Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES (Read 42 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Did my tempo on the TM today, because it won't let me fall off pace.  4x(1mi HMP, .25mi jog), 8.27 total.  It had nothing to do with heat.  I love heat.  No complaining here.  Wink Polar Vortex stay away, neener neener poo poo. *does a little dance around the room*

Wish I loved heat as much as you 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Oh, right.  Hot as fuck and miserable.

You just needed to say Miamiesque conditions.  Pfftttt.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

DR

Simple rule of thumb probably works ok for some paces, but if I slapped 30-40 sec adjustment on my speedwork I would never pressure my Vdot or improve it.

% seems to work better for me in general as faster paces are affected less, but also at faster paces every second is more crucial than say a second at a 9 or 10 min/mile.

Some of my more strenuous workouts the adjustment is critical.  I may not be able to run intervals at 5:54,  but can *just* complete them at 6:15.   Where as a flat adjusted 6:24 or 6:34 would be way too easy.

This is not true.  My coach trained this way and PRd really big this year, and he is older than us and he is running his fastest paces ever.

And he is not the exception.  He trains a lot of people the same way.  Only but a few have PRd big and gone to Boston.  The ones that have not, did not take the pace adjustments to heart.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Yes... no.... I also meant to tell you that cake looks delicious 

I've actually never worn arm sleeves though I've honestly thought about buying a pair.

They are one of those outrageous runner oddities that you would never wear... until you do...

Then as goofy as you thought they were you wear them anyway because it makes sense.

Docket_Rocket

So as not to edit my post time and time again, the issue is effort.  You will not improve your VDOT by running at a faster effort just because it's hot.  You can improve your VDOT (and I know people who have done it, me included) by adjusting for weather as the effort in 100F is not the same as the same pace in 60F.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

Broke in a pair of Adidas Supernova Glide 5 today. Bought them in a super online sale. Actually I was buying Mizuno Wave Riders 16 for 90$ CDN (excellent price for Canada) and had free shipping if my order was of 150$ or more. So I found the Adidas at 60$. They're heavy trainers, a bit narrow for my taste, but they felt good enough for them to enter in my shoe rotation which now consists of

2 pairs of Mizuno Wave Riders 16

1 pair Mizuno Wave Sayonara

1 pair NB 890V4

1 pair Adidas Supernova Glide 5

Let me know about the sale next time!

B-Plus

4 x 400 @ mile done. I was shooting for 79 seconds each, but kind of fucked up:

73 (35)

75 (37)

76 (36)

78 (38)

When I finally get around to a mile race, I'm pretty sure I'll drop out before the half.

Docket_Rocket

What?  Shoe sales?  Where?  I need some shoes! 

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Oh, Slymoon, I misunderstood your post.  For short intervals speedwork, I agree.  You should not adjust for weather.  But from what my coach makes me do, anything above 1200 (mile intervals specifically), they should be adjusted.  Anything below, you are right.  It's better to push it even if it ends up being faster (adjusted) due to the weather.  But the essence is that you can improve VDOT even without the speedwork, so you can improve VDOT by making adjustments.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Fek, lost a long post.

No worries...

but to respond to the vdot improvement.

I don't disagree with that, just the method of adjustment being a flat 5sec/5 degree being applicable to all paces.

Docket_Rocket

Fek, lost a long post.

No worries...

but to respond to the vdot improvement.

I don't disagree with that, just the method of adjustment being a flat 5sec/5 degree being applicable to all paces.

I agree (if you read my prior post, the one I just posted).  Shorter intervals, we are in agreement.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Arm sleeves are actually a thing in Costa Rica, and not really among runners, just people in general.  I had no idea why until I heard a guy showing off his new arm sleeves and talking about how he wasn't going to get a sunburn.  They love their spandex in all forms, actually. 

Rocked my workout tonight.  My intervals were supposed to be 18 minutes long, I ran them in 17:58, 17:59, and 17:57.  Not bad!  I'm glad I waited for it to cool off a bit before heading out.  It was still warmish, but at least the sun was down.

B+ Any chance you're just that fast these days?

B-Plus

Arm sleeves are actually a thing in Costa Rica, and not really among runners, just people in general.  I had no idea why until I heard a guy showing off his new arm sleeves and talking about how he wasn't going to get a sunburn.  They love their spandex in all forms, actually. 

Rocked my workout tonight.  My intervals were supposed to be 18 minutes long, I ran them in 17:58, 17:59, and 17:57.  Not bad!  I'm glad I waited for it to cool off a bit before heading out.  It was still warmish, but at least the sun was down.

B+ Any chance you're just that fast these days?

Ah, the famous 3 x 2 mile! Really awesome and consistent splits.

Maybe I'm getting faster, but I don't like the regression within my workout 

Zelanie

Maybe I'm getting faster, but I don't like the regression within my workout 

I can't even imagine trying to pace a 400 at mile pace.  It would take me almost the whole interval just to find my pace!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

A month from now most of us will be wearing arm sleeves for our morning runs which will also be pitch black dark.  Sorry D, Scotty and Moon.

And in the winter, we will have pleasant 55 and 60 degree temps while you 'real winter' folks are freezing your asses off. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt