Beginners and Beyond

Luck of the Irish 10k RR (Read 53 times)

Nevrgivup

Wow! With those conditions, the course, and it being your first tune-up race, you did amazing!!! You are going to kick this time to the curb with any future races. Good luck with the marathon training and upcoming marathon.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

BruceD555

happylily- Who are you kidding, from reading your posts you're at least as hard-headed as me - you would have ran it and probably finished first in AG. WOW, I appreciate the kind words but I'm not sure I'm quite yet to the sub 43 10k. This training cycle has really given me a boost to my speed, but I'm hoping by my fall marathons I'm at your guesstimate pace for the 10k.

LRB- Nope, those aren't mountains. I remember somebody (I think from Colorado) posting the elevation profile from  their training route and those were real mountains on their hill repeats.

Docket_Rocket- Thanks but I think you just had quite the hill workout in LA, didn't you? I've been thoroughly amazed at how much stronger I feel through this training cycle and also nervously look forward to how that April FM turns out (hopefully the weather will cooperate)

onemile- Yep, it's Wisconsin. The 15k got to add one more loop so you would have definitely hated it by the end of the day.

Baboon- A agree, turnarounds bite! However, I read something once (maybe by Hall?) about giving 2-3 strong strides after a turn (or turnaround) to quickly get back on pace. I actually tried that on this course and it seems to have worked except at the 3 mile point - looking at my pace spike this was the one turn I remember that had congestion and I had to pull up to not kill myself or a couple of women ahead of me.

She Can- I've actually only ran one other 10k race (47:52) but that was last November - 3 weeks after my 2nd marathon in 7 weeks. My legs were almost recovered at that point and my pace was within 15 seconds to what McMillan says I should have hit (based on my FM time of 3:43).

Nevrgivup- Thanks for the kind words and I do look forward to eliminating this race from my PR memory ... and my actual memory as well. Wink

Train smart ... race smarter.

Mostly harmless

That was a really well run race in shall we say "less than ideal" conditions.  You rocked it! Congrats!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi