Beginners and Beyond

Crowded Nest Awareness Day Thursday Penguins (Read 24 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It's getting freakin' hot in Texas.  Today we will have a high of 99, with a heat index of about 101 to 103.  Gaack!    But that's okay...San Antonio folks are good at beating the Heat.  Just ask the Miami Heat. 

So glad I got my butt up and ran this morning instead of waiting until after work.  Last night after work I did an hour and 45 minutes of weight training so this morning was an easy-paced (about 11M per mile) run/walk of 3.1 miles.  My chosen route was started and finished at one of the 10 YMCAs  I have the option of using.  The one I used this morning is situated right in a very nice San Antonio park - O.P. Schnabel Park - that has paved park roads, paved off-road trails and natural off-road trails.  I did a combination of all three.  The only problem I had was when I was off trail and saw a few deer cautiously watching me go by.  I was cautiously watching them too - they tend to suddenly burst into a run and go bounding across the trails in front of people at times - and since I had my eye on them and wasn't paying attention, I whacked my head right into a low-hanging branch....owww...but not really hurt, so mostly....duhhhh.....    I swear, I think the deer were laughing at me.     Other than that - and aside from already being nearly 80 at 6 a.m. and over 90% humidity since it was trying to rain (utterly failed!  A little rain would've been refreshing) - it was a very nice outing.    After I got back to the Y, I took a very refreshing COLD shower, which felt great after that warm run.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

It's getting freakin' hot in Texas.  Today we will have a high of 99, with a heat index of about 101 to 103.  Gaack!    But that's okay...San Antonio folks are good at beating the Heat.  Just ask the Miami Heat. 

This made me laugh, being a Tim Duncan fan!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

The only problem I had was when I was off trail and saw a few deer cautiously watching me go by.  I was cautiously watching them too - they tend to suddenly burst into a run and go bounding across the trails in front of people at times - and since I had my eye on them and wasn't paying attention, I whacked my head right into a low-hanging branch....owww...but not really hurt, so mostly....duhhhh.....    I swear, I think the deer were laughing at me.   

And now I need a new keyboard! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Obie-- sorry you're having hamstring problems.  Hope you're doing better soon.

Zelanie-- you leaving to Costa Rica on the 22nd?

Docket-- I hope the rain cools things off for your 8 miles tonight.

Mitch-- sounds like you're doing great!   How often are you participating in the running club now?

Brillant-- Hi, and nice too meet you!  :-)  Awesome job on your hill run.

HsM-- wow, that does sound like an interesting morning.  Well, camping is great unless youre forced into it.  Hope your power is back now.

Jerry-- good job on the 3.  Glad to hear you're able to get the runs in with your DW.  Does that mean that your healing has been going perfectly?

Phillie-- they need to work fast!  You're already getting a good workout in.

Jack-- your DW is already looking forward to the next marathon?  Wow, that's great.  She's now hooked also!

Lurch- well enjoy your non-birthday, birthday lunch!  Haha@ you being the guest of honor anyway.  Well, maybe they just needed an excuse to celebrate something?  Good job on your run today.

LOL @ Crowded Nest Awareness Day!  As I was visiting many relatives for weeks and then had my mom come and stay for weeks, I am aware of how crowded a nest can feel without privacy.  My mom left yesterday, and although we had a very, very nice visit, I'm so happy to have my life back to normal.  Today, I actually had time to go over to the gym and use the treadmill.  I ran just over 5 miles and it felt so freaking long!  Gosh darnit, I'm so outta shape now.  Thank goodness though that I can start building up again.

I've missed y'all and hope to keep better caught up now.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I don't have a crowded nest either.  Just me, my spouse, and our 4 cats.   We can't have a crowded nest...the cats would eat the birds!

So sorry about your hamstring, obiebyke.  Maybe time for some pool-running for a while (it's nonimpact) till that puppy heals.

Wow, Zelanie, your school is not out till the 18th?  That seems like a long school year!  Our local rug-rats had their last day in the first week of June.   Have fun tonite at Club Six.

Hope the weather cooperates for you later for your MLR. Since you're doing TM tonite you can enjoy the San Antonio Spurs 'beating the heat" again tonite  (hopefully, knock on wood).

I'm with Bella, Mitch, lol.    Unless it's really super hot and then the rain hitting my head can be quite refreshing.  Have fun at your club fun runs tonite!

Late morning run for you, Brilliant.  Must be nice to sleep in for a bit.  Between the Texas heat and my work schedule, I have to get up at 4:30 a.m. - to 5 a.m. to get in a weekday morning run to beat the heat and get to work on time.   It's not hot where you are?  Congrats on the hills.

And so, HsM, the drama begins... Channel in, fellow viewers, to "Quarrelsome Quartet" to see how it all pans out...will New Coach be able to stand her ground?  How long will it take for HsM to 'clip' her? Will Director stay the course or suddenly change sides and join New Coach?  Will the quartet get desperate and pack new Coach off to the Sopranos for a 'long ride into the countryside' or to get fitted for a cement choral gown?  Stay tuned!

Nice on the 3, Jerry.  Hope the weather does behave for you for your LR.   Here in TX, we're pretty much set - hot, hot hot! - until mid September now.

Shoot, Lurch, it's a free lunch...enjoy!

SheCan!  You've been missed!  Welcome back.   Glad things are getting back to normal for you.  I'm sure you'll be back to your normal running self in no time.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

You guys remember all that snow we got last winter? That's why we are still in school.

Cherie, I leave one minute before the 22nd, 11:59 PM on the 21st. Smile

SheCan

SheCan!  You've been missed!  Welcome back.   Glad things are getting back to normal for you.  I'm sure you'll be back to your normal running self in no time.

Hugs to you, Scotty!  Thank you! 

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi Cherie.  How was your trip?  Knee is great. You can tell by the races I added to the avi.  Thanks for asking.

Glad you are entertaining the deer, Scotty (and us as well).

What's DD2 looking for, Margo?  Our DD2 is still contracting with Crain Communications.

Brilliant

Jack - no, I'm slumming it in north county!

Scotty - late?  I was out there at 6:15!  (my son is still getting up around 5, which usually wakes me up & keeps me up, ugh).  Sorry about your heat.  Love the story about the deer. Big grin

She Can - nice to meet you too!

Lurch - hope you had a nice b'day lunch. Smile

Jerry - hiya back.  I need a caption for my avatar; "bad ass" is taken, "on my way to bad ass" is taken, hmmm

Hopesmom - how creative to make your coffee & breakfast on the camp stove.

Docket_Rocket

It was 95F and 74 dewpoint at 6pm and I ran in that.  I do have a TM, I just forgot.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Hi Cherie.  How was your trip?  Knee is great. You can tell by the races I added to the avi.  Thanks for asking.

Glad you are entertaining the deer, Scotty (and us as well).

What's DD2 looking for, Margo?  Our DD2 is still contracting with Crain Communications.

She's a nurse. She would like to work in cardiac intensive care, but would probably take any position in one of the Philadelphia hospitals.

No bike ride for me. Turns out I was solo with the yard work because DH was working late and DD was in the process of cleaning herself up for a date. It will be yoga for me later tonight.

Brilliant

It was 95F and 74 dewpoint at 6pm and I ran in that.  I do have a TM, I just forgot.

That sounds bad.  Didn't you remember the TM after about mile 1? Wink

Docket_Rocket

That sounds bad.  Didn't you remember the TM after about mile 1? Wink

This still feels better than the TM.  But it's getting close.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page