Beginners and Beyond

article on S.A.D. from iRunFar (Read 95 times)

Luke79

http://www.irunfar.com/2013/02/seasonal-affective-disorder-and-the-power-of-positive-self-talk.html

I thought some of you might find this interesting/helpful, since it came up recently in another thread.

Bad Ass

I bet you the amount of people with depression symptoms increases in the Winter.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Luke79

fo sho.  I definitely feel like my ability to harness positive energy decreases in the winter months due to a decrease in daylight and the fact that I tend to "hermit out" to avoid the cold.  I'm sure that's common.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I'm also pretty much a hermit, aside from running.  I can't be bothered to go out for drinks or something, and put on nice clothes (layers of nice clothes, that is) and go out in the cold, salt, slush, and grayness.  I also feel crankier and more moody in the winter.  I sort of feel like I'm barely hanging on by a thread currently!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Luke79

I'm also pretty much a hermit, aside from running.  I can't be bothered to go out for drinks or something, and put on nice clothes (layers of nice clothes, that is) and go out in the cold, salt, slush, and grayness.  I also feel crankier and more moody in the winter.  I sort of feel like I'm barely hanging on by a thread currently!

I don't remember where you live MJ, but here spring is right around the corner.  So is daylight savings time, YAY!  Hang on, if only by a thread Smile

MrNamtor

DON'T TREAD ON ME

i didn't think i had S.A.D. but last weekend i went to Miami and man! I felt great! Really really uplifted and my mood was incredible.

MrNamtor

DON'T TREAD ON ME

fo sho.  I definitely feel like my ability to harness positive energy decreases in the winter months due to a decrease in daylight and the fact that I tend to "hermit out" to avoid the cold.  I'm sure that's common.

I go out in the cold all the time, and it helps. But still I have what's probably a low level of depression in the cold months. Probably my least favorite time of year is the end of summer.

RSX

Running and working out keeps me off meds. I went through a # of them for 5 years, and noticed I do better when I can work out. My step-daughter has found that light therapy helps her during the winter.

I get it really bad, despite meds and a therapy light.  It's been worsened by injury and not being able to run.  It gets so bad that it negatively affects my marriage.  It's more than just a little moody.  I also take a multivitamin that has 2000iu vitamin D.  Plus I take an additional 2000 of just vitamin D.  For me, there seems to be no cure.

I may be slow but I never quit.