Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Fleet Feet Sunrise 5K and 10K (Read 37 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO: I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

Sunrise 5K was my 45th race of 2013.  There was also a 10K. Venue was Wheatley Sports Stadium, a sports complex in East San Antonio. We did not start quite at sunrise, but pretty close after, as we started at 7 a.m.  The early start time was much appreciated since it was hot. I left my house at 5:30 a.m. and as I drove to the stadium, saw  79 degrees on a local bank's time/temperature display.  79 degrees already...at 5:30 in the morning! Sheesh! It was around 82 degrees by the time we started at 7 a.m.   I ended up with a finish time of 36:30, good enough for 2nd in my age group...but there were only 3 in my age group, lol.  No matter, I'll take it...and collected another medal to donate to the cancer kids at the local children's hospital.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Umm, sit back and enjoy, cuz I got carried away with the photos, took over 80 of them!  I'd never been to this area before and it turned out our course was some really nice local paved trails, so took more on-course photos than I usually do at my races.  Which probably did not do much for my finish time, lol, but what the heck, I had fun. I accomplished my major goal anyway:  finish before sunset. Joking

Before The Start

Since the start time was 7 a.m., when I got to the start/finish area it was still somewhat dark as I wandered around taking photos of participants, volunteers, and supporters.

Start/finish area was on the stadium track

This lady in the below photo is wearing the tech tee all we participants got

This lovely lady was our race MC and announcer for pre-start, awards, etc.

Start area, getting ready to go...

On The Course

We did about a half-lap around the track, exited through a gate, ran on the stadium roads for a very short bit, then turned onto a really nice and shady paved running trail, which is part of the Leon Creek Greenway trail system that San Antonio has been building and adding to for the last several years, gradually connecting all the different trails to each other.  We now have a really nice system of trails in San Antonio on which you can go a very long way.

Heading toward the turn-around point

5K Turn-Around

I'm now heading back toward the stadium

Turn up ahead - by that white sign on the right - and we will be back on the stadium roads and heading for the finish.

After The Race

The guy that won the 5K finished in 18-something.  I finished in 36:30 chip time, and the guy who won the 10K came in just after me, finishing in 37-something, sheesh! I got some water, did a cool-down walk-about and then got some "Happy Finisher" photos, and some of volunteers and supporters.

My friend, Bernadette; she finished first in her age group.

This lovely lady was taking photos of all the Age Group winners.  The award ceremony was held out on the astroturf of the stadium football field.

My strategy is not to be faster than my competition, but to outlive them. Big grin Either that, or be in  a race like this one where there are only 3 in my age group.  Enjoying my medal before I donate it to the cancer kids.

These two running friends of mine have started recently running again after coming back from injuries...and even injured they are still faster than me, lol.

EPILOG

A very nice event on a really nice course. I've lived in San Antonio 19 years now and never knew this stadium was here.  So another local running route option for me, to add to the 100 or so San Antonio area routes I've already 'discovered" since moving here in 1994.  I'm sure there are still more routes too that I have not  yet discovered.  One nice thing about San Antonio running routes, we have lots of options!  This was the first year this race has been at this venue and I hope they keep it here in the future, like this route much better than the previous one they have used in the past.

Kudos to:  our hosts of this race, Fleet Feet San Antonio; timing and race set-up folks iaapweb.com; all our sponsors; and all the volunteers and organizers it took to get this all together.   Definitely would do this event again.

Next up: Loteria 5K on Aug 10.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Don't call me Buttercup!

Thanks for sharing!

I love that you give your medals to kids.  You rock. =)

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

hog4life

Congrats on #45 and the AG place.

GinnyinPA

It looks like a really nice place to run.  Is it close enough that you could run there more often?  Thanks for the RR.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It looks like a really nice place to run.  Is it close enough that you could run there more often?  Thanks for the RR.

Very close, only about a 20 minute drive from my house.  Which just flabbergasts me, lol, that I have not found this place before in the 19 years I've lived here.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

What do you say to get such big smiles, Scott?  Must be more than just "Cheeeeese"  Big grin

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Cool course, and another nice AG award.  I'm getting to where I recognize runners in your photos from past events that you ran.  If I ever do make it down there to run a race with you, I'm going to feel like I know everybody...lol  The funny part is that I don't know that many runners in my own area.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

SheCan

Looks like a really nice race, though I can't believe it was 82* at 7:00.  Glad y'all were able to start early for it at least.  San Antonio is lucky to have such lovely trail options.  Congratulations to you and Bernadette!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Great report and photos! Congrats on the AG award, so cool that you donate your medals to kids wuth cancer!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to