Beginners and Beyond

Report w/Photos: Trick or Treat Trot 5K for Brighton Center (Read 38 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At  running events that I now do for fun - I call them running events because you can't really call what I do "racing" Big grin -  ' I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT  VERSION REPORT

This was my 58th running event of 2013.  Held Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at Walker Ranch Park, a local San Antonio part that has both paved and off-road trails. Race supported The Brighton Center, which has the objective to improve the quality of life for children with disabilities. This was a small event, about 30 runners total for the 5K- lots of competition for participants this weekend as there was a total of 10 races being held in San Antonio on Saturday.   There was also a Diaper Dash (1- 3 year olds) a Tots Trot  (4- 5 year olds) and a Junior Jog (6 and up), that each did various distances, all on paved sections,  based on the ages.  There was also a costume contest post-race for various costumes, such as most original, best design, etc. The 5K was a mix of the paved and off-road trails of 3 loops, and some of those off-road trails were quite rocky in places and there were a couple of short but steep hills/inclines.  After 3 loops, your legs definitely felt those!  Not my fastest 5K ever, lol, as I walked some of the rockier parts of the trail and also stopped to take photos. I ended up finishing in 40:02.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

Before The Start - Volunteers, Participants, Supporters, and More

The folks wearing the blue "Trick Or Treat Trot" shirts with the runner on the front of it are wearing the tech-tee race shirt each participant got.

Stuff for the kiddies to do while waiting for start

A fellow cancer, Survivor, Steve, and his wife. Steve got first place in the 5K in my age group

Our race setup and timing folks from Athlete Guild, a local race company that always does a great job.

DJ/MC

Here we go.....let the 3 loops begin!

On the Course

My first walk break was on part was on one of the off-road trails

Part of the paved trails course

One of the rocky hills/inclines on the trails....3 times we climbed this

Some of our volunteers along the way

More trail photos

rocky, rocky...

Down this rocky little incline 3 times...had to tread carefully

More rocks to climb

Volunteer on the trail.  Thanks for them cuz some of our 'cross-trail' routes for the 5K were confusing and the volunteers kept us on the right path.

After The Race -  Happy Finishers, costumed people, volunteers, supporters

Goodies included water, various fruits...and each 5K participant got a whole box of Krispy Kreme donuts!

Just kidding, we didn't each get a whole box, but  I did indulge myself in having two.

Oops, I cut off the head of the kid on the shoulders....

2nd try...

I think I just found my wife's Halloween costume.  Big grin

This is one inspirational young fellow.

EPILOG

A small turn-out for this event, which is too bad because it's for a great cause.  But even though it was small, it was one of the most fun and enjoyable events I've ever done.  The people that were there made it so.  Lots of camaraderie between participants along the course and afterwards.  Lots  of ongoing activities for the kids, as well as 3 different Kid Races.  Organizers and volunteers were all very friendly, enthusiastic, and outgoing.  I would definitely do this one again and recommend it to my fellow runners.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - No costume?  You should at least throw on some dog ears.  Congrats on another race, and great RR.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Speaking of costume - have you worn that same shirt all 58 races?  Or do you have several of them?

I know you aren't really "racing," most of the time, but still - 58 is a lot of races to participate in!  What do you do with all the t-shirts?  Since you never race in them?

delicate flower

Heh...you had me when you said each participant got a box of donuts.  Big grin

Oh, and I NEED A MINION HAT.

<3

GinnyinPA

It looks like a nice place to run, though perhaps it's a good thing there weren't a lot of participants as it could get tight in a few of the off trail sections.  Glad you had fun.

Good stuff.  I am disappointed that most "DJ's" these days just hook up a laptop.

SheCan

Nice costumes in this race!   Certainly made for some great pictures.  I had to laugh about that whole box of donuts though.  Yeah, you woulda had to do the course a few more times had you ate them all.  Congratulations on race # 58 of the year ( you're one engergtic dawg for sure!)

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Just B.S.

Scotty, you really need to get Gail working on a project.......two words "photo book".

All your races and photos of all your lovely friends would make an awesome photo book.

LRB

Your line about each racer getting a box of doughnuts was hilarious!

LRB

Good stuff.  I am disappointed that most "DJ's" these days just hook up a laptop.

+1

And most cannot mix, the hell kind of sense does that make!

Zelanie

Those look like beautiful trails.  Worth running for sure even if it slows you down!  I bet it's know fun know you're going to have to climb the exact same rocky bit three times, though!  Looks like a really fun event.