Beginners and Beyond

Shippensburg ArtShip 10k - a RR (Read 41 times)

GinnyinPA

I had a really good race this morning.  Shippensburg is a small college town about 20 miles from us with a short (10 miles or so) gravel railtrail that is used for a few local races.  I run there when I want an easy flat run.  The races are usually pretty small and inexpensive, with few frills, but they do have chip timing and awards.  It's a pretty course, with big mature trees shading most of the trail, and views of a few large farms beyond the trees.  The race was an out and back through part of the campus and up to a park and on to the railtrail which we followed for 2.5 miles, then back again.  There are only two small hills, one a bridge over a creek and the other up to the park - total gain of about 70'.  Nice!

Today was a beautiful clear sunny day, about 66F at the 9:00 a.m. start.  It felt warm in the sun, but we spent most of the race on the railtrail in the shade and there was a light breeze for part of it so it felt really comfortable.  I got there an hour early to register and had no problems, aside from a stomach issue that sent me to the POP three times.  DH and I walked our dog for a bit around the campus, then I did a short warm-up jog and some stretches and lined up with the others at the start.

As usual, once I started running, I forgot all about any plan for the race. This is my first time running a 10k, so I asked for advice on how to approach it.  I was told, start at HM pace then speed up as much as possible for the last three miles.  Good idea.  But what felt like a moderate pace turned out not to be as slow as I'd planned. I'm not used to running flat, and it just felt so easy.  I started at a pace that felt good and started picking off people ahead of me, when I could.  It was a small race (only 110 runners)  so I was only able to reel in a dozen or so, but I only got passed by one person, so that's okay.  Mostly I just kept chugging away at a pace I thought I could sustain for a while. I intended to start at 9:30 and speed up to about 9:00 for the second half, but the first mile was 9:08, and the second was 9:08, and the third was 9:08, at which point I was supposed to speed up, but that wasn't going to happen. I was starting to feel the effort a bit at the turn around. So my fourth mile was 9:10.  Halfway through the next mile, I finally reached the water table, which I had wanted since about 5 minutes before the race started, but passed up the first time. I was starting to feel a bit nauseous, so knew I really needed water.  I slowed down to a walk to drink and started up a bit reluctantly, so mile 5 was 9:22, but then I got into the groove again and mile 6 was 9:02 and the last .22 was at 9:03.  I was surprised at how consistent I was, overall -- but then, I'm used to running hillier routes.  Final time was 56:55 for an average of 9:10.

My A goal was to break an hour and my B goal was to be under 57 and my C goal was to get an AG award; I ended up with all three.  I got an award for being first in my AG, though I wasn't actually first.  The overall female winner was also age 50-59, but since she took that top award, I got the ceramic medal from the Cumberland Valley Rails to Trails Council. So kind of a 1st*.

All in all, a good race and a fun one.

Docket_Rocket

The course sounds lovely.  Congrats on a great race!  And achieving all three goals?  Priceless.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Nice job, Ginny! Thanks for sharing Smile

PADRunner

Way to go! Nice race.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Nice, Ginny! Three goals met in one race! You can't beat that. Smile I hope you will do more 10Ks in the future. Oh, have a great trip.

meaghansketch

Great race, and congrats on hitting all 3 of your goals!  Fantastically done!

Zelanie

Wow!  Well done!  I'm glad you trusted your legs and went out at that faster pace!  Smile

B-Plus

Congrats on meeting all 3 goals. I would have suggested that you start at 10k pace (or maybe just a touch slower), and try to hold it until the end. Now that you have this first one under your belt, you should have a better idea what that pace should feel like, so try that next time.

LRB

My A goal was to break an hour and my B goal was to be under 57 and my C goal was to get an AG award; I ended up with all three.

Nice!  Also nice to see you add a little diversity to your racing distances, I am all about that!  It wouldn't hurt to throw a 5k in there as well ya know...well it would hurt, but only for the last mile. 

Interestingly enough your time today lines up almost perfectly with your half marathon time, which means you ran it just about as well as could have been expected.

Soooo, when is the next half?  lol  I know it's coming!

hog4life

Ginny, I just loved reading your report. The course sounds very nice. Congratulations on exceeding all of your goals. Your splits are incredible!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on 1st 10K and AG win.  9:10 pace is terrific.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Great race for you, Ginny!  Sounds like a lovely place to run, too.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt