggling with I did better on than ever before.  The 2 long-but-not-as-step hills on my route I didn't struggle on.  My time was slow but I felt better than I had in a couple of weeks.  I got some housework done too!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

SheCan

AFM- It got up to 20 here today and I went out when it was 15F.  It was GREAT.  1 hill that I have been struggling with I did better on than ever before.  The 2 long-but-not-as-step hills on my route I didn't struggle on.  My time was slow but I felt better than I had in a couple of weeks.  I got some housework done too!

Haha@ 15* feeling great!   Reminds me of when my DH sent the winter in Alaska.  Said he went out one morning and realized it was so warm, the wind wasn't blowing, and he probably didn't need a coat.  Then he checked the temperature and it was 9*.  You'll definitely get better on the hills the more you do them.  After a while you'll sometimes forget they're even there.

Thanks,  Mitch and SF.  :-)

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Cherie, A little weird and raunchy at times, but Joachim Phoenix is really good as is Scarlett Johansen as the OS.  A futuristic Love Story.