Beginners and Beyond

For those that swim (Read 405 times)

Nevrgivup

So I'll be signing up for a beginners swim course tomorrow and I'm getting really excited to incorporate this into my running routine. Its going to be awhile before I become efficient  with it naturally. I'm checking in to see how many of you guys swim and how often as part of your routines?

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

CrisRuns

I do, except I took a break after surgery and I have not been back yet. I guess I just have to fortify myself and just do it.

Nevrgivup

I do, except I took a break after surgery and I have not been back yet. I guess I just have to fortify myself and just do it.

Cris what kind-of injury did you have? I'm really excited to get into it. I've been injured myself and hope that by cross-training it will make me more stronger overall.

CrisRuns

Cris what kind-of injury did you have? I'm really excited to get into it. I've been injured myself and hope that by cross-training it will make me more stronger overall.

Eh. I hate to tell you, but the swimming was the final insult to my injury. I had a broken cartilage in my hip and I had the terrible idea of trying to keep up with the Masters swim team for a 90 minutes breast stroke workout. Let me tell you that the breast stroke kick is not a good idea for your hips and knees.

Nevrgivup

Eh. I hate to tell you, but the swimming was the final insult to my injury. I had a broken cartilage in my hip and I had the terrible idea of trying to keep up with the Masters swim team for a 90 minutes breast stroke workout. Let me tell you that the breast stroke kick is not a good idea for your hips and knees.

Good to know. I'm such a beginner right now. I'm going to be super cautious with anything, just like with running. My injury was from a leg length discrepancy. Adductor tendinitis which ended up with a groin strain and a bone spur on my pelvic bone. I've since got that corrected with a shoe insert. I will definitely not be attempting to swim with a swim team. LOL. Joking Hope your back on your feet now. I'll be sticking to mostly freestyle technique.

notimeforthat

I swim 3 times a week for about 50 minutes or so a go. I am finally starting to see some gains in technique and speed after 2 years of swimming 2-3 times a week (either in a pool or lake). I pair one of those workouts with a run or weight training day so I can get everything done in the week.

If I am having hip or knee issues on land, swimming will aggravate them 100%. I also developed some neck strain during the first year, but that has resolved itself nicely and I don't have those issues anymore.

Nevrgivup

I swim 3 times a week for about 50 minutes or so a go. I am finally starting to see some gains in technique and speed after 2 years of swimming 2-3 times a week (either in a pool or lake). I pair one of those workouts with a run or weight training day so I can get everything done in the week.

If I am having hip or knee issues on land, swimming will aggravate them 100%. I also developed some neck strain during the first year, but that has resolved itself nicely and I don't have those issues anymore.

These are all good things to know. So do you think that swimming helps your conditioning and helps you avoid injuries?

LRB

I swim, although not a lot lately.  I'm hoping to get back to it this spring.  I am still student as well, and I know just about enough to disappear into the drain hole if no one is looking.

I sleep like a fat cat on the days that I swim.  I miss that!  It's a great overall body workout.

CrisRuns

These are all good things to know. So do you think that swimming helps your conditioning and helps you avoid injuries?

With care, it does. If you are already half-injured (like I was) and if you through yourself in a swimming frenzy to replace the running,  without having not done much swimming before, you can find yourself in a ocean of hurt.

Nevrgivup

With care, it does. If you are already half-injured (like I was) and if you through yourself in a swimming frenzy to replace the running,  without having not done much swimming before, you can find yourself in a ocean of hurt.

Thanks. I will definitely not do this. Smile I'm just looking to mix it up.

notimeforthat

Well I have to swim to race, so it is more about not drowning at races for me. Smile

Cycling has helped me avoid injuries more over the long haul, I have ridden almost for as long as I have run (6 years now I guess) and that helped me more than anything.

Any aerobic activity will help conditioning, and swimming is a kick butt workout, but it can also make me want to eat the side of a house. Not being a swimmer competitively as a kid has made it difficult to get to where I want to be in triathlon, that is for sure.

My advice is to go in with reasonable (read: low) expectations. Your running fitness will not translate to swimming like it might in cycling (and not there either to be honest, but less so). You are pushing against water which is much more resistant than air, which is why you can exhaust yourself with poor technique (I should know this like a pro for sure).

Starting off with a beginner group is great. Focus on drills and technique before worrying about how far you can go.

Nevrgivup

Well I have to swim to race, so it is more about not drowning at races for me. Smile

Cycling has helped me avoid injuries more over the long haul, I have ridden almost for as long as I have run (6 years now I guess) and that helped me more than anything.

Any aerobic activity will help conditioning, and swimming is a kick butt workout, but it can also make me want to eat the side of a house. Not being a swimmer competitively as a kid has made it difficult to get to where I want to be in triathlon, that is for sure.

My advice is to go in with reasonable (read: low) expectations. Your running fitness will not translate to swimming like it might in cycling (and not there either to be honest, but less so). You are pushing against water which is much more resistant than air, which is why you can exhaust yourself with poor technique (I should know this like a pro for sure).

Starting off with a beginner group is great. Focus on drills and technique before worrying about how far you can go.

Thanks.Big grin

Chairman

I don't swim, but I sink.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

I try to swim 2 x a week.  I swam competitively as a child and in college.  I was never really speedy, but I'm pretty smooth and have decent endurance in the water.  It definately doesn't translate to running and vice versa.  I'm just restarting "running", but I've never been an effortless runner.  (weight has some to do with that)

I think it's great that you are adding swimming to your routine.  Lessons can be great to help you be more at ease in the water.  Stroke technique and steady breathing will be your friends that allow you to swim further with less effort.

~Andrea

Butter Tart

I swim with a Masters Club three times a week (55 minutes each time). Masters just means adults, you don't have to be good. I am pretty darn slow and could not even do butterfly when I started. It's a good workout, seems to do the most for my shoulders and upper back. I do it for a) cross-training, b) backup activity when injured from running, c) triathlon.

I learned to swim front crawl and back crawl as a kid, then three years ago started adult swim classes which helped me improve a lot, plus taught me breast stroke, etc. Took maybe 3-4 9 week sessions of classes. Swam on my own for a year, then decided to do the Masters thing.