Beginners and Beyond

Come to Charleston, WV to watch the carnage (Read 114 times)

onemile

I used to watch Intervention.

I would totally run that course.

Website says 5 hour limit (22 min pace).

Can't imagine walking a half marathon.  I walked a 10k the other weekend and that was painful.

Love the Half

Damn.  I didn't realize there was a 5 hour time limit but I went to the site and by golly you are right.  I always thought the Indy Mini was generous with a 4 hour limit.  Mind you, it's on a dead flat course.

I raced up that hill today in a 5 Miler and on my way back down, I saw a lot of miserable people.  That is one tough climb.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

Damn.  I didn't realize there was a 5 hour time limit but I went to the site and by golly you are right.  I always thought the Indy Mini was generous with a 4 hour limit.  Mind you, it's on a dead flat course.

Bring enough food and beer for 5 hours....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

How long did it take Joanne when she did her half-marathon in your company, Brad? I always thought it very kind of you to do this. At the time, Joanne  needed all the help and compassion she could get from her friends.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm probably in the minority but for this race, maybe event is a better term, a 5 hour cut off seems appropriate. I am not a fan of the Biggest Loser, but if this gets people up and moving, then it at least has some redeeming quality.

Love the Half

Joanne and I finished in just over 4 hours.  The difference is that there is no way I would have recommended this race to her regardless of the cutoff.  That climb, and I raced it yesterday, is very tough.  Toughest climb I've raced on other than in trail races.  And you're not done when you get to the top of that climb.  It's a false summit.  Add into that the reality that it's going to be hot on June 28th and it may be really humid.  We have a major river between two mountains and the humidity here is usually pretty bad.  It was awful yesterday.  Plus, there is no shade.  None.  This is not a race for beginners.

The one I paced with Joanne was on a dead flat course the first weekend in November.  The irony is that the organizers of this race could easily have laid out a flat course if they'd just done a double loop.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).