Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Dos Rios Dash n Splash 5K (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 31st race of 2015.   145 finishers...48 males and 97 females.  So twice as many ladies as guys...which was okay be me...chasing all those Great Legs out there kept me steadily moving forward.    If I remember correctly, this race benefited the New Braunfels Parks Foundation.  Held on June 20, 2015 in New Braunfels, starting and finishing at Cypress Bend Park.  Called "Dos Rivers" because we ran from Cypress Bend Park which is beside the Comal River,  to Prince Sohms Park, beside the Guadalupe River (if I remember my geography correctly) and then back to Cypress Bend Park.  The Dash N Splash is because there was an option to do just the 'dash" - the running part of the race only - or the 'dash n splash' in which, when you got to Prince Sohms Park, you did a little diversion and took a tube right through a water chute and after that continued running again.   There was a table set aside at the chute area where you could leave your shoes and socks, gear, etc, and then get it all back together on you after you exited the water from the tube ride. I did not choose to do the chute ride as being in moving water tends to kick up my vertigo; but I think I actually did 5K distance because I took a short diversion from doing just the 'Dash' to run down to the chute area with some of the dash-n-splash folks and take some photos of some of them there; then I ran back up the stairs to the road again and continued along the regular race route. Ended up with a time of 33:30, which was good enough for 2nd in my AG (60 - 69).

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before the Race

New Braunfels is only about a 30 minute drive from San Antonio.  However, with all the crazy rain-storm weather we've been having around here, I got up early and left about 6:20 to get to the site for the 8 a.m. start time.  It was raining when I left San Antonio - coming down pretty good too where I was, near the airport - but when I got to the New Braunfels city limits it was dry as a bone, go figure.  Crazy weather.  Still warm though - 76 degrees at start time, 76 degree dewpoint, and humidity of 97%, gaack.  Can you say sweat sweat sweat!

The river near the start area park  was quite high with all the rain

photo 002_zpsylzjnz2m.jpg

photo 003_zpsxhqfll7y.jpg

photo 005_zpstu5wfhms.jpg

Yeah, more like 'float away zone" for right now...

photo 019_zpscz6glddj.jpg

Good folks from AthleteGuild doing their thing for timing, results, etc.

photo 001_zpsmmwyrsjs.jpg

Me and David, our race MC.  Dark skies behind us and stayed that way, but we did not get rained on for the race.

photo 015_zpstunj0kos.jpg

Nice pavilion for all the activities

photo 007_zpst3qw83ge.jpg

And some of the folks there, pre-start

photo 006_zpsnrjhmewi.jpg

photo 008_zpsgjrdn3pn.jpg

photo 009_zpscmxuhl54.jpg

photo 010_zpsyntpneja.jpg

photo 011_zpsnmzqirdb.jpg

photo 012_zpsvkvpg2c8.jpg

photo 014_zpssvtsqekn.jpg

photo 016_zps5uzbc6f1.jpg

photo 017_zpshwjibp5p.jpg

photo 018_zpsmufbnbuc.jpg

photo 020_zps6y21kduy.jpg

One of the park officers out there for us.  Had a nice chat with this retired Army guy.  Thanks for your service!

photo 021_zpswuexctux.jpg

Right after we started this is the short hill we went up to exit the park

photo 022_zps102zxgxt.jpg

On the Course

Going out we had an uphill to get out of the park;  then down a flat road; then left onto our second uphill; a bit flat after that until we made another left turn and climbed a short uphill.  This took us to a downhill...from which we could see yet another uphill ahead of us.  Then we went  down a bit of an incline - can't really call that part a hill, and into Prince Solms park, where the "Dash" people did a loop around, while the "Splash" participants diverted to go do the tube ride. Coming back it was, of course reversed, so at least more downhills on the way back...except when we got to the park, we had to do second little out-and-back to make up for the flooded part of the course in the park...and of course there was an UPHILL incline right before we got back on the main park road and headed to the finish.   Yeah, whoever laid this course out either loves hills or hates runners getting any PRs.     The route also went past a cemetery going out and coming back; which, at my age, I superstitiously tried not to look at.    The roads were fairly wide, which was nice, gave everyone lots of room.  Park officers and police officers at all the intersections keeping us nice and safe.   There wasn't that much traffic on our route anyway, until we go to the road where Prince Sohms Park is, that is a fairly busy little road as it is on the way to Schlitterbahn, a very large water park in New Braunfels, and I think one of the largest in the world.  The drivers I saw on the road when I got to that point seemed pretty patient about it all though.

photo 023_zps41ijked5.jpg

photo 024_zpsraui772g.jpg

photo 025_zps5o7hzput.jpg

photo 026_zpsr6w86kh4.jpg

photo 027_zps74oirtbj.jpg

photo 028_zpspfthp7jx.jpg

"Dash" participants heading across the walkway to do the tube chute ride.   The chute was a tunnel right near where that red marked area is on the right

photo 029_zpszxdn39md.jpg

So much water in the river from all the recent rain, the toobers came shooting out of it....

photo 030_zpsu4re4e5k.jpg

Back on the running course for me....

photo 031_zpsidvttchj.jpg

photo 032_zpsqdokh01u.jpg

Two of the "Splash" participants running again after their dip

photo 034_zpswwbg9bfy.jpg

After the Finish

A little bit of a cool-down walk, got some water and got some goodies from these guys.  Had a bacon-egg myself,  it was really good.

photo 013_zpsvtn4kzzd.jpg

photo 038_zpsyc2pqyg2.jpg

photo 039_zps4jasdx4o.jpg

More goodies

photo 040_zps1ocowsmy.jpg

Then got some photos of the "Happy Finishers", supporters, et al.

photo 035_zpsqozulc7w.jpg

photo 036_zpsxzdx5szx.jpg

photo 037_zps52bpu293.jpg

photo 041_zpsciqaswjx.jpg

photo 042_zpsir41fr8i.jpg

photo 043_zpsxkshdlq1.jpg

photo 044_zpsvrjvb6bo.jpg

photo 046_zpst9sbkbfs.jpg

photo 047_zpsrhwyxzt4.jpg

photo 048_zpspnendwgi.jpg

photo 049_zpsfhlnxd4a.jpg

photo 050_zpsytuaghvy.jpg

photo 051_zpswfu08osm.jpg

photo 052_zpsshbulzaz.jpg

photo 053_zpsuiuog5ir.jpg

photo 054_zpsmvnmkxu9.jpg

photo 055_zpshpohn5gb.jpg

photo 056_zpstg1cfm7m.jpg

photo 057_zps5jol7v1j.jpg

photo 061_zpstt2t2khy.jpg

4 of these 6 lovely ladies got award medals

photo 058_zpsyhnmbfpm.jpg

photo 059_zpsn6qal6e9.jpg

I managed to snag one myself

photo 060_zpsgjqyjpgq.jpg

EPILOG

Small event - maybe there were some no-shows because of the weather - but a very fun one.  Really nice post-race goodies - although a post-race beer might've been nice too...is there a permit for that for a race in the park?   and a challenging but interesting and good course - and fun watching those participants doing the splash part tubing  down the chutes, even though I probably put 2 or 3 extra minutes on my finish time, but it was worth it.  As usual, AthleteGuild did their normal great job of course set-up, timing, and results.  Our MC, David - who MCs a lot of local area events - did his usual great job too and kept everything moving along. Mucho thanks to all the sponsors, law enforcement and park officers, volunteers, etc., all the folks who were out there for us both before and during the race to make it all happen.  This is the first time I've ever done this race and it won't be the last, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Definitely worth putting onto your "To Do"  race calendar list!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

As hot as it was, the quick dip in the river would have felt good, I imagine.  Especially since the hills were going to make a PR unlikely.  It looks like a nice place to run and a fun event.

Little Blue

First I thought, who wants to run all wet?  But then I read the part about the weather conditions.  EVERYBODY ran all wet!

Fun race!

Buelligan

I always enjoy your pic heavy race reports.  They deliver!

happylily

Very cool event! Thanks, Scotty!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Bacon and egg burritos!

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

Cool event. Was the tubing in a very shallow section of the river? With all the rain, tubing seems aittle dicey.

Hip Redux

TUBING!  Now there's something I could probably not get injured doing Big grin

Half Crazy K 2.0

TUBING!  Now there's something I could probably not get injured doing Big grin

Ha! My abs were really sore from the not-so-lazy river at Atlantis. I also pulled something in my leg sticking it out to try to catch a railing to get out.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Cool event. Was the tubing in a very shallow section of the river? With all the rain, tubing seems aittle dicey.

It was not very shallow...about waist-deep where the folks were coming out of the chute..and the water was moving pretty fast too, with all the rain we've had.  Thankfully no tube turnovers, no injuries, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

It was not very shallow...about waist-deep where the folks were coming out of the chute..and the water was moving pretty fast too, with all the rain we've had.  Thankfully no tube turnovers, no injuries, etc.

yikes!  That sounds scary with all the rain. And all the Weather channel warnings about floods.