Beginners and Beyond

Garmin works, but the screen is blank? (Read 194 times)

kitteh

K, Last night before my run I went to get my 305 to set it in the window while it synched up with satellites, and although it beeped as normal when I turned it on, the screen stayed blank. I tried turning it on and off a few times (and I could recognize when it was turning on or off based on the type of beeping) but the screen stayed blank. I also tried to do a soft reset, but if it did anything it certainly didn't solve the screen issue. I tried fooling around with the buttons and could tell by the various beeps that it was still able to start and stop the timer, and clear the previous run when I held the lap button (it's funny how well I can navigate it so well by now, simply by listening to the beeps.) 

So I decided to take it on my run anyhow, and the screen stayed blank. However, the backlight light up at every mile mark, and the auto-lap beep sounded. And sure enough, when I got home and synched it up with Garmin Connect, it had recorded my run just fine. I don't think there has been any sort of damage to the watch, no falls or water submersion or anything like that which might explain the blank screen.

I've tried googling this issue and nothing regarding my specific issue comes up. Most people who have a blank screen also have a dead or otherwise unresponsive Garmin. I guess I'm just going to have to contact Garmin directly, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience? It's definitely not under warranty anymore, so I'm hoping there is a cheap fix. My HM is in 5 weeks and I'm really hoping to have a fully functioning watch by then!

Running for two!

Pre-Preggo PRs--5k 23:00, 10k 49:07, HM 1:57:40

Post-Preggo PRs--5k TBD, 10k 54:45, HM 2:28:05

zozoretro

Both dh and I are owners of Garmin 305s that are getting a bit "long in the tooth". His died recently, and he called Garmin and learned that for $79 (which I realize isn't exactly a cheap fix but it is cheaper than a new watch) they will send you a new-to-you factory reconditioned 305 if you send back your old one. He did the exchange and has been happy since. Apparently, this is an offer they make to anyone with a watch that breaks past its warranty. So you might call them and check into that. Good luck!

SusanRachel

I would try googling hard and soft resets.  There are two types.  The hard will wipe out all of the data on your watch, so be sure it has all been uploaded first, but then try that.  If that doesn't work, call Garmin tech support.  The $79 thing (I've done that once) is not a bad deal.

kitteh

I've tried both resets and no dice Sad I guess "refurbished Garmin" is now on my Christmas list. Any idea roughly how long the turnaround takes? My half marathon is in about a month!

Running for two!

Weezer88

I've sent my Forerunner 305 in twice to Garmin (Olathe, KS) and they can usually get it back to you in a week or less.  However, I believe there is a quicker way where they will take your CC number and ship a replacement to you right away and you ship the 'broken' one back to them.  They put a charge on your account until they receive your watch.

I AM WEEZER.

The same thing happened to mine and after a year of good intentions to send it back to Garmin for a refurb'd one, I just ended up buying a new FR10 (smaller, more suitable for me, albeit a bit more expensive ($129).  Garmin's idea is pretty good, as I am sure that they take your old 'case', tune-up, replace, etc. the guts, then re-sell to someone else, maybe even your old watch back to you.  Consider it a $79 tune-up.  Good luck.

kitteh

Update, if anyone cares.

I called Garmin to see what my options were. I bought the watch in August 2011 (for $130!) on Amazon, so I figured I was just out of warranty range. But the guy surprised me by saying he'd have it fixed for free! I actually opted to have them ship me out a replacement watch first and then I'm shipping mine back when I get the "new" watch, just so that I don't have to do any runs without a watch. (Stupid, maybe, but I rely on the thing for recording purposes)

It's a Christmas Miracle! Cool

Running for two!

kettledrum

That is great news that Garmin took care of you.   Thanks for the update.  Smile

Supersono99

Update, if anyone cares.

I called Garmin to see what my options were. I bought the watch in August 2011 (for $130!) on Amazon, so I figured I was just out of warranty range. But the guy surprised me by saying he'd have it fixed for free! I actually opted to have them ship me out a replacement watch first and then I'm shipping mine back when I get the "new" watch, just so that I don't have to do any runs without a watch. (Stupid, maybe, but I rely on the thing for recording purposes)

That's great. Good customer service seems so rare these days, although I think running providers are at the top of the quality providers lIst. 

Docket_Rocket

Update, if anyone cares.

Good news.  I was going to ask how old was this Garmin, but it sounds like it was fairly new.  Glad you're getting it fixed.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page