Beginners and Beyond

What does a 50 mile week look like? (Read 210 times)

Goorun

How so?

I have been sick in January and my running is not where it should be this time of year, which is frustrating for me. I'll be over 100 miles this week.

Maybe I should appreciate and enjoy that I could run 100+ mpw and have no problems doing it.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Village people

I have been sick in January and my running is not where it should be this time of year, which is frustrating for me. I'll be over 100 miles this week.

Maybe I should appreciate and enjoy that I could run 100+ mpw and have no problems doing it.

i am sorry that you have been sick. I hope that you are feeling better. Are you? Running is a pretty individual sport. We are all at different positions in our running careers. 50 mpw is high for me, but 100mpw is frustrating for you. You know what? I am frustated for you. No one likes being held back by sickness or injury, it doesn't matter how many miles someone is running. Feel better, Goo.

delicate flower

Before I got injured I had strung together a bunch of 50 mile weeks.  A typical week would look something like this:

Sun:  5 (easy or maybe a race of some sort)

Mon:  8 easy

Tue:  10 speed

Wed:  8 easy

Thu:  10 easy

Fri:  8 hard (hills or something)

Sat:  5 easy

When I was marathon training, that Friday run would turn into my LR.  Of course I'd have a rest day mixed in there once in a while too.  Unfortunately I probably won't see another 50 mile week until fall.

<3

Mine is not set in stone, varies some, but my 50- mile weeks usually consist of one 15 miler, two 10-milers, a couple 5 milers and a couple 2 milers.

It might look like:

Mon: 10 Miles (Easy)

Tue:  2 Miles (Speed Drill)

Wed: 5 Miles (Easy)

Thu:  2 Miles (Tempo)

Fri:    5 Miles (Easy)

Sat:   3.1 Miles (a 5K, max race speed)

Sun:  15  Miles (Easy long run)

---I doubt many folks would want to put a 15 miler one day after a max effort 5K, but that is what I do.  The miles could be moved around, such as swapping the Wednesday runs, so that a 15 miler is done on Wednesday and only 5 easy miles would have to be done on Sunday, the day following the race.  I too have ramped my base mileage from the 20-30 MPW range up to a goal of 50 MPW.

---No consistent schedule with me though, look at my graphs and you will see how I put together my runs is all over the place. :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Goorun

i am sorry that you have been sick. I hope that you are feeling better. Are you? Running is a pretty individual sport. We are all at different positions in our running careers. 50 mpw is high for me, but 100mpw is frustrating for you. You know what? I am frustated for you. No one likes being held back by sickness or injury, it doesn't matter how many miles someone is running. Feel better, Goo.

Thanks DJJ. I'm ok now. Frustrating part is that there is not enough time till Boston, so I won't be ready for a good race.

First world problems. Wink

No more marathons

It kind of looks like two 25s all scrunched together.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Goorun

Mine is not set in stone, varies some, but my 30- mile weeks usually consist of one 15 miler, two 10-milers, a couple 5 milers and a couple 2 milers.

It might look like:

Mon: 10 Miles (Easy)

Tue:  2 Miles (Speed Drill)

Wed: 5 Miles (Easy)

Thu:  2 Miles (Tempo)

Fri:    5 Miles (Easy)

Sat:   3.1 Miles (a 5K, max race speed)

Sun:  15  Miles (Easy long run)

---I doubt many folks would want to put a 15 miler one day after a max effort 5K, but that is what I do.  The miles could be moved around, such as swapping the Wednesday runs, so that a 15 miler is done on Wednesday and only 5 easy miles would have to be done on Sunday, the day following the race.  I too have ramped my base mileage from the 20-30 MPW range up to a goal of 50 MPW.

---No consistent schedule with me though, look at my graphs and you will see how I put together my runs is all over the place. :-)

Probably not, but that is very common with elite runners (running purposely on tired legs). I still do two LRs per week. The shorter one (18 - 21 miles) on Tuesday after very hard double on Monday.

Your week is surprising to me considering that you run a lot of ultras,

robinde

It kind of looks like two 25s all scrunched together.

I was wondering if someone would tell me this Smile  I was more interested about the role of the LR when in maintenance mode.  I've only ever been in base building mode with the goal of maybe attempting a half late this spring.  The thought of doing a 20 mile run every week seems a little daunting.  I guess if and when I get there that feeling will be different.  Right?

Goorun

I was wondering if someone would tell me this Smile  I was more interested about the role of the LR when in maintenance mode.  I've only ever been in base building mode with the goal of maybe attempting a half late this fall.  The thought of doing a 20 mile run every week seems a little daunting.  I guess if and when I get there that feeling will be different.  Right?

You want to keep your endurance, so you keep LRs.

True maintenance mode doesn't mean running less. It's usually running slower average or if you will higher percentage of your runs at  your slower pace. Saying that, even in maintenance mode you need to run some runs at faster paces or you will get into a rut of " one gear running ".

No more marathons

I was wondering if someone would tell me this Smile  I was more interested about the role of the LR when in maintenance mode.  I've only ever been in base building mode with the goal of maybe attempting a half late this fall.  The thought of doing a 20 mile run every week seems a little daunting.  I guess if and when I get there that feeling will be different.  Right?

Yeah, that was my (weak) attempt at humor.  For me, 50 mile weeks are at the outer limit of what I'm interested in putting in. I'll be running my third marathon in the past six months this weekend and in all the training for those I've only had 4 weeks in there that were 50 or more.

Once I'm done with this marathon I'll most likley drop back to about 30 miles per week with a couple of 4s, a couple of 6s, and a 10 as my "long" run.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I was wondering if someone would tell me this Smile  I was more interested about the role of the LR when in maintenance mode.  I've only ever been in base building mode with the goal of maybe attempting a half late this spring.  The thought of doing a 20 mile run every week seems a little daunting.  I guess if and when I get there that feeling will be different.  Right?

Maintenance mode long runs for a 5K runner like myself are around 12-14 miles...much more tolerable than 20! More reason to love the 5K. Big grin

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

sunfastrose

Fatty McFatFat

I really loved going into the 50s when I was marathon training.  I want to get back there after this HM cycle is done (I'm only getting into the thirties now)

58 mile week:
                          M - 2 miles easy, 15 miles @ MP + 10 sec, 3 miles easy

T - 4 miles easy

W - 5 miles easy + 8x10 sec hill sprint

Th - 1 mile easy, 8 miles @MP, 1 mile easy

F - 2 miles easy, 2x15 min @ HM pace w/3 min active recovery, 2 miles easy

S - 12 miles moderate

Sun - Rest

Docket_Rocket

Feel better.  It gives me perspective too.  When I have a bad asthma week and I can still run 52mpw, instead of being angry I didn't run 60, I should have the same reaction (that I'm glad I can run 50+ even with bad asthma).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

You've been sick and you still manage to run over 100 miles?! Holy moly! If you hadn't been sick, what would your weekly mileage be like now? And if your shorter LR of the week is 18-21, what is the second one like? Do you go up to, or over, 26 miles?

I know you will do fantastic, Goo, I have no doubt about that. But most of all, I hope YOU think you did fantastic as well!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

runbum

I have been base building mode for the past couple of months, averaging in the mid-50s.

It is possible to maintain this mileage level without any runs longer than 90 minutes (LRs). You need to run lots of doubles. (see log)

Becoming comfortable with a higher mileage level is more important than getting in a single LR every week.  Even though I haven't been doing any 12 or 13 mile runs since December, I'm confident I would not have a problem sustaining 13.1 miles at a hard pace. That comes from averaging close to 60 mpw for the last 5 months, including weekly stamina runs.

The LR will make it more difficult for you to sustain a higher mileage level due to the additional recovery time involved. If you need a full day off just to recover afterwards, it is probably too long.

I'm not saying that the LR doesn't have value, but it needs to be kept in perspective.