Beginners and Beyond

disregard (Read 84 times)

It should be known the best way to get traffic on a thread around here is to title it "disregard" or "delete this thread". There's one currently at 4289 replies....

Dave

Nevrgivup

I started reading your post but didn't get a chance to finish it.  I think it's a worthwhile subject to talk about though. I mean, for most of us, we, at some point, will have to accept that we no longer can run the way that we used to or the way that we'd like to. whether that is due to aging or injury.  And even if it's temporary, it can be sort of hard to deal with.

It is. I know my father had to give up the sport completely when he had an ankle injury that would not heal. He picked up golf and plays on a daily basis (weather permitting). He also picked up pool. Its amazing how much we do put into the sport and it is a loss like anything else when we can't do it whether it be temporary or permanent.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Mmmmm...beer

I didn't see the original post, but I have given thought to what I would do if I could never run again for whatever reason.  I would definitely find some other way to stay active and fit.  Being fit and healthy is a big part of my life now and I'm not going to give it up just because I can't run.  I also know that even if I can keep running for many years to come, there will come a time when I stop improving and PRs are a thing of the past.  At that point, I will just keep running to stay healthy and because I enjoy it. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

What makes us strong individuals is our ability to adapt to circumstances. If we can't adapt, we are miserable and weak. And ain't no one here wanna be weak!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

hugsy

What makes us strong individuals is our ability to adapt to circumstances. If we can't adapt, we are miserable and weak. And ain't no one here wanna be weak!

I realize you're trying to be helpful but having had friends who've suffered from depression (and one who committed suicide), it is best to offer an ear rather than making blanket statements saying people who can't cope and adapt are weak. Oftentimes they just lack coping skills or it's simply an overwhelming situation. Saying that they're weak is not helpful at all.
            happylily

I realize you're trying to be helpful but having had friends who've suffered from depression (and one who committed suicide), it is best to offer an ear rather than making blanket statements saying people who can't cope and adapt are weak. Oftentimes they just lack coping skills or it's simply an overwhelming situation. Saying that they're weak is not helpful at all.

Sorry. It was sort of a joke, but I have a bad sense of humour.

Hilary, stay strong.  You will get through this.

RSX

Most of us aren't trained to give advice. We just express our opinions.

Hilary I opened your post earlier but didn't have time to finish at that moment. Being injured (I never had surgery that required a long time off from running) sucks, and I went crazy trying to find cardio routines to replace it. I chose the elliptical machine the last few times. I always gained weight, and never adjusted my diet for the drop in calories burnt. It seems like you have a good plan in place though.

happylily

Most of us aren't trained to give advice. We just express our opinions.

Thanks , RSX. I was simply trying to say, in a clumsy way, how important it is in life to be able to adapt to what is thrown at us. It was not a comment about depression or suicidal people. Hilary mentioned in her original post that she is looking forward to doing things like hiking with her husband, and spending more time with friends and family. I think it's a great attitude, she is adapting. That's all I wanted to express.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

(Enter nonsensical quip here)

GinnyinPA

I took up running because I can't do what I really love doing: long distance backpacking, which was the center of my life for 25 years.  When I got injured and couldn't run for months, it was really hard, because I didn't have a backup. Running was my backup.  Other things I might like to do, like long distance bicycling or canoeing, I can't do for the same reason I can't backpack: my home/family situation.  My injuries led to a lot of deep depression which really only eased when I started running again.  I know that the reliance on physical activity to ease my depression is not always good, but it's what has worked for me, and I figure it's better than the alcoholism that the rest of my family uses to self-medicate.

I think it's great that you do have a backup plan, both for the near term and the long term.  Having a meaningful life should include a lot more than just one activity.  Having the right attitude makes a world of difference.  And sometimes, making brownies helps too.

#artbydmcbride

I know someone who will buy your Boston bib.......if you decide that way....

Runners run

Nevrgivup

I took up running because I can't do what I really love doing: long distance backpacking, which was the center of my life for 25 years.  When I got injured and couldn't run for months, it was really hard, because I didn't have a backup. Running was my backup.  Other things I might like to do, like long distance bicycling or canoeing, I can't do for the same reason I can't backpack: my home/family situation.  My injuries led to a lot of deep depression which really only eased when I started running again.  I know that the reliance on physical activity to ease my depression is not always good, but it's what has worked for me, and I figure it's better than the alcoholism that the rest of my family uses to self-medicate.

I think it's great that you do have a backup plan, both for the near term and the long term.  Having a meaningful life should include a lot more than just one activity.  Having the right attitude makes a world of difference.  And sometimes, making brownies helps too.

This. I have always relied on physical activity for depression. Running also is something I use to help me stand out from the rest of the crowd. I'm sure some folks can relate. It makes me feel accomplished. Who would think I was graduating with my Master's degree this spring? I'm more concerned about running again. Of course, they are two very separate things. Those that have had something we love as much as this whether it be running, backpacking, or another sport taken away from them understand this. 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del.