Beginners and Beyond

Help me plan my week (5k race this weekend) (Read 137 times)

@runjerseygirl

I have a 5k on Saturday, and this is my first race since I started incorporating longer runs into my week.  I just need to know how to plan for this week.

My normal week is:

Monday - 2-3 miles recovery

Tuesday - rest or 3 miles

Wednesday - 3 miles

Thursday - rest, spin class, or 3 miles

Friday - 4 miles

Saturday - definite rest day

Sunday - long run (currently 7 miles)

You'll notice that most days are 3 miles, this is because I run on my lunch break, and that is about all time will allow.  Now that I'm starting to increase my mileage, and hubby is going to the gym at night (at least for now, I hope it continues), I should be able to start running in the morning, which will allow me to get more miles in during the week.

I know that for this week, I won't run on Friday.  I'm just not really sure what to run for the rest of the week, and if I should I stick with my long run on Sunday.  I do plan on racing (ie. running faster than my normal pace), which I know will make a difference in deciding how to run for the rest of the week. What do you think?  

Also, this race is at 2:00 PM.  I've never run an afternoon race before.  How should I plan my day prior?  Food suggestions?

Thanks!

Do you even run?

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Here is what I would do:

Monday  - 2-3 miles

Tuesday - rest

Wednesday - 2 miles

Thursday - 2 miles with strides at the end

Friday - rest (me personally, I prefer to do a short shakeout run the day before a race, but it seems that resting works for you, so do that)

Saturday - race

Sunday - 3 miles recovery - no long run! You ran a hard effort the day before.

I have issues with reflux, so the afternoon and evening stuff has been horrible for me every single time. If you don't have problems with your stomach, I would just have a decent breakfast and a light lunch a couple of hours before the race. If you DO have stomach issues, just be very, very careful with what you eat during that lunch.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

If all your runs are done at an easy pace, I would suggest doing either some strides, fast finishes,or fartleks at what you would say is your 5k pace. This will get your legs "geared" up for your intended speed. I think right now your consistency and increased weekly mileage are by far going to give you your biggest performance boost on Saturday. Good luck!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Just don't do a Dizzy and run a race pace training run in the middle of the week.

LRB

Coming off of your longest long run, a lot of what you should do will be predicated on how your body feels. 

The suggestion of strides is a good one, but you mentioned some new aches (which is normal) in the dailies thread so you might want to wait until Wednesdays run for those.  Play that by ear.

I have never raced at 2:00, but I would say that is an advantage over the usual 8:00-9:00 am starts.  View it as such and gain the mental boost of knowing that you are racing at an ideal time, as opposed to dragging yourself out of bed then racing an hour later.

As for what to eat the day prior, that varies from person to person so it's difficult to say.  I avoid heavy sauces and dairy the day before a race, and just eat my usual moderate carb and fiber meals, being careful to limit the foods that have a high water content (lettuce, leafy greens,tomatoes, melons, oranges etc) as those can visit you at the most inopportune time on race day.

Good luck!

Love the Half

As someone who just ran a disappointing race off a longish week, I can say with a fair degree of certainty, "don't run your normal mileage."  Cut back somewhat to something like what has been suggested by Flippy.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).