Beginners and Beyond

New beer mile world record (Read 50 times)

Story and video link

Sixty years ago, Sir Roger Bannister showed that barriers were made to be broken, as the Englishman became the first man ever to run under 4 minutes for the mile with his historic 3:59.4 clocking. On Sunday, James Nielsen of California took down another mark that was previously thought to be unattainable, that of dipping under 5 minutes for the beer mile, which involves drinking 4 beers while running four laps of the track.

Watch as Nielson clocks 4:57 to become the first person known to break 5:00 in this unsanctioned event. The previous “official” record, according to BeerMile.com, was the 5:04.9 set by Australian Josh “Harry” Harris in 2013. Nick Symmonds, a silver medalist in the 800m at the 2013 IAAF World Championships, holds the U.S. record for the beer mile with a 5:15.0.

“That was really painful,” said Neilsen, CEO of the nonprofit California Runners.

Would love to see Bob Costas narrate a stirring video segment on this guy.

Also: 'MURICA!

Dave

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

My hero!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

LRB

Hilarious!

Not sure I could down 48 ounces of anything while running 1600 meters at mile pace let alone beer!

Love the Half

I had a couple of beers when I ran Boston and it did not sit well after Mile 21.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

I had maybe 4 ounces at mile 24 ish at Detroit and it remains arguably the best beer I have ever had.

I wish I knew what the hell that beer was.

Mmmmm...beer

I like beer, and I don't want to drink 4 beers in under 5 minutes without running!  lol  Nice work James.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Love the Half

I honestly don't know if I could do a Beer Mile in under 20 minutes.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

lol

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

virtual race anyone?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hip Redux

This is making me feel burpy.

B-Plus

I'm not even confident of finishing one beer in under 5 minutes without the running!