Beginners and Beyond

My Newest Racing Lesson: You Are Not a Camel (Read 77 times)

Love the Half

Note to self:  You are not a camel.  Even if it's going to be hot and humid at your race the next day, you can't store fluids.  Any attempt to to store said fluids will only result in multiple trips to the bathroom throughout the night and you will wake up tired and just as dehydrated as if you had drank a quantity of water more suitable for humans than dromedaries.  That is all.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Ha.  Come on, you knew this one!  Hopefully you didn't end up just flushing all the electrolytes and nutrients from your system.  I'm sure you'll be good though.  Hope the race goes well - certainly a historic and interesting one to do.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

Do you pay attention to any of my posts?  Apparently not!  We went over this at the other place, next time; Chia seeds.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Not dehydrated, just not overhydrated.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I disagree.  Hydrating the night before hydrates you on a completely different level.  Don't believe me?  Start donating plasma.  If you try to hydrate the day of your donation, your blood is still thick and the donation will take FOREVER!!!  If you drink lots of fluids the day and evening before your donation, the process is much quicker and your blood will be thinner.  You just have to make sure that you take in enough sodium and other electrolytes to create a good balance.  The sodium will actually help you to retain more of the water you take in.  I donated twice a week for a year, and it gives you a unique perspective on the circulatory system and how it's effected by hydration.  Those who tried to drink a couple of glasses just before a morning donation, were usually the ones that didn't pass their hydration test or they passed out in the chair.

Now, think about race day.  As you dehydrate that blood will thicken up, and your heart has to pump that sludge.  Better to thin it up the night before in my opinion.  Drink up my friend.  Just ease up before bedtime so you can sleep.  If you ease up, and still have to pee in the middle of the night, then you might want to get your prostate checked.  Your going problem might be a growing problem.  Just saying.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

slowrunningjulie

I disagree.  Hydrating the night before hydrates you on a completely different level.  Don't believe me?  Start donating plasma.  If you try to hydrate the day of your donation, your blood is still thick and the donation will take FOREVER!!!  If you drink lots of fluids the day and evening before your donation, the process is much quicker and your blood will be thinner.  You just have to make sure that you take in enough sodium and other electrolytes to create a good balance.  The sodium will actually help you to retain more of the water you take in.  I donated twice a week for a year, and it gives you a unique perspective on the circulatory system and how it's effected by hydration.  Those who tried to drink a couple of glasses just before a morning donation, were usually the ones that didn't pass their hydration test or they passed out in the chair.

Now, think about race day.  As you dehydrate that blood will thicken up, and your heart has to pump that sludge.  Better to thin it up the night before in my opinion.  Drink up my friend.  Just ease up before bedtime so you can sleep.  If you ease up, and still have to pee in the middle of the night, then you might want to get your prostate checked.  Your going problem might be a growing problem.  Just saying.

You just prompted me to go pour a big glass of water for my 16 miler tomorrow. Thank you.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

LRS

Chasing Muses

Note to self:  You are not a camel.  Even if it's going to be hot and humid at your race the next day, you can't store fluids.  Any attempt to to store said fluids will only result in multiple trips to the bathroom throughout the night and you will wake up tired and just as dehydrated as if you had drank a quantity of water more suitable for humans than dromedaries.  That is all.

LTH is going to light this guy up when he sees this. Wait...