Beginners and Beyond

Philadelphia Marathon RR - Huge PR and lots of satisfaction. (Read 75 times)

delicate flower

Great race, 4of5!  That was some great execution.  Coming in five minutes under your goal is huge.  Hopefully that injury and related aches and pains are behind you now.

It's cool to hear the perspective from someone else who ran it.  I honestly didn't notice any hills at mile 3 or 26 until I viewed my Garmin track after the race.  I also found it odd to see so many people all bundled up like it was 20 degrees.  Manyunk was my favorite stretch of the race.  Cool little neighborhood and the big crowd support was unexpected.

I forced the pretzel down.  It was carbs and salt.  Took a good three minutes to chew and swallow each bite.

<3

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Thanks Phil, sorry we could not FE, I was just too busy the days before with my own business.  Perhaps we can try again in April, I have NJ Marathon on my radar, could be my BQ attempt (need 3:40 for the 55-60 AG).

To me there were no hills on the course, the mile 9 hill seemed really easy to cruise up.  My first time at Philly and I think its a pretty good setup, the Kelly drive out and back is not bad.  Did you grab any of the Yingling beer at mile 19/21?  I saw plenty of cups on the ground but I passed.

Funny note: at mile 21 I pass a black guy in white tights, American flag shorts, red/white shirt and a flag bandanna..... no biggie other than he is typing a text out on his Galaxy Note (8" model) - no small phone for him, lol.

Reading terminal market is da bomb, so many good choices there.  You however did miss Americas best sandwich in the same joint, voted by Adam Richman.  link.  http://www.travelchannel.com/video/final-bite-dinics-pork

Keep up the good running and looking forward to more of your RR.

delicate flower

The Travel Channel review is what clued me in to Dinic's!  I wanted beef though, not pork.  Nobody goes to Philly to get a PORK sandwich.  Big grin  Bonus:  All the bakery vendors in Reading Terminal Market!  Got four cookies, a cupcake, and a tiramisu.

No beer for me...the only thing I took from the course was water.  Did you notice the spectator guy around mile 24 standing between the out and back runners waving a huge New England Patriots flag?  I laughed at that.  Probably not as big a deal in Philly as it'd be in Pittsburgh.

No worries about the FE.  I was with a group of six and it was tough to even keep tabs on them.  I couldn't even meet up with Kristin and we we kept in communication.  NJ might be easier since there's a good chance I'll be making that trip solo.

<3

onemile

Great comeback race. It's always nice to exceed your expectations!  Congrats.

Great job overcoming injury and running an A-goal race!  That must have been no small feat.  Nice write-up too.  Good luck with your training for the next one.

Zelanie

Glad to hear that you are healthy again, and it sounds like a perfectly executed race. Congrats!

B-Plus

Congrats on smashing through that goal!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

WOW, 27 minute PR! Congrats on a great marathon for you!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

This is huge and I'm so upset that I missed it the first time it was posted. Huge congratulations on an amazing marathon and PR! Your finish time was excellent, but what is even more impressive is that your training, and what it resulted in, suggests that you have great potential in you and much faster finish times. I can see a BQ soon if you can devote a few more hours per week to training (but be careful with the injuries!). I'm very happy for you (and proud too).  Great pics!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010