Beginners and Beyond

Rudolph Ramble 5K - RR (Read 196 times)

Penguin Forever

I've never written a race report... I'm not fast, I haven't been running long, and I never have pictures to post (my boyfriend runs the races too, so there's no one to take the pictures).

Here's my back story: I had thyroid cancer last year, and had a couple of months where I didn't have a thyroid and wasn't taking replacement hormones while I waited to take radioactive iodine in order to kill whatever thyroid cells I had left. My metabolism tanked and I had zero energy. I gained a bit of weight (a bit = a lot) and felt like a slug. I went through my first annual post-cancer scan earlier this year and everything looked great. It was time to close the chapter and get back to a fully healthy me.

I was athletic in high school (field hockey, softball) but I had never run just to run. After high school I got lazy and a bit overweight. I used to say that if I wasn't being chased, then what was the point of running? However, once I got the all clear from the thyroid cancer, I decided it was time to take my health back in my hands and do something. I was fat and unhappy. I started couch to 5K in June.

Today was my fifth 5K. I ran my first 5K in September and ran it at 37:43. Each subsequent race has been an improvement.

Today's race was nice and flat; it was run in City Park in Denver. I had last run on Thanksgiving in Littleton, just south of Denver. That race was a loop and a narrow path, so I spent the first few minutes weaving and dodging. After the weaving and dodging I had a really good start to that race and had that in mind when I started this race. Apparently folks in Denver proper are faster because I went out too fast... my first mile was 10:19. Ooh boy. I run my training runs with a 12-12:30 pace. I had my Garmin on and realized I couldn't sustain that pace and tried to slow down. I managed to bring myself down to a 10:59 but still... more than I could handle. At the 2-mile marker I walked. For the first time ever in a 5K race, I walked for a minute. I figured it was better to walk for a minute than to keep slowing down for the rest of the race. It ended up being a good decision. I finished the third mile in 11:48; it could have been much slower if I had slogged on. I still had enough to push the last tenth of a mile; I beat my Thanksgiving day 5K by 40 seconds with a 34:33 finish. I was a little upset with myself for having gone out too fast, but I was still thrilled that I was able to take the walk break, start up again, and finish in a great time.

Since I'm so new to running, each race is a lesson. I saved too much for my Thanksgiving race, and today, I went out too early. I haven't posted a race report before because I felt like maybe I wasn't a real runner yet, or maybe I was still too new to really have anything to offer to anyone reading, or maybe I was so slow that what I thought was a big deal really wasn't to anyone else. Thing is, I can't possibly be the only person learning to love to run. I can't possibly be the only person making great strides in my running ability and having trouble judging what my race pace should be from month to month. If anything, I hope that someone like me reads this and feels a bit of encouragement. Yeah, I wish I hadn't gone out so fast today and yeah, I wonder what would have happened if I didn't run so conservatively last race but damn I'm out there and I never thought that I'd go from running a minute and then needing a walk break to second-guessing my sub-35 5K result less than 6 months later.

Whoo, this was longer than I thought it would be. I read all of your race reports and I marvel at the times and how quickly so many of you progress. You're all an inspiration to me and I really want to add my little bit to this wonderful community!

Mmmmm...beer

Great job!  Every race is definitely a learning experience, even for the faster folks.  Congrats for sticking with it and continuing to work hard and improve, keep it up!

Also, I miss Denver, used to live in Aurora. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

workinprogress11

You're doing great.  You are progressing and seem to really enjoy it.  Congratulations on your race!

Zelanie

So at this race you now that you gave it everything you had, and now you can lay to rest any doubt you have about your turkey trot!  Congratulations on running a good race!

SheCan

This was a lovely race report.   I'm so glad you've overcome so much, and continue to work on your health.  Many of us are not the speed demons that others are.  In fact I've been running for years, and most everyone here can out run me.  But, I can tell you that if you keep it up, you will get stronger and healthier.  Congratulations to you and thank you for writing this report.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Pinktastic

Congrats, Kris - both on the race and on overcoming cancer!   Keep up the great work!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

happylily

Congratulations on the great finish time! You are a fighter and a champion!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Nice job, Kris!

Penguin Forever

Thanks, everyone!

Tweaky63

I AM running!!!

Thank you for sharing! I'm still learning and find motivation in everyone's RR. Great job!

The mircle isn't that I finished. The mircle is that I had the courage to start.

~ John Bingham

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

You have overcome a lot to be where you are now and you are doing great!  I bet you will continue to improve on those PRs and times, sounds like you are very motivated.  Congrats on your races and your running progress! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Misty

Congrats on a great race! You've overcome a lot to get where you are and you should be SO proud of your progress!

Misty

Bless your heart.

runmomto3boys

Congratulations, Kris!  You are such a fighter, battling back from thyroid cancer to where you are today.  In your race, you ran a great time even though you went out too fast and had to do a bit of walking.  Heck, you PRd again, right???  In every race, you are moving in the right direction.  That's huge!  Keep up the great work!

tinman11

I haven't posted a race report before because I felt like maybe I wasn't a real runner yet, or maybe I was still too new to really have anything to offer to anyone reading, or maybe I was so slow that what I thought was a big deal really wasn't to anyone else. Thing is, I can't possibly be the only person learning to love to run. I can't possibly be the only person making great strides in my running ability and having trouble judging what my race pace should be from month to month. If anything, I hope that someone like me reads this and feels a bit of encouragement.

Isn't it funny how posting a race report can give you the same feeling you may have had in a first time race?  There's a lot of pressure there. 

I posted one today and I think it was my first official race report too.  I think it's funny you mentioned no pics too.  I always think about that, wondering how everyone has so many race pics all the time.   

I was thinking the same thing about not having anything new to offer.  But, I think the race reports are helpful to everyone who reads them  and I really enjoyed yours today. 

Great job and thanks for posting!

tinman11

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Congrats on all the positive progress you've made.  There's lots to be learned from every race, and it's a fun (though sometimes painful) process to keep exploring and experimenting.  There's also plenty to be taken from others' race reports, regardless of similarities between pace and experience.  Thanks for sharing, and good luck as you work towards your next race.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn