Beginners and Beyond

New murder capital in the U.S. (Read 113 times)

So, do you click on an article with this headline to find out if your city is the new capital? I did.

Hallelujah, it wasn't Detroit. It was Chicago, recording more homicides than any city in the U.S., overtaking New York City.

Then in the third paragraph:

"But residents of Chicago and New York were much less likely to be victims of a homicide than residents of Flint, Mich. Sixty-three murders occurred in 2012 in Flint, a city of 101,632, meaning one in every 1,613 city residents were homicide victims. Detroit, which experienced 386 homicides in 2012, was almost as unsafe; that’s enough murders to account for one in every 1,832 residents." 

CryCry

Full article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/09/18/fbi-chicago-passes-new-york-as-murder-capital-of-u-s/

Hip Redux

I know this is a serious topic, but your post made me think of this Cleveland "tourism ad" - at least we're not Detroit!

LRB

Hallelujah, it wasn't Detroit.

My first thought when I saw it, however, Chicago or any other city can rank # 1 for ten years straight but Detroit will always be the de facto #1.

The level of respect for life in our country in general is pathetic.  It is the sole reason I do not watch the news.  They bombard you with story after story of senseless deaths, and the internet is worse.

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

I wonder if they did a study of where in the city these murders occurred. I'm willing to bet the majority were on the south side. Just last night thirteen people were shot at a basketball court, including a three year old. The police say it may have been gang related. Gee, you think?

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

LRB

....including a three year old.

That's just it; the ridiculousness happens everywhere regardless of your biggest city's ranking.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

My grandmother only watches the local news - no cnn etc

This is very timely because today she told me it was Hartford, CT (based on her observation of the news).  "It's worse than New Haven" she said.

#artbydmcbride

If only all 3 year olds had guns to defend themselves.....

Runners run

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I have customers on the South Side, and there is a limited window of time during the day when they will allow me to come see them for this exact reason.

I wonder if they did a study of where in the city these murders occurred. I'm willing to bet the majority were on the south side. Just last night thirteen people were shot at a basketball court, including a three year old. The police say it may have been gang related. Gee, you think?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Love the Half

In a random observation barely related to this thread, U.S. Route 41 running south from Chicago is called "Indianapolis Blvd."  U.S. 41 runs to Terrre Haute.  It doesn't come near Indianapolis.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

In a random observation barely related to this thread, U.S. Route 41 running south from Chicago is called "Indianapolis Blvd."  U.S. 41 runs to Terrre Haute.  It doesn't come near Indianapolis.

Hmm, South Buffalo has lots of streets named for cities and states.  Ohio, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, Chicago, Miami.  None of them go to those places.  Also, I live in Holland, about 15 miles from Boston, NY.  If Canada ever invades, we'll leave the street and town signs up to confuse them. Big grin

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I deal with it by fast forwarding through the first 15 minutes of the news.

Docket_Rocket

For a moment, I seriously expected it to be Miami since we suck at everything else.  Hasn't Chicago topped the list before?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

No, you are probably thinking of City of Chicago aldermen in prison.