Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks. Life throws curveballs. You just roll with it. I will most likely have to cut back some with the running and focus more on strength and core stuff initially but I'll survive. As much as I love running, its not the end of the world doing other things. I can swim and do the elliptical and I'll probably keep my runs to shorter distances. I need to look at the bigger picture and that is the everyday tasks that I want to be able to do in life. I don't want to keep having surgery or live a life always injured. Sad

I am so sorry Hilary to hear about your diagnosis. But I guess the bright side is that you have one. And now hopefully you will be out of pain. My thoughts are with you. I know you will get through this and come back stronger! My younger brother has chronic back issues stemming from a tumor he had on his L4 vertebrae that was compressing his spine, has had back surgery to remove the tumor, and currently also has a herniated disc due to the vertebrae being weakened. I have seen first hand how awful back issues can be and I am so glad that yours has a fix, and one that can happen as soon as Friday! I know recovery will be rough but you will be ok!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Nevrgivup

I am so sorry Hilary to hear about your diagnosis. But I guess the bright side is that you have one. And now hopefully you will be out of pain. My thoughts are with you. I know you will get through this and come back stronger! My younger brother has chronic back issues stemming from a tumor he had on his L4 vertebrae that was compressing his spine, has had back surgery to remove the tumor, and currently also has a herniated disc due to the vertebrae being weakened. I have seen first hand how awful back issues can be and I am so glad that yours has a fix, and one that can happen as soon as Friday! I know recovery will be rough but you will be ok!

Thanks Kristin! Yes back problems are not fun. My brother also had to go through two back surgeries. I just don't want to be in pain or worse taking pain meds the rest of my life. Being a nurse and seeing what we see with patients getting dependant on medication is very sad. My husband had to pretty much bed me to take the medicine tonight. I don't like taking medicine at all but its necessary in this situation. At least I can walk right after the surgery. I remember with my last one all the walking and elliptical I did. They recommend at least 3 miles a day to prevent scar tissue formation. I will not just sit around. On the bright side, I can focus on school. I will be out of work for about a month.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

No more marathons

((((((nevrgivup)))))))

Strange how much you can "feel" for someone you only know through these electronic connections.

Glad to hear you at least have a diagnosis now - and that the recovery starts soon.

Still hope that Boston works out for you - in one way or another.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Nevrgivup

((((((nevrgivup)))))))

Strange how much you can "feel" for someone you only know through these electronic connections.

Glad to hear you at least have a diagnosis now - and that the recovery starts soon.

Still hope that Boston works out for you - in one way or another.

Thank you!! I will be there volunteering. Hopefully on the course this time. I wouldn't miss it.

GinnyinPA

Hillary - I'm sorry you have to have surgery, but am happy that you have an answer and a way to get rid of the horrible pain you've been living with.

From the Internet.

Hillary - I'm sorry you have to have surgery, but am happy that you have an answer and a way to get rid of the horrible pain you've been living with.

+1. The diagnosis is a huge bummer, but much better than living in pain with no explanation.

AFM - joining the pity party, my left leg is giving me grief. Focal pain when I prod at a very specific point on my shin, but not in the "usual" location where I've had issues in the past, plus an achy/stiff calf muscle in the same area (think that may have been delayed muscle soreness from running up a fairly steep hill at the end of my 6 miler on Sunday). I woke up yesterday morning with my leg dangling off the bed at a weird angle thanks to my bed-hogging cat, so I'm really hoping I just bruised it from having pressure on that spot for an unknown period of time, but I'm mentally preparing myself for time off just in case. Giving it a few days to see if it's just a bruise and if it doesn't get better I'll be going to the orthopedic doctor to rule out a stress fracture.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Good but not so good news Hillary.  Get it fixed and then focus on strengthening your core.  As LRB well knows, the core is the key point for most of our daily motions, both lower and upper body.  Our physical make up is not designed for the sedentary life we have (walking and exercising is nothing like what our ancestors did on a daily basis) and we should strive to over come that imbalance.

Please stick around, you have lots to offer this community, I in particular enjoy your posts and your positive attitude.  Plus I really would like to follow your journey to this years Boston and beyond as it touches all of us in different ways.

Nevrgivup

Good but not so good news Hillary.  Get it fixed and then focus on strengthening your core.  As LRB well knows, the core is the key point for most of our daily motions, both lower and upper body.  Our physical make up is not designed for the sedentary life we have (walking and exercising is nothing like what our ancestors did on a daily basis) and we should strive to over come that imbalance.

Please stick around, you have lots to offer this community, I in particular enjoy your posts and your positive attitude.  Plus I really would like to follow your journey to this years Boston and beyond as it touches all of us in different ways.

Thanks guys! I will definitely be sticking around as I find great support here and I'm able to share my passion for running with those that understand. My thoughts have been all over the place in the last few days in regards to the fact that I will most likely be having to limit the amount that I run in the future. I will however, find other activities to keep me busy. I like swimming, don't mind the elliptical, will get a good core routine going and do what I can with doctors orders, and I am already planning on getting a bike this spring. I will also God willing be volunteering in Boston this April and many years to come. Running will always be a part of who I am even if it has to be limited. As mentioned previously, I can't risk another back injury. Once its broke, it never goes back to normal again and the pounding cannot be good for the discs. I'm slowly accepting that. The good thing is that I adapt to change fairly well. No shame in walking. Part of the rehab consists of daily walks so I look forward to that. Anything will be good to do compared to what I'm doing now.

Singer who runs a smidge

Many friends on FB know, but for those that are not my friends on FB, I reherniated my L5-S1 disc and will be going in to fix it this Friday. I had a microdisectomy in 2010 and it will be the same procedure. I am sick and anxious, but at least I know the cause of the pain and I can work towards getting better. I can't waste anymore time being in pain and my quality of life does not deserve to suffer. Beauty of it all is that I will be running again. Maybe a bit less but will be able to run. Will be paranoid to do anything but cannot sit back and watch my life go by because of fear.

I'm glad you have a diagnosis and a plan, and it sounds like you've got a pretty good attitude about it.  Until someone has experienced chronic pain for some time, they really don't understand what a wonderful thing it can be to be pain-free.  Hoping for good things for you!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Nevrgivup

I'm glad you have a diagnosis and a plan, and it sounds like you've got a pretty good attitude about it.  Until someone has experienced chronic pain for some time, they really don't understand what a wonderful thing it can be to be pain-free.  Hoping for good things for you!!

Thank you!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Well, to throw a little sunshine into this thead, I thought I'd post some miles at the finish of my week.....

I honestly can't remember exactly but I think I got in a meager 7 miles this week.  Which, coming from GOOSE EGG for the last couple months is pretty encouraging in my book.  I did that track work Saturday, then 3 miles Monday (my high since the knee) and then another 2 last night. (as I plan to hit the track again tomorrow a.m.)

On top of that, I put in about 20 miles on the bike in casual riding as I try to now balance the two. (doc's orders)

The seeds of doubt still fill my mind and I haven't stepped foot onto the asphalt yet as the doc likens asphalt vs treadmill to something like pirranha vs goldfish but I feel like I will eventually get there even if in a limited capacity going forward.

I'm thankful to be able to run at all as last night's run had flashes of "zoning out" that I remember enjoying.  If I could only ever run 7 miles a week on a rubber track or a treadmill for the rest of my life......I'm thankful!!!

Randy

Nevrgivup

Just got out of surgery. Recovery begins!

Redrum- That is so great to see that you've been active this week.

Guess athletes recover great. Came out of anesthesia without oxygen and I'm typing this from the recovery room. Smile

obiebyke

Redrum, that's awesome!

Hilary, you know you're a running dork when you're posting to RA from the recovery room.  I didn't realize you meant surgery was this Friday! That was fast! May your recovery be swift and you life now pain free.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Nevrgivup

Redrum, that's awesome!

Hilary, you know you're a running dork when you're posting to RA from the recovery room.  I didn't realize you meant surgery was this Friday! That was fast! May your recovery be swift and you life now pain free.

Lol. I know. The first thing the surgeon said was that I'll be up and running in no time. Love doctors like him!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Lol. I know. The first thing the surgeon said was that I'll be up and running in no time. Love doctors like him!!

Sounds great!!  Hope your recovery is easy and quick!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.