Beginners and Beyond

Treadmill Tune Ups (Read 52 times)

Trail Monster

If you own a TM how often do you do maintenance? What do you do yourself? Do you ever have a maintenance guy come and work on it? What if a part needs replaced? Do it yourself or pay?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Village people

Our treadmille is almost 8 years old, we have never had it serviced.

Just B.S.

Our treadmille is almost 8 years old, we have never had it serviced.

Ours is 8 years old as well.

Luckily DH is one of those guys who can build or fix anything (except cars) so we never pay for maintenace

or trades people. I know he's done a few minor adjustments over the years but nothing serious.

Jnfr Jogs

Horizon TM about 5 yrs old. The panel lights up when it needs the deck lubed according to mileage used, which for me is about every 60 - 90 days.  I lube the deck, and also weekly take off the front end cover and vacuum out the motor & motherboard area.

Last year the motherboard died - after looking online (I think it was TreadmillDoctor.com) I saw easy step by step replacement instructions, even a video, and ordered & replaced it myself. Cost about $230 - orig. TM price was $975.

Hard to find service in my area - one place called said TMs are designed to last 3-5 years, depending on usage.  Seems very wasteful to me, so next up will probably be a new belt. Mine now has those 2 shiny stripes lengthwise on the belt, and it is running "rough."

If yours is still under warranty, be sure to read the small print.  Some warranties are voided if you don't have it service by a certified repair co.

Trail Monster

Thanks all. Ours is about 3 years old and running pretty crappy. I bought a tune up kit from the manufacturer and lubed it, tensioned the belt, etc. but it didn't help much. We have a repair man coming from the manufacturer tomorrow. It was $139 for the visit and we have to pay for any parts on top of that. I hope it's nothing too bad. I mostly just wondered if there was some way to keep it running smoothly for longer than 2.5-3 years this time. I'm guessing not since it's a lower grade model. Next time I'll probably have to replace it as it's getting a lot of use between DH and I lately.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop