Beginners and Beyond

Brits don't mince words on Gatlin beating Bolt... (Read 81 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

So I have no idea how I missed the race as I usually NEVER miss the diamond league events but I did.  I turned in the French Open only to find that Nadal had already made quick work of Ferrer.  But then I heard something about Bolt giving Nadal the trophy.  So I wanted to see if they had footage and ran into an article about Bolt enjoying the tennis match after his defeat a couple days earlier at the hands of.......and I quote....

"...drugs cheat Justin Gatlin in the 100metres..."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2338415/Usain-Bolt-enjoys-French-Open-final-shock-defeat-Justin-Gatlin--Pictures.html?ico=sport%5Eheadlines

I don't really care what they say about him but unless they have proof he's taking drugs in 2013, I would say that statement is a little misused, or at least slightly out of chronological context.

Anyway, it's just a column and like most media columns anymore, everything is an op-ed with little scrutiny available but it is clear to me that THIS particular writer will certainly not be expecting Justin Gatlin over for Thanksgiving dinner.

P.S.  Anybody know if/when Gatlin & Tyson Gay will meet up, if at all before Worlds?

Randy

Sloooow.

I just wanted to comment about the Daily Mail. It is a terribly trashy "newspaper" and the writers are generally awful. I don't know what happened, as it was a reputable mid-class newspaper when I lived over there.

Not all Brits are so tasteless Smile

I do like hearing news about the elites, so thank you for posting!

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

He served a four year ban for doping did he not?

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Yes. It had actually started as an 8 year ban, I believe. I don't necessarily think he's doping now (he'd have to be incredibly stupid) but because of his past history, I'm not a fan.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Indeed he did.

Randy

LRB

I like Bolt, and I saw the highlight.  I think the loss is good for the sport.  The next time these two line up it's gonna be a big deal.

As for the column, well, he did cheat.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

And while I don't care nearly as much about Gatlin as I do Gay, I wonder what the world might say ***IF*** it is, someday proven that the Jamaicans (Bolt, Blake, Powell) might have geared up with a little sumthin, sumthin at some point in the future. (Lance?)

Randy

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

And while I don't care nearly as much about Gatlin as I do Gay, I wonder what the world might say ***IF*** it is, someday proven that the Jamaicans (Bolt, Blake, Powell) might have geared up with a little sumthin, sumthin at some point in the future. (Lance?)

The fact of the matter is that it's been proven Gatlin used something. The same cannot be said about Bolt, therefore, I won't make assumptions. I do just think Bolt is a fun guy, he seems like a jokester and playful. I also like how he donated $50,000 to child earthquake victims in China after (or around the time of, not exactly sure) the Beijing Olympics.

LRB

I do just think Bolt is a fun guy, he seems like a jokester and playful.

He's a great showman and competitor who reminds me of Deion Sanders; he walks the walk.  For me, it's hard to hate on that.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

He's a great showman and competitor who reminds me of Deion Sanders; he walks the walk.  For me, it's hard to hate on that.

Growing up, I used to love Deion Sanders, LOL! My dad couldn't stand him and this appalled him. I love his rap video for "Must Be the Money."

LRB

Growing up, I used to love Deion Sanders, LOL! My dad couldn't stand him and this appalled him. I love his rap video for "Must Be the Money."

With Sanders, you either loved him or hated him, but no one can deny that he showed up in the biggest games on the biggest stage, hence his handle Prime Time.

That video was the corniest thing in the history of the music industry, yet I watched it every time it came on.  Your poor dad must still be shaking his head!

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

+1

The fact of the matter is that it's been proven Gatlin used something. The same cannot be said about Bolt, therefore, I won't make assumptions. I do just think Bolt is a fun guy, he seems like a jokester and playful. 

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

When I was in high school pretty much all athletes in the school did a summer camp "speed training" put on by the track coach (he also worked with local colleges...legitimate stuff).  The track coach's main principle to sprinting fast was creating "muscle memory" of running faster than you ever had before.  To achieve this we would do things like getting towed across the football field on a bungy cord by fast college football players...you're feet barely touched the ground.  Anyways, the point was that your body would adapt to handle the additional stretching, the fast turnover, and motor pathways necessary for running at an artificially fast speed.

Kind of round about but...

This is what I think about when I hear that someone was doping in the past, but isn't anymore.  Surely the doping has had some type of lasting effect...it would be tough to prove either way, but why give the cheater the benefit of the doubt?  Lifetime ban is the answer...current doping rules/procedures are not effective at identifying, preventing use, or keeping the cheaters out of the sport for good.

Anyways, I don't blame the paper for calling Gatlin a cheater and discrediting his win.  I blame Gatlin for that.

**Ask me about streaking**

catwhoorg

Labrat

Gatlin is a drugs cheat.

Convicted under the appropriate standards. That will always be the case, and is a statement of fact.

He may or may not be a current doper, but thats a different argument.

Bolt is probably doping (look at some of his contacts with dope suppliers).

In fact almost all elite sprinters are suspicious to my mind. Athletics has a serious dope problem, and it needs to be addressed better.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18