Beginners and Beyond

New shoes for marathon? (Read 101 times)

slowrunningjulie

How many miles do you like to have on our shoes before you will run a  marathon in them? I am running the Shamrock marathon on March 17. I am trying to decide between two pairs of shoes - both are Saucony Omni, but one is the 10 and one is the 11. The 10's have about 420 miles on them. The 11's are in the mail and have not yet arrived. I figure that I could easily put about 20 taper miles on them between now and the 17th. I have been wearing Saucony Omni's for three years now- the 8, 9, and 10. So I am pretty confident about the 11.

What say you, oh gurus of the running internet community? Which shoes should I wear?

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

an amazing likeness

Whichever you want.  420 miles isn't worn out at all, for most shoes. And, that thing about not using new shoes right out of the box is a myth, there's not "break in" to running shoes.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

LRB

I am no guru, but the shoes I bought to run my first marathon stayed at home on race day, and instead I wore the ones I trained in.  Just a gut feeling on my part, or perhaps a bit of superstition.

Incidentally, the shoes I did not wear, I wore during my second marathon, but I also trained in them leading up to it so there was a comfort level there.

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

I really don't think there's a "breaking in" period to running shoes at all.  If they're the right shoe for me, they always feel great to me from mile 1.  For my last marathon, in fact, I ended up wearing brand new shoes (but of course they were a model & size I'd run plenty in before) because of a shipping mix-up & getting them late.  Not a single problem.

I'm also running Shamrock and just yesterday bought the shoes I plan to wear.  Because they're a new version of my usual model (PureFlow 2's vs. 1), I want to make sure I get at least 20-30 miles in them to be certain they're okay (6 miles in them today and I LOVE them, btw!) and that Brooks didn't do anything funky with the fit or anything.

I think if you can get 20 miles on them and they feel good - go with the 11's.  Maybe it's my superstition, but there's just something special about new shoes for a marathon!

Angela 

happylily

If it were me, in your situation, 420 miles would be too much for race day. 20 miles done in the new shoes and they'd be good to go for me. I've done that often in the past (run in new shews with just one or two training runs on them). I won't wear shoes for a marathon which have more than 200 miles. But that's just me and my gut feeling. I have nothing to explain why my way is the right way. It just is. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

I had eleven miles on the shoes I wore for my marathon last week. I wore them for an eight-mile tempo run and a three-mile easy run. They felt great for both types of runs, so I went with them.

BenTN

I prefer to have 30 to 50 miles on my marathon shoes. I'll normally do my last long run in them. There is no way I'd do a marathon in shoes with 420 miles. I don't retire shoes until 500+ miles but I normally don't do double digit runs in shoes over 400 miles, just short easy recovery runs.

I have done three trail 50K's in fresh from the box (0 miles) shoes with no problems. However, I was doing the 50K's as training runs for a 50M.

CClay

Better than all of you

Docket_Rocket

I've done marathons with shoes that had 4.5 miles in them, but they were trusty Elixirs.  I usually retire shoes at 400-450 so for me, 420 is too much.

I would use the new ones, as long as you do some runs in them and the shoes feel good.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

40-50m is about what i like on a pair of shoes for a race.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

delicate flower

If you've used the model shoes before, I think 20 miles is plenty.  I've done a HM in a pair with zero miles on them and that's my current PR race.  I agree that shoe technology is such that shoes don't really need any breaking in period.  I'd only want to run in a new-to-me model before the race just to be sure they fit and don't hurt.

<3

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I also agree I think you will be fine if they feel good after 20 miles or so. I've run a marathon in shoes I was only able to put 15 miles on prior to race day--but they were the same exact model shoe. If they feel good, go with them. Personally shoes with too many miles on them make me prone to aches and pains and those extra pains are something I definitely didn't want on race day.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

slowrunningjulie

I never thought of it that way before, but you are totally right!

Thanks everyone. I think I will go with the new shoes, assuming that they arrive on time.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I wear them enough that I'm sure there are no irregularities that might rub and I've had time to adjust the tension on the lacing to be sure it's comfortable. I'd be hestitant to wear a pair that has over 800 miles. I guess that's a pretty wide range for today's shoes.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

cmb4314

I wear them enough that I'm sure there are no irregularities that might rub and I've had time to adjust the tension on the lacing to be sure it's comfortable.

That's me.

I don't find that my shoes need to be broken in, per se, but I always need a few runs to make sure my laces are in a good spot.  I find for the first run in a new pair, it's not uncommon for me to have to stop and adjust the laces during the run because they are too loose or too tight in spots on my foot.  After a couple of runs, they kind of fall into a sweet spot where I don't have to mess with them for the rest of the life of the shoes.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011)