Beginners and Beyond

My low tech 5K approach... (Read 147 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So far, I've just been going by effort level, but I'll likely start using my Garmin more once I have more running/racing experience.

As you gain experience you should be using your Garmin less. Use your Garmin now to learn what various paces feel like and what efforts you can maintain for the duration of the race. As you gain experience lean on what you've learned of perceived effort and ignore the Garmin. The Garmin knows nothing about race day conditions, course, or how you're feeling that day.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

maybe I need to go run a 5k someday.

I got excited reading this stuff.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

aponi

never runs the tangents

My 5k strategy is to dress too warmly so I'm burning up half a mile into it. Also I like to underestimate the amount of time it will take to get there, find where they've hidden the chip pick up table, then blindly follow the crowd to the starting line.

the race starts I take off like a crazy person with the form one might see in a young child doing a field day event

and run out of steam say a mile into it

since I'm soaking wet from sweating through layer after layer of warm clothing walking will give me an instant chill

then I take off like a crazy person again and eventually cross the finish line

It goes more smoothly when I have the dog because then I have to start in the back and maintain a reasonable pace.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

MrNamtor

my 15 yo niece promised to coach me next week on how to get fast at the 5k.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I can't worry about other people during a race. Maybe it is because I'm not very competitive, but the only person I race against is myself. If I paid attention to any other runners I would probably become depressed and quit because I am slow and about 2/3 of the field probably passes me at some point haha....

This is the race strategy people in this forum helped me come up with:

First Mile- Run "comfortably hard" pushing faster than my easy pace but not so fast that it doesn't feel as if I could sustain it for 3 miles.

Check in with myself at first mile marker. Can I go faster? If yes push harder. If no, try to hold on.

Check in again at second mile marker. Same thing.

Last .1- Give it all I have left.

This strategy worked well for me at the last 5K I ran.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I love all of these different strategies.  There obviously seems to be more than one way to run a 5K...lol  It seems like every 5K I run sucks worse than the last one, but for less time.  Part of it is training, and part of it is just learning where that limit is.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Love the Half

As you gain experience you should be using your Garmin less. Use your Garmin now to learn what various paces feel like and what efforts you can maintain for the duration of the race. As you gain experience lean on what you've learned of perceived effort and ignore the Garmin. The Garmin knows nothing about race day conditions, course, or how you're feeling that day.

100% correct.  I ran a HM in November and got a surprising PR because I was willing to let my body do what it could do that day.  OTOH, I have had a disappointing 5K and 8K recently because I just didn't race well those days.  It happens.  Had I ran what I thought I my best pace would be in that HM, I would have finished a couple of minutes slower and 4th in my age group.  As things turned out, I won it.  Had I run what I thought I should be able to run in those 5K and 8K races, I'd likely have blown up and posted an even worse time.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

I guess I should clarify.

I'm currently not experienced enough to use my Garmin to connect effort and pace. But it makes sense that with enough experience, I should be able to connect effort and pace without my Garmin. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]