Beginners and Beyond

Gulf Beach HM - short(ish) recap (Read 92 times)

delicate flower

3:14:59.  Big grin

I do wonder if that would be reasonably possible with eight months to train.  Not like "A-goal if having the best day ever and conditions are perfect", but something actually doable.  

<3

LRB

BTW...any thoughts on a possible May marathon time to think about?

Your 5k, 10k and today's half marathon PR vdot values are all 47.  The marathon finish time for a vdot value of 47 is 3:21, I would start there.

If however, you find during training that you have better fitness than that, you can always adjust.

Love the Half

A couple of questions.  Did you warm up?  If not, that may be the reason for the stitch.  Going from cold to HM pace is really, really hard.  My other question is whether you tapered.  I have run races without tapering and my legs didn't have much snap in them either.  Just a thought and maybe off base but thought I'd ask.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

Phil, if you ran a marathon tomorrow and had trained for it, you'd run about 3:20/3:25 depending on the course and conditions. But with 8 months to train? The sky is the limit! Smile A nice sub-3:15 or better, depending on training, is also what I predict.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

Congrats! you have had a great comeback for sure!

RSX

Congrats,great race report, and huge PR. Good luck with your 26.2 training.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Great report, awesome PR! Especially considering your knee situation not too long ago. Congrats!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

TakeAHike

Very nicely done Baboon.  I felt like you were going to have a breakthrough race sooner or later, but I didn't expect it to be so soon after your surgery.  All the miles you have run over the last couple years are really paying off.  Congrats on the huge PR. Very impressive.

BTW - our HM PRs are now nearly identical.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Ugly splits or not, you beat your time goal and got a PR!  Sounds like you executed just fine to me!  Congrats on your race!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

I do wonder if that would be reasonably possible with eight months to train.  Not like "A-goal if having the best day ever and conditions are perfect", but something actually doable.  

IMO, yes.  You've been turning in constant, large improvements at races.  With lots of time to base-build even further, and a Pfitz or similar "good" training cycle leading to the race, you can totally do it.

delicate flower

A couple of questions.  Did you warm up?  If not, that may be the reason for the stitch.  Going from cold to HM pace is really, really hard.  My other question is whether you tapered.  I have run races without tapering and my legs didn't have much snap in them either.  Just a thought and maybe off base but thought I'd ask.

I ran a one mile warm up at 7:30 pace.  Basically, a mile at HM pace, starting slowly and increasing my speed.  I actually had to run hard to the starting line because a half mile into my warm up, my watch read 7:56 for the 8:00 start.  Whoops!  Then there was a 15 minute delay to the start of the race.  Figures.

I tapered for one week.  I cut my miles from my 55 avg down to 38 for the week.  So a 30% cutback, but not a true taper.  My daily miles for the week leading into the race were 9, 7, 7, 6, 5, 4.  Mostly easy miles and the last three days were on a treadmill.  Noting hard except a few half mile intervals at goal HM pace.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on my May marathon.  It's nice to hear a BQ is within the realm of possibility and something to think about.  That'd be an enormous 30 minute PR, but then again it will have been 19 months between marathons by the time that rolls around.

<3

Jess runs for bacon

Dude, congrats!!! Also, mad jealous of the bling Surprised

RabbitChaser

Great job! Congrats on crushing your old PR. I definitely agree that your knee is healed! Thanks for sharing the RR.

Resident Historian

Yeah I think your knee is healed! Cool (I thought you'd get back before me)

Excellent race, a real breakthrough.  Noting that several months of your build-up were recovery from the knee and rebuilding miles, 3:14 is a definite possibility for you with 8 months or so to train. 
                              Recover well... then get at it!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Ric-G

big congrats! coming off surgery there is never any guarantee but you killed it...much faster times are ahead; nice job!

marathon pr - 3:16