Beginners and Beyond

Massage (Read 78 times)

Little Blue

Wow, $35/hour.  Around here the going rate is $1/minute.

I've been to a few different MTs, and mostly they won't do deep massage less than about 5 days before a race.  The best I can do is to go on Tuesday for a Sunday race.  I'll go if I have something nagging me that might impede my lightening pace.

RSX

My insurance is very chiro friendly 20 visits a year. Their office staff is great so I will look into that.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I only like massages with happy endings.

You people have issues 

LRB

While 35 bucks is technically not expensive, massages are but one expense of many with running and I have to find a balance between race entry fees, gas money for driving to do speed work on closed courses, nutrition, supplements and what not.

Add to it that deep tissue massages actually hurt, especially when it's the IT bands turn to join in on the fun (good Gawd almighty!) so while one before each race would be ideal (twice a month), once per month or every six weeks actually works just fine.

Now if I can get that subsidized by insurance that would be great.  I still don't see myself signing up for that torture once a week even then though!

bluerun

Super B****

While 35 bucks is technically not expensive, massages are but one expense of many with running and I have to find a balance between race entry fees, gas money for driving to do speed work on closed courses, nutrition, supplements and what not.

Add to it that deep tissue massages actually hurt, especially when it's the IT bands turn to join in on the fun (good Gawd almighty!) so while one before each race would be ideal (twice a month), once per month or every six weeks actually works just fine.

Now if I can get that subsidized by insurance that would be great.  I still don't see myself signing up for that torture once a week even then though!

Torture?... What torture?  (Oh, you mean the bruises on legs that are now so sore, it hurts to shave?  Yeah, maybe.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I like to get a massage about four or five days before a HM or marathon.  My guy really knows how to get the knots and lactic out of my calves and lower back/upper glute area.  He also give my ITBs a great stretch and when he is finished my legs feel like rubber.  If I don't have a race coming up I will still go for a massage every 8-10 weeks. He is $25 for about 30-40 minutes.  Sometimes it hurts like hell, but it sure feels good when it's over.

LRB

I came across this link and found it timely, loved this line in particular:

"The runners massage is no Zen experience.  The are no plush robes nor candlelit waiting rooms.  The classical music piped into the room is only there to drown out the soft whimpers of a runner who refuses to cry "Uncle."  And yes, it is a game of Uncle-only instead of being put in a headlock by your big brother, there's a grimacing Dick Butkus look-alike with his thumbs in your Achilles tendon."