Beginners and Beyond

Find a small enough 5K and even *I* can place -- RR (Read 136 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats, way to go, Margo! And, umm, 29:10 is quite speedy to some of we REALLY slow folks!  Wink

Congrats to your DH too!

(His running days are dwindling due to arthritis in his hip)  Sorry to hear this.  There may be some things he can do to help, he might be able to extend his running years some.  As you know from my many posts, race reports, etc., I have spinal arthritis at 5 levels; also, I was born with dislocated hips and a spine defect - I was a March of Dimes baby and wore braces on my legs when I was younger.   Docs have told me all my life I'd eventually get arthritis in my spine and hips as I got older and that has happened, and I also have some hip degeneration.  Yet here I am, still doing my thing.   I can't run like I used to do, of course, when I was younger and still starting out.  But at least I am able to do some running.  I am SO thankful I am retired military, because I have great health care for minimal cost and my  military docs and PTs have really worked with me to keep me running cuz they know it's my passion.  With various types of strengthening exercises, massage, etc, your DH may be able to continue on.  He will eventually and most likely have to do run/walk method - like I finally had to - which does give some joint stress relief, but even so, at least he will still be able to get out there.   And at the worse case scenario, he may  possibly have to use an arthritis med (I am on the lowest dose possible of celebrex). Have him talk to his own doc for information, and also lots of good info on the Arthritis Foundation website.  Good luck to him!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Philliefan33

Scotty, I think DH is ready to let his running fall by the wayside. He ran to keep in shape and to pass his yearly fit test (he is retired law enforcement) but now that he doesn't have to run, and it makes him hurt for days afterward, it's not something he misses. He will turn 60 years old this year and keeps active and slender working in the woods and in the yard.  It's just a little sad that by the time I took up running he had to slow down.

Rondog65

Great report and congrats on placing 3rd!!  Wishing DH congrats on his retirement and thanks for his service.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats Margo.  Now you have to find a HM with 8 women.

Zelanie

Great strategy there!  Not only did you run it strong, you used your training and some good tactics to your advantage!  It sounds like a ton of fun, too!  Well-earned 3rd place!

B-Plus

Congrats on your placing. That's great that you had to opportunity to think of a strategy on how to get Melissa.

Brilliant

Congrats.  The line about coming in 64th made me laugh, as this is how all my races have gone so far.  "Look, I came in 31st, woohoo!"

Bin Running

Congrats, Margo.. You did great...

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Woohoo!  Congratulations on your great finish!  Way to use that hill to your advantage and stay strong through the end.  Don't diminish the accomplishment just because of the field.  You should be proud that your weekly and monthly training is enough to enable you to beat those other gals that don't put the work in that you do.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Congrats on 3rd, Phillie!

Small or large race, all you can do is race against who shows up to run.

This is one of the greatest lures of racing, IMO.  There are runners you may never beat.  There are runners who may never beat you.  But of the ones who run similar times, the race should be about topping THEM, more so than setting a PR.  And you got your marked lady, great job.

Supersono99

Awesome! I love that you originally planned a possible out of stopping at your house and then you ulteimately left hubby in your dust and placed! Great job, I really enjoyed reading your progression through that race!

Philliefan33

......and then you ulteimately left hubby in your dust and placed! 

Yeah, we're not talking about that. This March was the first time I kept up with him in a 5K, and Sunday was the first time I beat him.

Thanks everyone for your comments. It's nice to have a place to share my excitement for running stuff.